1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Nutritionist/ Dietician recommendation in Chennai for Senior parents

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by alady, Mar 30, 2013.

1. alady

alady Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Would any of you have any recommendations for finding a dietician.
    My parents who are 60+ years of age have some ailments (high cholestrol, diabetes and arthritis).

Although they take their medication and do some minimal exercise - food is always a challenge. The doctor gives very general recommendations "avoid sugar, reduce salt, have more garlic/turmeric for arthritis". But I see that these are quite vague statements. For example, if you just replace all your cane sugar with low glycemic sugar substitutes - is that sufficient? I don't think so but unfortunately my mother doesn't realize some of these things. I don't live with my parents so I am unable to help them on a daily basis. Also they live in the gulf and hence get easily lured by processed food available in the super-markets. Though me and my brother try to make them aware of many of the marketing gimmicks (low-fat, low-sugar, canned food as being "convenient" and long-shelf life, etc), many times we don't get to know some of their assumptions.

Also many of the good resources on the web for healthy diets are related to western diets. And many sources just provide "tid-bits" on what is healthy and what is not. This leads to a lot of confusion on planning and consuming the right things on a day to day basis.

My parents will be visiting chennai for a week and I would like to see if they can get the services of a nutrionist who will help keep track of their diet on a weekly basis and help them plan their diet regularly.

Or could you suggest to me the places I can call to find such a service ? Any good hospitals in chennai? If you have any thoughts on how to handle this please let me know. In case you've faced something similar, please share your experiences too.

Thank you very much!

Best,
    alady.