1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Obvious!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Sep 30, 2011.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Jaswant's decision took his parents by surprise. After all, he had a master's degree in management from a prestigious business school and in fact had a hand full of appointment orders to choose from. Yet he announced that, he would seek his future in the art path. And this came up after he was sent to get the blessings of their guru.

His parents were quite sure that this was just a flash of the youth mindset. They too knew that he was very good in pencil sketches. He won many prizes in interschool competitions. But that ended there. The moment he was into higher studies, he was constantly reminded about the family's poor financial status and the expectation around him. His graduation was possible, thanks to an education loan and his mom's remaining jewels.

As per his parents' wish, he went and saw the guru, to seek his blessing. His guru was being interviewed then. He was in his mid-fifties only, but had that radiant smile and a smooth accent. While waiting, Jaswant was listening to the conversation. The reporter asked harsh questions - "Why did you choose this spiritual path? From your history, I see that you came from a healthy background, was a successful business man and have a family too. Did you choose this for fame and that satisfactory feeling that many worthier heads fall on your feet? Can you really say that you denounced everything?".

The guru smiled and said, "Let me explain - I was conditioned to think about whats expected of me always. Rich and mild mannered, as well as learning the business quick. Just like any other, I married and had my family. But I was always longing for something and could never be satiated. When I thought about it, I realized that, whenever I was on the spiritual path, I was strangely happier and felt at ease. So, one fine day, I explained this to my family, who were so kind to let me go on this path. Had I been wiser, I would have achieved more, by deciding this earlier. And about fame and other's awe - they mean nothing in this path. Its always your effort and your achievement that counts. I have dined with golden utensils and those made of mud. Now they are the same."

"But doesn't it mean shriking your responsibility?", asked the reporter. "You cannot satisfy everyone every time. If you try, you will never be in a position to do what you aspire! And in your choice you may win or lose. Come whatever, its your choice! And I have never denounced anything. On the contrary, I am trying to accept everything!", he said.

Hence Jeswant took that decision.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No surprises with this one.... was quite Obvious.... guess that was the intention.

Nice story rgs!

Akila

3. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Nice story Rgs.... enjoyed it..Something really different...

Shanti

4. rgsrinivasan

Yes Akila. Thanks for your appreciation. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your appreciation Shanti. -rgs

6. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai RGS,

obviously the answer of Jeswant was apt one. Thanks for your well writings by making everyone to flash their comments with more joy RGs.

7. rgsrinivasan

This one was different, yes, for there had been no real punch line. Glad to see your feedback Sreema. Thanks. -rgs

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The only two things that saints give up are their desires and attachments. Nothing around them are more or less important. They all are the same whether they are living beings or things. They learned to accept things as is and do not bather much about what others think about them. They choose their path and stick to it with focus.

9. rgsrinivasan

Exactly Viswamitra. And I remember the quote - Shaving / growing beard is not required for a saint if only he shuns what the world shuns about [ThirukkuraL]. Thanks. -rgs