1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My Life is Free of Care, I 've All the Time to Stand and Stare!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 16, 2016.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]That time of the year is here - summer. I am normally given to a dread of summers and the accompanying heat. The phobia is so bad, I start dreading its arrival as soon as winter starts! (Reminds me of the story of a certain 'Buddhuram' who was going up a hill and smiling all the time and on his way down he was shedding copious tears. When asked why, he replied that while climbing up, he was thinking about how easy it would be to climb down and on his way down, he shed tears thinking about the difficulty of climbing up)!

Summer is already making its presence felt here. It's not yet too bad, but yes, winter has certainly bid us goodbye for the year.

I'm lying on my bed as usual, lappie perched in it's rightful place playing games, checking out the forums for anything interesting to read and so on. Come this time of year and I hate letting in the sunlight - it's quite a glare - into the room after around 11 a.m. So the curtains are firmly drawn and I hear the sound of the barbets outside. They sound just like croaking frogs. Nothing very exciting about their calls. I remember the time around 4 years ago when I discovered these birds. I was intrigued about frogs croaking like crazy at this time of the year. When I finally noticed the new bird on the block, was I excited!!! Then it was that I connected the sound with the bird. Today as I lie on my bed, I hear the barbets going crazy outside. Suddenly the thought occurs to me - what less is this experience than being at any resort? I have the house to myself. Various birds are chirping outside, making me want to run after them with my camera, but ...... (Wanted to share some pics here, but the option to load pics is not working for some reason).

I often complain about being surrounded by old people (including a sib who is 10 years older and a BH who is 1 year older - the kind of people who were born with wrinkles on their foreheads. They probably were preparing for lives filled with enormous responsibilities - one of which was having to endure the likes of Satchi and keep her on the straight and narrow. Can't blame them!) but I do have to admit, I sometimes get into grouchy old woman mode myself and crib about the horrible world around me - the Kaliyug, the filth, the injustice, the crime and violence all around etc. It is sometimes hard for me to see why people say life is beautiful, although I do catch glimpses of it thanks to the birds and the bees, the flowers and the trees.

Of late, when I have been forced to get out of the warm comfort of my bed at as unearthly hour as 6 a.m. and be on my way to work by 6.30 a.m. I find myself totally unwilling to endure any human natter. So I switch on the FM channel in the car and listen to soothing bhajans of the "Art of Living" group. The soothed nerves, the sun which is still wondering whether it is time to start its daily routine the occasional clouds in the sky which have a bluish or orangish tinge (depending on whether the sun has made up its mind or not) suddenly made me realize one fine day that life is not so bad at all - DESPITE the garbage on the road, the traffic, the speeding taxis et al. Let me add, no one could have been more surprised at the sudden realization that had just occurred.

I wonder if this is what growing older is all about. (NO, I DID NOT SAY AGING, SO DON'T YOU GO GETTING IDEAS!) Yes, we do slow down, but then we have the time to stand and stare. I have always loved the poem "Leisure" by W.H. Davies ever since I learned it in school. The earlier part of my life was spent ruing this life full of care where we have no time to stand and stare". Today I think about the poem, thanking Karma for giving me the time to do just that!

Which also makes me wonder about Karma. Poor lady (or is it a guy?) has always been given a bad rap for being a nasty bit of works. (Maybe it's a gal after all - considering they are always held responsible for all the evils in this world)! Look at how she has worked for me. When I was fit enough to be rushing around like an overgrown hyperactive kid, I did not have the time or opportunity to notice anything around me. I was like a blinkered horse following the straight road ahead of me. The moment Ms. Karma grounded me, I suddenly opened my eyes and started looking around and noticing all the good things in life. So do give the poor woman a break! She is not as bad as she is made out to be. If she takes away something, she compensates with something better. Or may be this is the effect of a mixed karma - maybe I did something to deserve the rap I got on my knuckles or rather on my back from her, but then "somewhere in my wicked youth or childhood, I must have done something good. Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could. So somewhere in my miserable youth or childhood, I must have done something good."

P.S. Shall share some images as soon as I am able to upload pictures here. Sadly enough am unable to add any of my favourite smileys either.[/JUSTIFY]

12 people like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,

Very nice narration.

Liked the way you talk of Karma. It is a he/she or a thing. But I do believe whatever it may be.

