1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My God! Episode 6

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 1, 2009.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sowmya,
    As KG explains in the story these one and a half lines capture the entire essence of spirituality. The rest is mere commentary.
    If only we are able to chant these lines soaking our minds in the meaning... well... what more needs to be done Sowmya?

Thanks for the fb, for the kind words you have about me.

I will let you know a secret. The next episode due on 8th May is also going to be special. Isn't it the Mother's day? And its festival time in Madurai,

Be there on time, Sowmya. Tomorrow around 5 30.
    Thanks once again for the kind words.
    love,
    sridhar

2. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar ,

- enjoyed logu’s sense of humor ! I too have this kind of phobia - whenever I start reading a book , I start yawning within 2 minutes ! Can you suggest me ( and persons like me ) some remedy for this ?

.- Logu’s words went deep inside my heart and I was totally thrilled ! How true his words are ! :bowdown

Just hearing about Nammaazhvaar’s bakthi will give us ‘ moksha’ , I hope ! :bowdown
    Thanks , Sridhar - for giving us such heart-melting events ! Of all episodes ,OMG 6 gets the first prize for an extremely nice way of narration !
    Hats off to you , Sridhar ! God bless you !
    Love,
    Indhu.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. varalotti

Dear Jaya,

(you may please call me Sridhar. This forum and this thread are all for God. Here all are equal. So sridhar should be more apt)

I am happy that you read this post and gave such a moving, touching fb. Thanks for the nice words you have about my narration. A subject like this one writes itself. My part is not much.

In the Vaishnava tradition Bakthi is raised one level more than the usual. That's the prapathi. Total, complete, absolute, perfect surrender. Prapathi is carrying the Christian prayer "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heavan" to its logical extreme.

Once I met a Muslim man who was in the job of cleaning houses. Whenever he ate, he used to chant God's name for every mouthful of food. He was very poor and was not assured of food. So he knew that but for His Grace he wont get food.

I was thinking about this for a long time. What's the guarantee that the atmospheric air maintains the correct mixture of oxygen and nitrogen so that we all can live? What's the guarantee that the level of toxic gases do not exceed the danger limit? So what your friend does is right. As we taken in every breath and let it out we should take in his name and let out his name. That is real bakthi.

When that kind of Bakthi is there we (not our body but the real we) would be immune to external sufferings. Do you know that Thirunaavukkarasar was baked in a lime kiln. But it appeared as a cool breeze and water for him, for he saw God in everything.

But Bakthi also means seeing Him/Her in our fellow beings.

A very nice fb, Jaya. Looking forward to more such fb from you.
    love,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Dear Pooja,

I am happy that you want to read Bhagavad Gita. One precaution you need to take is to forget all the hype about that book. And start reading it as any other book.

But before that you need to choose the right author. I can't recommend any one as it depends on one's tastes and preferences. There are several authors, several versions. Spend half a day in a good book shop and try to read from various authors. Choose the one who impresses you.
    One problematic side effect with that book is that you would like to teach the verses to someone else. It will create a pedagogic urge in you. You have to get past that to find the true meaning of that great work. best of luck.

Can we thank him adequately by those two lines? Can we tell him all our love with those lines? No. These lines just reinforce our indebtedness and tell us that He is madly in love with us. And that we have a duty to be true to him. Not to betray him and all.

What words, Pooja! But do I deserve them? I am not talking out of modesty? Many times I have done it in the past and am doing it now. I am not what I write. I have my own faults and defects. Some of them are so great that it is not right to use the word Acharya and my name in the same line. I am your fellow-disciple, a co-passenger in this great journey. During some parts of the journey I have the window seat. I am just describing the scenes I see to those who are sitting deep inside. That's it.

Thanks for the nice fb, Pooja. Don't forget the next date is today. Evening 5 30 pm.
    love,
    Vara

5. varalotti

That's the spirit, Shrika. When He is with us, who can be against us?
    Best of luck,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Dear Ashwini,
    This is my translation (which I gave in my reply to Maya Chaudhry)

The food I eat is Kannan!
    The water I drink is kannan!
    The betel leaf I enjoy chewing is Kannan!
    Whatever is there is nothing but kannan!

(Betel leaf is typically representative of all the enjoyments we have in life)

You want to chant the Tamil words themselves? Here's the transliteration

unnum soru kannan
    parukum neer kannan
    thinnum vetrilai kannan
    ellam kannan

As to my being an Acharya see my reply to Pooja in the previous post.

thanks for the nice fb ashwini. The next post is due today. Eagerly looking forward to seeing you there. The time is 5 30 in the evening.
    love,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Dear Indhu,

Thanks for the nice fb. Logu considered only the Bhagavad Gita as a holy book. That's why he slept whenever he read that book. Your Bakthi, my dear Indhu, is one step higher. You consider all the books as holy. That's why any book can make you sleep.

There is no need for a remedy. This is a boon. You will save on sleeping pills.

The basic flaw which hinders our spiritual growth is that we consider only whatever is good as His blessings. Whatever is bad or ugly or painful, we think they are all created by the villains. But when we grow up to think that it is He who gives us the pain as well, then at that point we start to grow. In other words we can't be choosy in God-give experiences. Koorathazhwan treated hunger as a gift from God. For Logu cancerous pain was a Divine gift.

should be true most of the time. I have been hearing about that for some time. But I think God makes exception in this rule. ha ha ha

You are most welcome, Indu. And thanks for the Best Episode Award. I now have the challenge before me. How am I going to write OMG 7? Oh My God! You alone can help me.
    Please pray for me dear.
    love,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Oh My Dears,
    Sorry, I am late by more than 20 minutes. I seek your apologies. If you want me to stand up on the bench I am game, ladies.

In a few seconds from now I will be uploading the 7th Episode of Oh My God!. This is again a super-special episode. You know very well it is festival time in Madurai. Our Queen's marriage to Lord Sundareswara was on 5th May.

Heres an accountant's tribute to the Lotus Feet of Her Majesty, our Queen.

This is again a special child ladies which requires your special attention.

Looking forward to receiving your love and affection,

sridhar

9. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    “[FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]உண்ணும் சோறு கண்ணன்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]பருகும் நீர் கண்ணன் [/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]தின்னும் வெற்றிலையும் கண்ணன் [/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]எல்லாம் கண்ணன்”
    Sorry for the late FB. Beautiful episode. It is so touching to read about Nammazhwar's love for Kannan. Thanks for sharing the sloka and meaning wiht us here. I will be definitely chanting this. When you sit and think about it, you feel God in everything and everywhere...
    Aparna
    [/FONT]

10. varalotti

Dear Aparna,
    thanks for the fb. Never mind the delay. A dancer-character in my serial HE tells a group of Westerners who question Indians worshiping many Gods. My words were 'You guys believe that there is only one God. But we Indians believe that there is only God. Nothing else, no one else. It can't be.'
    Chanting those lines will have a profound effect on you.
    Take care and God bless,
    love,
    sridhar