1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Now And Then, I Think Of Then And Now!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@shyamala1234
    Dear Syamala
    It is better late than never! A thousand people may visit our shop daily but we get disheartened if the regulars do not show up. We start worrying if our stock is running stale. I am happy you are here albeit a bit late.
    Blame it on my mind that has slowed down considerably. When I go to bed and feel half asleep, a subject for a fresh blog storms my mind but when I get up in the morning, it just vanishes! I remember my dreams but not my ideas for a new blog. I am now like a person who claims himself to be a seasoned writer but has no clue about what to write. Suddenly an idea flashes in his mind and he writes it down gleefully. It is the story about hare and tortoise!
    I have seen in horse races people shouting 'come on, come on' at the horses on which they have waged their money. The shouting gets louder when the chosen horse is behind every other horse as if the racing is for the last place! Thank you for your shout. I'll wake up from my slumber!
    Sri

Vandhuamma likes this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,
    That is the sweetest thing ever!
    Why do you need a chocolate now? Next time I visit you, I know what not to bring for you and you know what to bring for me :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I also love chocolates .When my daughter used to be in Dubai she used to get me those special with nuts inside. Her daughter does not like chocolates. Now my son gets whenever he goes to Dubai. After food I like to have some sweet.

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,
    You racing for the last place!!!!!You expect me to believe it!!!!! Modesty is a virtue....but not to this extent!!!!
    Syamala

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Sabita,
    Once a gentleman gifted me a chocolate saying it is good for health....bitter one! Tasted like medicine. Planning to bring for Cheeniya sir?
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Srama
    The answer to this has been given by @iyerviji in her post next to yours! We know that chocolate is bad for us at our age but chocolate doesn't know it!

Srama and iyerviji like this.
  7. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    If a thing is a virtue, it should know no bounds. So is my modesty!
    Bitter chocolate tastes a bit like soapnut. I know it because I have tasted both. I have tasted soapnut whenever I had an oil bath!

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

All this talk of chocolate and during lent? My DS eats chocolate like there is no tomorrow. So for lent, he has decided to give up chocolate and the good mother that I am, I am only talking about it here while working consistently to keep all chocolate out of his sight.
    In the same spirit of lent, he has challenged me o give up rice like in rasam and rice, phew thankfully (So I am allowed to cook idli/dosa) and sir I am struggling to cook - as you know not my strength at all and I have what 40 more days to go!!! :smash2: I will get there. I know it!

9. Cheeniya

@Srama
    The mention of lent surprised me a bit. I hastened to learn all about lent The number 40 appears to be all pervading! The fasting prelude to Sabarimala pilgrimage lasts for 41 days.
    Cooking can be challenging both physically and mentally. Physically when you cannot move heavy things like the gas cylinder around. Mentally when you can't find a way to satisfy everyone with your cooking. I am a bit surprised that our mythology talks only about men like Bheema and Nala as excellent cooks. Of the 11 chefs who have put india on the global map, only three are women. One of them died recently.

Srama likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,

Going to a Christian school is helping him and us a lot. It is amazing how deeply DS studied The Bible and in the process a lot of questions on God, religion and Hinduism came about. Thanks to our travels, we were in a little orthodox Greek village for Easter last year and learning about different denominations....fascinating. It was interesting to watch DS take vibhuthi for ash Wednesday, smear it on his forehead and go to school! Teenagers are a fascinating breed.

As for cooking, the physical challenge I have is the ingredients. I simply cannot run to the store in this cold every time I need something. That is easily half an hour of my day and I do not stock :( Mentally, after teaching the whole day all I want to do is unwind put my feet up and hope that somehow food will find its way to my plate. Already I cook variety between the kids and us and now that 'us' is picky because of lent. Oh well. I will be happy to let my man cook. I need no laurels. And then Then there are days when cooking almost becomes a divine activity for me.

I don't know if you remember but kamalji had shared information on "Madhur Jaffery" very recently in a whatsapp forward. It was quite interesting and I do have her 'vegetarian cooking' book. But like I said, ingredients sir! The only one I have in abundance is love ....and my family seems happy with whatever I put on their plate. It's me the mom! Gosh!

sindmani likes this.