1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not talking much to in-laws, Never been happier

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by goodold, Oct 24, 2013.

1. goodold

goodold Senior IL'ite

This is not a question, but just want to hear your thoughts on this.

I currently live in the US with my DH. We have a good time here and both of us have strong careers. We are getting a house together and I am very excited about everything. I got married three years ago. That time I was in India. I visited in laws place often few months before marriage. They were very nice but I sensed MIL was very insecure since she has only one son. But her son was in the US even at that time. She constantly told me that after marriage I should not think about settling in US, (First of all I dont think she has the right to tell me what to think and what not to) because she has only one son. Also my DH had discussed before wedding about "his" wish about returning back to India, to take care of parents. I was very innocent and I felt his reasoning was fine so I said ok. Even after saying ok, MIL kept pushing the idea on me, and kept saying (now more like demading) "You MUST come back" even though I hadnt even stepped foot into the US.

DH kept telling me to pursue higher studies in US instead of looking for job. So I wrote entrance exams(not easy) and applied to college. By then I got married and left to US. I got a very good score in entrance exam, hence I was able to secure a good college nearby to my DH work place. We were very happy and I joined School. For one year after marriage, MIL only mentioned once or twice that Ive to come back in few years. But slowly I grew to like the US (especially the place I live) I have many friends here and I like the independence and privacy. Nevertheless, I kept an open mind.

During winter break I went to India. Thats where the big drama started. First MIL was very nice, and gave nice food and everything. Then DH and I went to stay at my parents and then for two days at my sisters house. Thats what made her burn(even though time spent at both in parents house was the same) The she started complaining: you are not cooking in my kitchen, when have you decided to leave US? You should give more prioritiy to in laws rather than parents, etc etc.

Then too she did all this two days before us leaving to the US. She treated me so badly, always saying one sarcastic remark over another. I was also so stressed out from the trip, I started crying very much. I didnt want to talk back to them because they were in laws.

After few days the trip was over, I came back to the US and re joined school. My school was getting very stresssful with lots of studying. BUt more stress was the thought of everything that happened. I felt betrayed. I spoke to DH about it, but he told me that his mother would never say such things. This kind of mis trust made us fight every single day. Finally one day he called his mom and asked her if she said those things to me, and the mom simply denied it. So stupid DH tells me that his mom didnt say those things and since she is denying, I should leave the topic. I was furious.

My relationship with DH slowly started changing. I used to cook lots of good food and give him food where he was sitting. He never lifted a finger to help me with household activities. All this changed. Slowly I stopped cooking and started eating frozen food. I blamed my exams. I stopped doing household activities and started telling him to do it. We also fought about going back to India. I told him I have too much commitment in the US now with my studies, and job afterwards, so I cant go back when MIL demands. This made DH very angry and told me that I "cheated" him. IF I told him this before marriage, he would have never married me. Everyday we would have petty fights.

Finally DH and I came to an agreement. He will take care of his parents, and I dont have to be in the picture. He will do what ever he wants for his parents, without involving me. IF his parents ask for anything from me, I should direct them to DH. This seemed to be a good plan and I decided to take the one way ticket out of DH-MIL-DIL relationship! I decided to be happy with DH and not worry about ILs anymore.

It has been two years now. I still remember everything MIL said to trouble me(unfortunaltely) I try to get it out of my head. I havent gone to India in these two years, so I havent seen her face. (very happy about that) But I have spoken on the phone and she now has a very "dont care" attitude towards me, like I stole her son. Sometime I hear her talking to my DH and she puts on a big drama about how she took care of her MIL but now a days some people get away with it.(she doesnt need taking care of currently as she is very healthy)

I dont speak much to In laws anymore. Usually I used to speak once in two weeks, but now, I speak only when I have to wish them for occasion. Then too, it is very brief. i dont want to speak until they say something I dont like, and they dont want to speak because they are not "sure" what offends me(duh)

Frankly speaking, Im not sure where this is going, But I must say, Not having Inlaw interference, I have NEVER BEEN HAPPIER!

1 person likes this.

2. sanilnila

sanilnila New IL'ite

Hi,

This is the normal problem all of us face.

Its the Moms luv and possessiveness for her son. she should under stand that there will be no result out of compulsion. now u cannot go and educate them.

firstly try to forget all that happened during your vacation. stop the discussions about your inlaws with your husband as that could spoil your relation ship.

Try to love your husband more which will reflect back due to which he will not be able to deny your words. Also,address him that u also care for his parents. This will soothe your relation ship.

All d best for your future....

3. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

im envy of u... hope this arrangement last forever even after u have moved to india (if u intended to)... :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You have made a little heaven for yourself dear...enjoy it.

5. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Good that you isolated yourself from what is troubling you and found peace. But remember, he is only son. YOU agreed to his plan of return to India. These two might make it harder for you in future.

You can decide to stay in US. I don't think anyone can object to it. But your husband might decide to live in India for 3 months, 6 months or even longer. As his parents grow older and become fragile, be prepared for more arguments and fights between you two. I don't know a solution to this problem but have seen it happen too often in US.

6. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Its good that you have withdrawn from that MIL SON DIL equation.
    That was a smart move.

1 person likes this.
  7. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

I really hope that your DH will stick to his words that you have nothing to do with his parents. Good luck.

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Well done. I feel we all are rather naive before we are married. We think it is reasonable to settle down and take care of ageing PIL. So we agree readily without realizing what's involved.

Then we see the mil - in most cases - is barely human to us. Plus she lies to her benefit! Why would a smart girl want to ruin her peace and do service to someone who is trying to wreck her married life with incessant blackmailing, guilt tripping, nitpicking, not to mention the lying? If the ILs can't bother to be civil and pleasant they can hang their expectations from DIL up and just hire a maid.

Once again, well done OP for standing up for yourself. Enjoy the bliss.

5 people like this.
  9. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

Enoy it hun you deserve the peace. I am so glad for you that you and your DH came up with this agreement. I too have went through a phase like you. DH asked me to only be polite and cordial and that is what I am. MIL now does not care about me and pretends I do not exist and only maintains relationship with DH and a really polite and superficial one with me. I am sooo happy with the arrangement, I hope every lady on this forum finds a formula that works for them.

1 person likes this.
  10. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Nice to read about your post esp the agreement part.
    But I hope, that you would take care of these two things in future:
    1.) Don't expect parent-in-laws to babysit your small kids , I guess right now you don't have kids
    2.) Don't expect your husband to lend a helping hand to you when your parents are in need but rather manage to do it yourself
    - This just so that you are fair to your in-laws and to your hubby.

1 person likes this.