1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of Dogs And Men

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya, toss away those induction rules, you and I and can become friends just over the subtitles. There has been no one in my life till date who watches television with subtitles on. The moment you confessed that sensory virtue, we are as thick as thieves. Aay! The oath of amity in our case was declared singularly upon that discovery. Friends over subtitles, rare and rarefied! Last night I was reading Alain de Botton's Essays in Love book. Part novel, part philosophy, bolstered by hilarity — non-fiction packaged in fiction. I loved the reflective style and the ensuing laugh out loud insights of De Button on love and relationships in general. He reckons people bond over trauma or life-altering situations; like fighting in trenches or surviving together in a shipwreck. An incident that profoundly rewires to reconnect in solidarity. I say, nah! people bond over silly things like food and television programs. Such life-altering traumas will rock us only for the duration of the incident, once we are back to our shabby rooms and Amazon box sets, we revert to our old habits and time-honoured friends. But I could be wrong, what do you think?

"Paul and Virginie, Anna and Vronsky, Tarzan and Jane tend to struggle against odds that confirm and enrich their bond. In a jungle, on a shipwrecked boat or the side of a mountain, the classic romantic couple proves the strength of its love by the vigour with which it overcomes adversities. But there wasn’t much adventure or struggle around to be had. The world that Chloe and I lived in had largely been stripped of capacities for epic conflict. Our parents didn’t care, the jungle had been tamed, society hid its disapproval behind universal tolerance, restaurants stayed open late, credit cards were accepted almost everywhere, and sex was a duty, not a crime. Yet Chloe and I did have a modest story of our own, a set of common experiences that bonded us together. What is an experience? Something that breaks a polite routine and for a brief period allows us to witness things with the heightened sensitivity afforded to us by novelty, danger, or beauty –and it’s on the basis of shared experiences that intimacy is given an opportunity to grow. Friendships nourished solely by occasional dinners will never have the depth of those forged on a trek or at a university. Two people who are surprised by a lion in a jungle clearing will –unless one of them is eaten –be effectively bonded by what they have seen."

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I cannot recall how Bobby Kooka made an entry into our discussion, but I am glad he did miles away from the original discussion because that was such an interesting discussion. Had I not had that discussion, my perception of Air India would have remained just Air India. Henceforth, every time I see our renovated and hipster Maharaja, I shall recall his former self holding an umbrella in Manneken Pis, that twinkle of a mischief. Also, I was reading how Bobby wanted a motif for the letter pad in Air India which eventually went on to become the motif of the entire Airlines — the Maharaja! Such ruses that make way to spatter discussions of all colours and shapes on the larger canvas are imperative ruses. Mr Frost only aspires to travel miles, we infact defiantly exacted, and in a spectacular manner!

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Cheeniya

These days I hardly go by the original titles, I identify these fours threads as

(1) the one with animals
    (2) the one with conversational q-p-q (question, plumb, question)
    (3) the one with comical references.
    (4) the one with meta-enactment of above discussions.

For now, I am able to juggle between threads by framing this mental index. When I jump out of the sofa thinking, I must tell this to Cheeniya, I accordingly shoehorn in the closest matched thread. We discussed translation gaffes few weeks ago, and recently I stumbled on Jimmy Carter's Poland visit and the translator's mix-up. There you go, Cheeniya will love this Jimmy Carter's plea for asylum in Warsaw.

"Carter arrived in Warsaw 29 December 1977 and the fun took place at the airport at 10.40 pm and in the minutes immediately afterwards. The smiling American president, the most optimistic since Woodrow Wilson had almost ruined Europe, stood before his dour Polish hosts and began to speak lyrically in response to a leaden welcome from the then Polish leader, Gierek. Seymour, aged 31, was there to translate.

Three errors followed in quick succession in what was a short discourse.

Carter first of all announced that he was glad to be in Poland. Somehow this was translated as Carter saying that he had abandoned America to come and live in Poland. (Oh my God, thought the apparatchiks, the US President has arrived in Warsaw to claim asylum!)

Next, Carter praised the Polish Constitution of 1791 as one of the three great eighteenth-century monuments to human rights. Instead, Seymour gave the impression that Carter was ridiculing the Constitution: which given how the Polish communist party had treated the spirit of said Constitution would have been just fine.

Then, finally, Carter, still smiling, announced that he he wanted to learn about the desires of the Polish. SS turned this into: ‘I want to have sex with the Polish’, something the newspapers of the day toned down into ‘carnal knowledge of the Polish’.

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    This statement is very true. I must remind you of the movie 'The Guns of Navarone', a movie made on the novel by Alistair MacLean. The bonding of the three main characters in their task of destroying the massive Guns of Navarone was splendidly portrayed by Gregory Peck, David Niven and the inimitable Anthony Quinn. When I read about de Potter, I instantly recalled this movie. I have always wondered what would happen to the bosom friendship necessitated by a critical situation once when the task is accomplished. But then why go to such critical situations? During my 25 years in the Bank, I have bonded so much with some colleagues in handling certain critical situations and I don't even know where they are now! Life has to go on. It is like a series of train journeys. You bond so much with your co-traveller during a long journey and don't even think about them once we reach our destination!

5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    There are two ways to travel a long distance like our life. One is feeling sorry that the journey is so arduous and bereft of all thrills. The other is to keep marveling at everything we encounter and lovingly caress every tree that we witness. Stated this way, one would jump at the second option but it is the greatest mystery of life that most of us choose the first way!

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    When I read this, I remembered "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb", a great satire by Stanley Kubrick who produced the memorable 2001: A space Odyssey . Peter Sellers portrays three roles in this movie. It is about an accidental command for nuclear bombing of USSR by the United States!
    Of all the political comedies of my time, this indeed was the best!

7. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

The tragedy paved way for good relationship !!

Aw!! Since my husband was also working in a bank..I could relate to all this !! Union Leaders are ...well.some of them..terrible!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2017
  8. Cheeniya

@Jeeves
    I am reminded of Vasanth's movie 'Rhythm' In this movie, both the hero and the heroine lose their spouses in a train accident. The story is all about how they grow fond of each other and marry in the end. As a matter of fact, tragedy has a greater role in affected people getting closer.