1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of Roots And Rootless

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, May 13, 2017.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

flowers.JPG
    I have seen the tree since it was a baby sapling planted by the municipal corporation. We have grown old together.

On the tree bloomed beautiful multi-coloured flowers. Red and yellow. The flowers smiled, surrounded by shiny green leaves.

Like a pretty but poor girl I often saw on my way to office. Along with her mother, she used to sell roasted peanuts in a street corner wearing threadbare clothes, which indicated a hand to mouth existence.

Unlike the tree.

The tree grew large and its branches threatened to penetrate my first floor window. I informed the municipality and had it cut down to size. But its trunk managed to keep standing where it had been planted. It had sent its roots deep down inside the pavement.

The pretty little girl who used to sell roasted peanuts on the street must have grown up too. Beyond her threadbare clothes.

Most probably, parts of her were chopped off as well. But, being rootless, she waits there no more.

girl.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Doree, KashmirFlower, Srama and 5 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Ojaantrik:

What a subtle message in a brief snippet to explain what is more important in life! We never see the roots of a tree but it keeps the tree safe and active. Similarly, the ability of the human beings to grow and sustain growth is dependent on how they work towards building a strong foundation.

Let us assume thoughts are the foundation for the actions, can anyone think clearly if one is hungry? Frankly, if I continue to be hungry, I will give very little value to my thoughts or even character. Collectively, every human being has the responsibility to raise the standard of living for the fellow beings and until inequality in the standard of living exists, the roots would never develop for most. I am not talking about distribution of wealth but distribution of love and compassion to raise the standard of living of the fellow-beings.

Viswa

KashmirFlower, joylokhi and ojaantrik like this.
  3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

You could have had it pruned instead of destroying it wholesale or was that the handiwork of the municipality?

4. ojaantrik

Thank you Viswa. You understood the story as it was supposed to be understood. Yes love and compassion can win all battles, including economic battles as well. However, I don't think a story teller should be a problem solver. He stares at the world and then moves on. So long as the reader is able to see what the story teller had seen, as in your case in the fb above, the job is over. We need to move on to other stories. I remember in this connection an immortal dialogue from Zorba the Greek. Zorba asks his employer, "Why do people die, tell me that!" The employer, who is a poet and an author, answers, "I don't know." Zorba is mad to hear this answer. He retorts, "What's the use of all those damned books you read, if you don't know the answer to my question?" The employer answers, "They tell me about the agonies of men, who can't answer questions like yours."

Best regards.

oj

5. ojaantrik

Please read the relevant part this way:

Doree, KashmirFlower and shyamala1234 like this.
  6. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Oh, good. The tree survived.

7. ojaantrik

@Kamalji

Thanks Kamal. I know you would follow the story, if you found the time to read it.

oj

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@ojaantrik
    My dear OJ
    There is a banyan tree in Chennai that is said to be over 300 years old. Since it never disturbed anybody's window, it has been allowed to grow to something like 40000 square feet! Trees or humans get cut to size only if they interfere with others' right to exist! Would you have recommended cutting off of the tree's branches if they had not interfered with your rightful space? I always consider the Adyar tree as the epitome of the concept of 'live and let live'
    I admire trees more than humans. Trees have to develop and attain immortality standing its ground firmly but humans become footloose in their search for a living. Some succeed, some don't. Like all trees do not become the Banyan tree of Adyar!
    sri

Doree and ojaantrik like this.
  9. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

There are some trees that are thousands of years old. They are very complex organisms. Pity we go around destroying them. They have never done anything to hurt us.

Cheeniya and shyamala1234 like this.
  10. ojaantrik

Dear Sri,

I don't know how to thank you enough for this fb. I like it most because you have been honestly critical of my writing. As you know, I am myself my biggest critic. Since I admire you as a writer and am fond of you as a close friend, I am truly happy by this development. IL has this system of not being particularly critical. It's only good criticism that helps people improve. Wonderful, most wonderful. Be mercilessly critical. That's what satisfies me most. You know that I am telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Of course, I must add that I am not impressed by critics who don't understand the story. You saw that it was not a story about a tree, but about a human being. The latter was the principal character and not the tree. You have clarified that humans matter less than trees. But I must also thank Viswa for accepting the allegory. It was a flash fiction that I wrote after almost a year.

Thanks again.

oj

Doree and KashmirFlower like this.