Office Politics!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by BDivya, Jul 20, 2017.

1. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

I know work politics is something every1 faces at some point of time.. So here iam , facing it for the first time..

My team mate,x-an unmarried lady, has got this habit of putting me down always, either directly or indirectly. here she is-she just goes on n on about how excellent she is in this job, how well she had done tasks in this project(i joined this proj like 3 months back), how she got appreciations frm lead, manger, etc.etc. this is very irritating after a point of time..
    the next is even worse, she always says that i hav received work (frm our lead)that is so damn easy and can be done in like 1 hour..whereas she has got work which is so damn difficult n needs 3-4 days to be done..she always does this whenevcer we both get work..
    now next,, she boasts herself for every tiny bit, like she came early today like very damn early in her tone..when there was no one in the office..and how she is maintaining the 9 hours in office, whereas others are just staying for 7 hours which is against the policy..(to be informed, she was also coming very late n leaving early until last week)

always questions me, tomorrw when am i going to come(time) and when i ll leave, and advice-try to maintian 9 hours in office..
    im sick of her non stop boasts n comparisons ...
    any ideas on how to cut short her but in a friendly way(here i mean-professional friendly way).. i don want to be blunt on face and end up not talking to her from the next day.. i want to discuss proj related stuff but nothing near to boasting/comparing...

dimple7 and BeingSoulful like this.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

After working for many years, I realized that human beings can be highly complicated and men indulge in gossip as well ! I have had to tell people to behave professionally after repeated attempts at diplomacy failed. So you can try to avoid any small talk and pretend you are busy and just stick to work related conversations . If she still continues, don't hesitate to let her know firmly but politely that this is a workplace and professional behavior would be expected and highly appreciated !

dimple7 likes this.
  3. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

I think there is no solution for the boasting part, some people are just made that way..

But you can choose to ignore, every time u realize its coming, push off saying you have some work, or you need to pick up something form the café or just make up some reason. Maintain the professional lines, interact only if required, avoiding conversation will help.

Why is she micromanaging your work time?! Next time she does that simply simple & say "I'll leave when I am supposed to"

I also think you should bring it up with your boss, this will create more negativity for you if you don't address it. U never know if she is pissing off other co-workers too.

4. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

thats right, and i have also realized it lately.. its just that im not of that sort to say things on face and then again talking to her the very next day for some work related things.. everytime i see her face this convo will make me not talk to her completely and thus affecting the sanity of the team.. but i also know at the same time that i should be firm at some point and put it in her head..

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

yeah right, i already told that - i ll see that when i need to leave.. but she just continues on n on and tries various sentances to make me say the exact time, which irritates me and i just want to shout at her saying- its non of ur business, i know when n what to doa nd leave.. but unfortunately cant do..
    even today she asked me in the morning the first thing when r u leaving, i was so frustated that i just turned away and dint reply.. hope she gets the msg..

BeingSoulful likes this.
  6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Nothing much you can do about it! I was once caught in the middle cabin, requested for aisle cabin and eventually moved out! Say something like....

Sorry, I have to catch up on few things or running behind on schedule or directly say, don't have time to talk to you, now.

Keep myself out of the gossiping /nosy people. There are people always try to compare against you. Cannot do much about it, other than maintaining a distance from them, changing aisle while passing by them!

7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Ignore.
    Such irritating people can be found everywhere.
    Pretend to be very busy, and don't give attention to her talks, maybe she will get bored.
    If a change of cubicle is possible u can sit away from her, giving some other reason.

8. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

Hey,
    this kind of things are mostly common in some form or other.
    In my office too, there are so much politics, no one is willing to help anyone. They just put up a good face infront of everyone and pretend to be innocent but they are always there behind to put you in wrong place/ put you down indirectly/ leave you helpless...so and so. Even if you are right, they will always try their level best to prove you wrong. BUT i would suggest you- do not quarrel with such idiots/non-sense people. Just try to defend yourself in controversies.

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Since @Nonya seems to be asleep on the job, let me pursue a line of thought that she might have followed:
    Is it a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of a flourishing career, must be in want of a team-mate to put down? :thinking::lol:

Divya, if this woman cannot be avoided, maybe you should learn to mess with her head in return. Put on a very friendly, yet quizzical look and ask: "How come you're so curious about my schedule? Why the insecurity?" With a bit of luck, she might spend more time trying to prove that she's not insecure and forget about your comings and goings!:cool:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Nonya, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  10. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Ask her everyday about her marriage plans.. Are they seeing any alliance..give her very caring advice to get married early :p and its tough to get good alliance after some time and so many medical reasons...

Do this repeatedly and she will stop talking to u .. u can stay in peace

Needtobestrong likes this.