1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not without my daughter - by Betty Mahmoody

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by curious28, Dec 28, 2011.

1. curious28

curious28 Silver IL'ite

:thumbsup
    few months back i came across a nice book (not without my daughter by Betty Mahmoody)
    very nicely written in an easy language.. i found it quite catchy indeed... Explains mother daughter relation in a very good frame...

I'm hereby attaching the pdf for ladies who would be interested in reading the same :)
    Hope u'll enjoyeeeee

Attached Files:

4 people like this.

2. curious28

curious28 Silver IL'ite

A little insight in the book:-

My daughter dozed in her seat next to the window of a British Airways jetliner, her red-brown
    curls encircling her face, tumbling haphazardly below her shoulders. They had never been cut.
    It was August 3, 1984.
    My darling child was exhausted from our extended journey. We had left Detroit on Wednesday
    morning, and as we neared the end of this final leg of the trip, the sun was already rising on
    Friday.
    My husband, Moody, glanced up from the pages of the book that rested upon his paunch. He
    pushed his glasses up to his balding forehead.
    "You better get ready," he said,
    I unbuckled my seat belt, grabbed my purse, and made my way down the narrow aisle toward
    the lavatory in the rear of the airplane. Already the cabin attendants were gathering trash, and
    otherwise preparing for the first stages of our descent.
    "This is a mistake," I said to myself. "If only I could get off this plane right now." I locked myself
    in the rest room and glanced into the mirror to see a woman on the ragged edge of panic. I had
    just turned thirty-nine, and at that age a woman should have a handle on life. How, I
    wondered, had I lost control?.......................

3. anishastrologer

anishastrologer New IL'ite

it sounds like an interesting book. will try to read it. can you elaborate more on the theme of the book?

4. Anamtvm

Anamtvm Silver IL'ite

I've read this book before, and I have written my opinion here in IL before.
    Although a 'true' story, this book didnt strike a chord with me. I feel its highly exaggerated and an over-rated book, with twists and turns to the truth. The pen is a strong medium, and it pains to know that lot of negativity is being spread with it. Her experiences with her husband, I feel, is on an individualistic note, and she shouldn't have generalised. I have been feeling very depressed ever since I read it!

This book was made into a movie, and there have been lots of interviews done with the 'father' in this book, his version n his story is completely opposite to this book.

This is just my opinion, since all of us have different tastes :)

Takecare n happy reading!

2 people like this.
  5. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

I just finished reading this book. I liked it at the beginning(infact most of it) felt bad reading what she has to go thru to escape from this man. Especially felt bad for Mahtob.
    But like Anamtvm said, as I was half way thru the book,it was little exaggerated and has shown that all Iranian (infact all middleeast) men are bad and Women just take the abuse. Food, sanitation, habits and behaviours of Iran have been crticized like nobody's business.
    I definetly disagree with that aspect in this book. We always like our own country but she has constantly made a point of criticizing Iran and praising US and that made its far from reality.

Neverthless I enjoyed reading and recommend this.

Thanks Curious28 for sharing :)

I'm planning to get a DVD from library too..

P.S: I'm not from from middle east or any other place close to that!

1 person likes this.
  6. nitirashi

nitirashi New IL'ite

Thanks Anamtvm & ani123 for sharing your views on the book. I too agree with you guys for the criticism part for Iran but on the whole it is a good read... Could have been more nicely expressed (less critcism for Iran and less praise for US :p but anyways happy that u ladies are finding it good :) I too read it a few time back.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. curious28

curious28 Silver IL'ite

hey thank u all (Anamtvm, ani123 & nitirashi) I'm happy that u r liking the book. Everyone has their own view of looking at a problem. I feel Betty wrote all this (
    ) as her point of view. It is totally an individual view presented.
    So for me it was all just a part of her own thinking in the book.
    But the best part again being what she went thru to take her daughter along !!! amazing work !!!
    Hope many more ladies here read it !!!

8. Anamtvm

Anamtvm Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone

thanks for ur feedback also.
    I have read that her husband died in Aug 2009, without seeing his daughter, the author never allowed her daughter to meet her husband

Can I recommend another book for u?
    Mornings in Jenin - by Susan AbulHawa

tells the story of one Palestinian family over 4 generations living through the birth of the state of Israel and the never ending war that follows. It is insightful for those who know little about the Palestinian issue, meanwhile as you read on, you feel the pain the characters feel... and the novel also reminds you that when we are busy raging the war within ourselves, the grave war outside is forgotten.

2 people like this.
  9. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Anamtvm,Nitirashi and Curious28 for sharing your views.Its always good to know what others feel about what we read :)

I completely agree with you Curious28 that its just Betty's view and really appreciate her courage.

From the day I read this book believe it or not, I'm just thinking of Betty how meticulously, patiently she lived in Iran looking for one chance!!

Any obstacles we normally face (all day to day challenges) in our lives looked small and these days 'm not stressing out at all.

These kinda books really help man,this feeling might fadeout over a period but reading real stories of courageous women really going to build up our self esteem.
    But I just felt its leaving negative impression on Iranian people (as it did to me initially). But slowly when I started rewinding story of what I read and analyse I thinking rationally.But yea first impression of me on Iran was so bad...:)
    Anyways I too have done some googling about this book, betty, her daughter and her husband. Like Anamtvm said,Looks like her Husband died and even daughter denied to see him when he died.

Looking forward to watch that movie as I figured that DVD is in my closest library.

Anamtvm, Do you have soft copy of 'Mornings in Jenin' book? WOuld love to read that.If you have please share it with us.
    I will check in my library too...

Thanks again to everyone....I'm able to read these wonderful pieces and enlighten myself only because of you all.:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Anamtvm

Anamtvm Silver IL'ite

Hi Ani,

I am against sharing the pdf copies of books - since it goes against copyright policy (even I've uploaded pdf copies here once or twice) and I feel its nor right to enjoy for "free" the hardwork n sincerity of an author.

Just my thought :)

Mornings in Jenin is a fairly new book, u might be able to get hold of it in ur library... Its also available to buy online from flipkart.

Thanks