Oil bath and hindu Shastra

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by veramasu, Aug 11, 2012.

1. veramasu

veramasu New IL'ite

Dear members,

I need the hindu Shastra or general hindu belief about oil bath, specifically on the following. Could you please help me
    for both men/women
    dos and donts
    1) Days wherein we can take
    2) Can we buy new dress or anything new after taking oil headbath?

3) anyother common dos and donts.

Thanks in Advance,
    Sumathi

2. abhinavkumar123

abhinavkumar123 Senior IL'ite

For men it is good to have a oil bath on Wednesday and Saturday. Wednesday indicate sharp intellect, Saturday indicates Longevity.

3. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Further Details on Oil bath enumerated here...

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. malaswami

Here are further details on Oil bath, where I have written in other Forum discussion too :)

The days differ for men and women and there is a sloka for each gender to be recited, invoking the blessings of some great souls of yore, while applying oil on the head.

For men (seven names), it is:-
    Ashwthamo Balir Vyaso Hanumanshcha VibhishaNah,
    Krupah Parashuramashcha,Saptaite Chiranjivinaah.

The invocation for men includes 7 men who are all supposed to be chiranjeevis. Perhaps the purpose is to of seek the blessings of Ashwathama, Bali, Vyasa, Hanuman, Vibheeshana, Krupa and Parashurama so that one lives a long life.

For women (five names), it is :-
    Ahalya Draupadi Sita Tara Mandodari tatha
    Panchakanyaah smarennityam mahaapataka naashanam.

The women mentioned here are Ahalya, Draupadi, Sita, Tara and Mandodari, called as Pancha kanyas (!) are supposed to destroy sins.

Usually thaila snanam (oil bath) is supposed to make one tired. There are days prescribed in astrological texts for taking thaila snanam, so that the person will not become weak or tired after the snanam. First of all why should one get tired after oil bath? It is said as per Ayur veda that the vital energy in body such as vatha, kapah etc must be balanced for good health. Ayur veda treats a person on the assumption of disturbance to any one of the 5 vital elements in the body and making correctives to them. It is said when one takes oil bath, the balance of these is upset in the body. One can feel it also. Usually after an oil bath, one will feel sleepy.

As per astrology, chathurthasi is ideal for oil bath. In a week Saturday is ideal for oil bath for men and Friday for women. It is also said oil bath in the afternoon of Fri day is good. One commonality in all these is that Saturn, the ayush kaarakan is ruling Chathurthasi (rikhtha thithi) and saturday. Friday is ruled by Indra which also benefits one with chiranjeevithwam. So the days chosen for oil bath are those ruled by planets that give long life, to offset the supposed fall in the balance of vital energies of the body.

Bharadvaja says :- Oil bath should be taken on the tithi and the days
    prescribed. Then it gives strength and health. Children, the sick people, and elders should take oil-bath and regular bath in warm water, at a convenient time. They are exempted from the rules.

Deepavali Bath : In the dark fortnight of Ashwina month, on the fourteenth day, early in the morning, oil should be applied on the body and bath taken in warm water. This is Deepavali bath. When ashwaja krishna chadurthasi [Narakachaturthi day] falls on a Sunday when the star Swathi is ruling, scented oilbath should be taken early in the morning by those who wish for prosperity. Take bath in warm water. On Deepvali day, Lakshmi lives in oil and Ganga lives in warm water. This bath removes bad luck. After the bath, wear new dress and jewels.

5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathy Swaminathan Sister,

Nice to see you back in IL Family, Glad you are brought in back to help IL sisters, Sorry if some misunderstanding had happened ( I really dont know what????)

Thanks for the great info, Hope things are find at your end, by Baba's grace, Best wishes...

6. malaswami

Thanks.. Saisakthi
    I will be posting something which is useful for other ILites.
    But as I posted in other thread, my DH will not be logging in to reply in astro threads...
    as he was ill treated by admin / mods
    Its me, just on pujas and other spiritual threads...

Nandri
    Malathi Swaminathan

7. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

So sorry to hear you hubby was not duly respected, I was just browsing that particular thread~ kula deivam, and glad to see he was able to help so many people!

Not to stir a hornets nest, but its a shame that people on the net cannot get along!

8. malaswami

Thanks Topaz...

Actually he wanted to help many in religious / astrological points.
    But he was back-stabbed at some point of issues in 2 or 3 times, and from them, he could not bring back his mind to normality and discontinued predictions and logging.

Its me and he who have a same common ID and it was the reason, admin does not want to log in to same ID. My DH told, he does not want to create a seperate ID, since this ID "Malaswami" is good, as he fixed this with some astro calculations....

sorry for lengthy reply...:) :)

Nandri
    Malathi Swaminathan

1 person likes this.
  9. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

Dear Malaswami maam,

A very nice explanation about oil bath.As you had explained,i experience eye irritation,after i apply gingely oil on head..Will follow your points from now on..

1 person likes this.
  10. malaswami

you are most welcome Insha