1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not getting milk :-(

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by ssubhasr, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Subha

Babies know every thing from day 1:crazy. She is totally confused but don't worry, avoid the bottle completely(don't even pump) just put her on ur breasts as much as possible. Try to feed her in very calm(light music is fine) room. Talk to her, gently touch her head and don't panic if she cries.

I am sure she will latch in no time. Also do some research in this forum La Leche League Mother-to-Mother Forums u can get some ideas.

Drink milk, have fenugreek seeds and of course continue taking ur pre-natal vitamin(else multi-vitamin).

Regarding massaging, I did that only when I had engorgement so I am not sure whether it will increase the flow. I am sure other moms will definitely help u regarding this.

All the best.

Cheers
    Dhivya

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

My mom told me that, too, make sure you massage all around even near the arm pits, there are milk ducts there too. You can even massage your breasts lightly a couple minutes before the nursing session, that should help too. Also, like the others suggested eat garlic cooked in ghee everyday with a little bit of salt and black pepper, have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, continue the fenugreek pills. Stay hydrated and RELAX. It will only get worse if you get stressed out.

Also, before Sahana is ready to nurse squeeze some milk out and rub the nipple on her lower lip so she opens her mouth, and then gently guide her to latch on.

Do let us know how it goes. We are all here to help you. I had such great difficulty with Riya for the first month. Even with my mom around, it didn't help, and I now realize that no matter how much external help you get, ultimately it's you and your baby only. You and your baby will figure it out, trust me. Give it some time, don't give her a bottle yet. BUT having said that, just keep an eye on her hydration level and weight gain, if she's going downhill then for her sake you must start supplementing her. Do keep in touch with her pedi also.

Good luck!

Raj

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

subha,

yes the massage is for increasing lactation. my mid-wife said that. i think i mentioned in one of my replies in this thread. it not only relieves clogged up milk but also stimulates. i thought today that may be you don't wait until she wakes up all hungry and then the panic factor hits. waking her up, in your case, every couple of hours seems to be a better idea.

all the best to you... Latha

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Subha - Guess Sahana is totally confused by breast and bottle. I second the massage (esp before you feed) and NO bottle. Give her expressed BM or formula with a cup/spoon - it will be slow and messy but at this point it will only make things worse if you keep bottle-feeding her. Like everyone else has said first BF then supplement. I think Raj and Latha have made 2 excellent points - abt expressing a few drops and putting it on her lip and feeding her before she starts screaming. Are you seeing the LC again? It may be better to get Sahana weighed after a week so you know what's happening. Good luck!

Vanathi.

5. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Thank you very much for the soothing words and valuable suggestions.

Now am BF her for 20 mins (10 mins in each breast) before giving the Formula. Today morning I tried this and it worked. Though initially she pushed me away from her, slowly she started sucking. But I could feel that she sucks very slowly and without much pressure, as if she is sucking a bottle. Anyways am happy that she sucks :)
    Yesterday the LC weighed her and she said she has gained 1lb after birth.

Will let you ppl know abt her progress.... :)

BTW am BF her only thrice in the day and not in BF her during night its very very difficult to wake her up during night. Is it ok ? !!

6. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Hai Subha,

I guess you should visit www. kellymom.com. They have so much information about breastfeeding - it is a must for all moms who are planning to breastfeed. Register yourself there and ask them anything about Breastfeeding and they have an answer. Those ladies are really wonderful, especially Paula.

If you want my suggestion, here it is. First of all breastfeeding only 3times a day is not sufficient and no feeding at night is also not correct. You should breastfeed the baby every 1.5 to 2hours during daytime and atleast 3hours once during night. As regards baby sleeping and difficulty in waking up the baby - yes that problem will be there. But you have to force the baby and feed to get sufficient milk supply. I had the same problem with my second child when I was in the hospital. The lactation consultant who came, just washed her hands with cold water, wiped it with paper towel, removed the baby's clothes and rubbed all his body with her hands (I guess they were cold). And my son got up in a few seconds and nursed so well. Then she told me - "Babies will sleep and sleep thinking that they are getting food through placenta. And it is your duty to force the baby to eat ... whether breastfeeding or formula feeding".

Moreover I guess for both you and baby to get really comfortable with breastfeeding, it will take sometime - about 4 to 6 weeks. So be patient and do it. You will really enjoy it later.

Amitha

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Subha, I thought you didn't want to give her formula yet?! I thought the whole issue was that you wanted to BF and thought you weren't making enough milk. I am sorry, I am confused. Did I miss something along the way?:confused2: I see that she's only two weeks and getting breastfed and bottlefed at the same time, no wonder she's confused. Lot of websites and books say there's no such thing as 'nipple confusion' but it does exist and lot of moms swear by it (me being one of them). It takes a baby atleast 4 to 6 weeks to learn how to latch on to a breast and learn the difference between a breast and a bottle.

Secondly, from what I have read and learned, you shouldn't stop the baby from eating after 10 minutes. Let her finish one side and then if she still seems hungry give her the other side. It's important that she gets the hindmilk (the fatty milk) which doesn't come until later in the feeding. The first 5 minutes is when foremilk (more like skim milk) comes (it's more watery and quenches the baby's thirst). Don't watch the clock, watch your baby's cues. Feed her until your breasts get softer and your baby unlatches on her own. At the next feeding start at the boob that you offered her the last time and then let her finish it and then offer her the second one.

I wouldn't wake her up at night and force feed her, since you are giving her formula, and the breastmilk it must be keeping her full, so that's a good thing. But, if you really want to BF, I would feed her every one and a half to two hours, like Amitha said.

Raj, still confused :) :confused2:

8. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Oh certainly babies know the difference between breast and bottle nipple. Forget about pacifiers, my baby does not even like bottle. I bought Medela manual pump thinking once in a while when I travel outside I can pump and carry breastmilk in bottle. Not once he took atleast one sip. We tried changing bottle nipple, my mother tried feeding when I am not around - nothing worked. Finally both my baby and me are happy nursing, wherever and whenever required Big Laugh. I have done the same with my first baby also, so I am quite comfortable nursing in public.

Amitha

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Subha - I'm glad something is working. Only one question - how are you giving the formula? And to answer your doubt - 3 times/day is nowhere near enough. For a 2 week old the usual is abt 8-10 feeds/day - roughly every 2-3 hrs. Even at night you probably should wake her after 4 hrs of sleep and feed her. Raj is so right abt letting her suck as long as she wants on one side - that way she will get the fat which will keep her full and contented. Hope this weekend is good for you both.

Vanathi.

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Amitha, your situation sounds just like ours. Riya was so adamant about not taking the bottle at all. My mom tried, DH tried and then finally I gave up and now just nurse her whenever, wherever and it's so easy this way. I sewed a hooter hider and I just use it to nurse her in public.

Raj