Nursery/Preschool/Playschool/Kindergarten Queries!

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by peekyboo, Mar 13, 2008.

Which school does your child go to?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2009.
  1. Indian School

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Local School

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. sukanya123

sukanya123 New IL'ite

Re: preschool queries

Hi latha,

thanks for that info. I called DPS and got it confirmed too. They will enroll my son directly into K1 in apr 2011.

hi racr,

As of now i have decided to put him in playgroup the whole of 2010. In 2011, I will decide which indian school to enroll him for K1..

thanks for your replies..

sukanya

2. rathnamadhu

rathnamadhu New IL'ite

indian schools or local schools

hi,

My daughter is 3 yrs 4 months old.i decided to put her in nursery.Is it better to go to indian school or local school in singapore.i am little bit confused.can any one of us clear this.she has little bit delay in language also.what shall i do.any one can suggest me.

3. poss33

poss33 New IL'ite

Re: Local schools or Indian Schools?

For pre-schoolers I would recommend a real Montessori not far from your area. Make sure that it is a real Montessori, not just a school which is using a name or affiliation. By that I mean the teachers should be Montessori trained, and they should have the full set of Montessori materials and they should also be using it on a day to day basis in the correct way. How to find that out ? Insist on observing classes for like half a day of your choice in a real class. Don't pay any non-returnable deposits until you are really happy with the school. Ask for trial lessons for the first 2 weeks.
    Pre-schools here are supposed to teach-in many things to 5 year olds ! The expectation for the child coming into Primary 1 in local schools is to know these things. (You may have observed that local school curriculum is about 1 year ahead compared to Indian curriculum. Local school Primary 2 approx matches Indian School Standard 3 level especially Maths).
    Whichever preschool you end up choosing, check and verify with them about the preparation for Primary 1. They should bring your kid upto the level for all possibilities, that means joining local Primary 1 is included. Local school is a really value for money choice especially if the kid is bright they will take better care of the kid. The taxes you pay in Singapore are put to good use in education !
    In the Indian Schools KG classes they may take it easy and typically they will recommend you to continue with their own 1st Standard. If you are going down that path, be sure that is what you want... then you will have no regrets !
    Ask around with several other parents you meet. If schools promise you something suspiciously different from what the other parents have been getting during the past years, insist on seeing their written prospectus. Here the local preschools generally seem to provide what they promise in the written prospectus at least to the level of protecting themselves.

4. poss33

poss33 New IL'ite

Re: indian schools or local schools

Hi Rathnamadhu
    The same question was also on this http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-singapore/73352-local-schools-or-indian-schools.html
    If she is delayed in language development a trained Montessori teacher will spot it and tailor activities for her accordingly (if it is a real Montessori preschool they are supposed to do that).
    Speak to her more or let her hear you conversing with an older child.
    Whether to put her in Indian school or local school is a decision you luckily can make later if you find her a good preschool which will prepare her with local primary 1 as target.

5. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi Poss33,
    Thanks for your reply.I havent got many replies here.It was quite helpful.
    Am definitely in favour of Montessori too,as it did a lot of good to my child in India.Since I will be going back to India in a few years,I was thinking about Indian schools,as it may be easier for ease of transition.I do agree with you that for a preschooler,it shouldnt really matter whether its a small concern,as long as it does the job.I'm just concerned about my daughter,as she's very timid and quiet,and not a very quick learner.All this competition and one-upmanship exhibited here may affect her.

Where will your kids be studying?

6. kakisha

kakisha New IL'ite

Hello ladies.......

Interesting.... I would like to jump in too.

I, am currently living in Germany, will be moving to Singapore shortly with my hubby and 3 yr old son. I get the point that the preschools should prepare the children for Primary1 in local schools. Well,here are my questions

1. Will there be any test before getting P1 admission? And how good is the chance for admission for someone who do not want to take up PR?
    2. I know that local syllabus is very good. But how about the teaching methods and exam pattern? Is it just the text book learning like back in India or more practical oriented like in international schools?
    3. How good is the 'English' in local school and among students? I do not want my son to pick up the 'la' accent.

I would appreciate if the mothers whose children are in local schools can give inputs guide us. many thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  7. shaloam

shaloam New IL'ite

Hi,

Welcome to Singapore,

Since your Son is 3 yrs old,he would be now entering the first stage of Kindergarten ie N1 followed by N2,K1 & K2. Then comes the Primary one.

Here all the the Kindergarten come under the ministry of education and its good.

You can choose to put him to the one which is closer to your house or the nearby area.Most of the schools do not use Singlish.

Bye

8. sukanya123

sukanya123 New IL'ite

Khalsa kindergarten

Hi All,

Is anybody's child going to khalsa kindergarten from sengkang by school van? If yes, pls let me know the time it takes to travel from sengkang to khalsa.

thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sukanya

9. HinaKhot

HinaKhot New IL'ite

School admission in Singapore

Hi friends,

I'll be moving to Singapore in the month of March. That's when my son who is 4 yrs of age finishes his school term in India.

I would like to know if its possible to get admission for him in a local school at that time; considering they start school from 1st Jan.

I would also appreciate feed back from parents who have children in local n international schools regarding their experience with their school choice

Thanking you all in advance,
    Hina

10. saththi

saththi New IL'ite

playgroup in bukit batok area

Can anybody suggest me a good play group for my 18 months old boy?

I have tried the one near to my block, it seems like the teachers were not very much interested in toddlers in his age, too active and always run here and there,they are both old and speak chinese most of the time.

Even the teacher asked me, why don't you wait until he turns 2 yrs, I was wondering why they run the play group for toddlers from 18 months?

there was no tamil speaking or indian student.

Am looking for another places to put him with atleast one indian teacher, so that he will enjoy his school hours.

ladies I really appreciate your suggestions/advices? Do I have to wait until his 2nd birthday?