Offer Of Promotion: Need Reality Check ! :)

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by ashima10, Jul 16, 2018.

1. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Guys,

Probably asking for suggestion the answer to which I already know.or do i ?

I went to maternity leave last year and the tem who came to cover me got a permanent position and a very small promotion after joining back within 6 months. The lady whose position I got was promoted to higher role.

The person who came on my place got Pregnant ( yes I did spread the germs; there were like 4 pregnancies after mine was announced )

And is now on maternity ;almost ready to join back. For her temp position a friend of my boss joined. ( very close friend who was jobless for an year ) she is Good and smart.

Now the situation is there is another opening at a position higher than mine and my manager has asked me if I was interested. I said no and the work required traveling ( 50 % ) and being presentable and all. ( obviously if you are going for meetings and all but is a task for me ! ) .

I’m quite in comfort zone with most of the time work from home and flexible hours. Now that temp friend of my manager has applied and I’m suddenly feeling low.

Will I be always stuck at same position with this attitude of mine is what is getting into my head. Now I have Ira who is 1.5 years and I said that now I’m not ready but will I ever be.

If you are not confused about my thread , What do you guys think I should do.

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi @ashima10

I had a similar dilemma, when I was offered a better position with longer hours that would keep me away from home for long.
    I rejected that, but came to the conclusion that another person replacing me in that job was better than someone replacing me in my LO’s life. Thats more precious, and didn’t want to miss that for anything. But it still occasionally hurts when i see that other person doing my dream job, but realized I cant have the cake and eat it too.. As for promotion, if you really want it you could get them later in life too when the kid is a little less dependent on you. Goodluck!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

thanks @GoneGirl . i made peace with the choice .

you are very right . positions will come and go . safety and security matters :)

thank you for dropping by.

4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

You did make the right decision. With an infant / toddler at home, traveling job is not an optional. There will be always folks move above or move into a better assignments.

There is no point in pushing hard, when you are needed more at home.

ashima10 likes this.
  5. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

i think more than me not taking offer what depressed me more was a newcomer applying for it. Classic case of human nature :)