Thanks,
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  3. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchitananada!

Enjoyed the write up, I saw myself in many paragraphs! Like 6:00 AM being the unearthly time of the day- am glad someone else felt so too!

I still remember the poem which taught me to stand and stare from my school days,
    thought it was written by Robert Frost (thanks for enlightening me) and realised he had written the road not taken (another favorite of mine)

Many at times Mrs. Karma ji (she got to be old by now, I have heard of her since my childhood) moulds us and pulls us back to the track she wishes,that's so rude right?

Anyways thanks once again for the right up. Looks like I forgot this was an area for feedbacks and not my long stories..!:)

Ps. Will wait for the pictures!

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi
    Normally the advent of summer heralds the advent of some kind of madness but in your case, it has brought out the Karmic Philosopher. It is strange but true that unlike humans, birds and bees love summer which is their closely guarded secret. The film 'Living Desert' produced by Walt Disney shows life in its fascinating hues pictured in the scorching heat of Arizona.

Your understanding of the way Karma works may appear oversimplified but it is the truth. I have experienced it this way myself. Karma can be explained from what we have read in the Scriptures and Karma can also be explained from the experience we have gone through in life. The former is something that goes over my head but I can relate very well when it is explained through our own life's experience.

I am not an ornithologist like you and I can name a few birds that we see everyday like a crow, pigeon or the common sparrow. After I came into IL with my Avatar, I can name an owl too. I have no clue about barbets that mimic frogs. I am happy for you that you have an intimate knowledge of Nature. That constitutes the Art of Living
    Sri

4 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks Vaidehi. I am a most interested observer of all the antics of Ms. Karma! :-D

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

Hi Meril, yes, I don't remember what that time of day looked like. It's been a very long time since I ever woke up that early. Trouble is when I have to, I switch on the alarm and then start wake up 5-6 times starting around 2.30 a.m to just check out that it is doing its job!

7. satchitananda

Dear CS (@Cheeniya), such a treat to see you here! Since I have not been able to upload any images, here is a video link on youtube where you can hear a barbet's call. The kind of call I am talking of is heard at about 0.42 secs into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6z1Ut-i-c

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here are the promised pics. :-D

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  9. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @satchitananda,

Assigning gender to karma? (Ms.Karma! Nice to hear that!) A novel idea to have a different perception of one of the most prosaic concepts!

I went to 'You tube' (By the link you gave in reply). Brown headed Barbet is so cute with a call which doesn't seem to be matching up to his cuteness!

Enjoy your summer with strictly drawn curtains with the chirping Barbets all around.

Nice write up. Enjoyed!

1 person likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

You have triggered me by talking about waking up at 6 a.m. Ever since I returned from India, someone or the other called me at 1 a.m. or 2 a.m. to wake me up not knowing the time difference which invariably resulted in me remaining awake all night. But it was a trouble until I thought of waking up at the middle of the night but the moment I transformed that thought into observing the thunder, lightening, rain, early morning chirping sounds, etc., it turned out to be the best Karma.

I believe Karma is Arthanareeswara a combination of a man and woman. When it gives time for people to enjoy the nature by slowing them down from blinkers on life style, the woman's character shows up whereas when people are reprimanded for their sins especially after they grow up (again I am careful not to use the word aging), the man's character shows up.

Nature is a gift of God to the humanity and the ability to observe and enjoy them is the ability to use the gift wisely. Not observing every good thing around us is nothing but ignorance. Sometimes, I believe that birds, insects, animals, etc. are trying to remind the human beings who are lost in the quagmire of the worldly desires to pay attention to the beauty of the nature and learn to derive true happiness from within.

My Guru asked one of the devotees, "What do you want?" and he replied, "I want peace". Guru replied, "remove "I" and remove "want" and what is left is "peace". He always used to say, "I am granting you everything you seek so that someday you would ask what I came here to give you".

Under the pretext of being modest, we are focused on trivial things. What is the point in asking for small favors from the Lord, when we could ask for Him to be with us? Saturating our pleasure by enjoying nature is having a complete dharshan of the Creator. Why should be we determine what gives us pleasure and seek that? After all, everything we see around including the entire world is the manifested form of the divinity.

Viswa

1 person likes this.