1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not getting milk :-(

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by ssubhasr, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi Sihi
    I jus took an appointment with the LC for trw morning. I already have the bottles & other parts of the BP. She asked me to bring all those trw.
    One of my relatives in NY have this breast pump. Will ask her. Dont know how to get the pump from her...as a parcel ?!!! Any idea regarding the same ? (But she asked me not to pump using that Breast pump. She said the milk supply will increase only when the baby sucks and not by pumping :-( am so confused)

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Subha,

I'm sure the LC will clear most of your doubts. Even though a mom for the second time my mid-wife's assistance helped me a lot this time. She sat with me and guided me how to feed and help the baby empty both breasts. They can understand better your problem and guide accordingly. I know how emotionally disturbing it can be when the baby gets hungry, cries but does not know how to latch properly.... it's very very stressful. At that point we only think of somehow catering to her hunger and not be persistent with BF etc., I suffered for more than a week with my first born even with the help of a kind nurse at the hospital. But when you have the right help it'll get better.. don't worry.

All the best with your appointment. Make a list of the questions you want to ask. post-delivery we tend to be forgetful and anxious...

Latha

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Subha - All the best for your appointment! Hope the LC is able to help you and Sahana. As for pumping - your baby is the best pump and feeding will increase supply more than any pump ever can.

Vanathi.

4. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Thank you Latha & Vanathi... :)

5. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Subha

Very happy to know u r meeting LC. All the best & list all ur questions in paper. I wish u gals(urself & Sahana) a very BFing days.

Latha

Two of ur posts(in this thread) are very true. Its exactly what I went thru' only thing what I don't understand is even our own mother(in my case) insists formula feeding(she BF me for 1 yr). Sometimes it hurts since we don't get the encouragement that we need especially after delivery. But I was very stubborn and took control in few weeks & my God's grace I BF Aditi for 13 months. Now I am pregnant & my mom has started saying that we have introduce formula for baby no. 2 from the first day & so that it will easy to wean. But I have planned everything this time since I know what is coming.

Even my sis said the same thing and coz this(lack of encouragement & support) she didn't bf both her kids now she feels bad. I am not blaming my mom but when they want the best for us we also want the same for our lil one right.

Sorry Subha for my posting my experience I just want to vent out.

Anyways all the best & when u find time keep us posted.(Read Mothering magazine that will help u boost ur confidence)

Cheers
    Dhivya

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Subha, do let us know how the meeting with the LC went.

Raj

7. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Jus came from the hospital after consulting the LC. Sahana was so stubborn. And the LC herself was really very surprised about Sahana that how she get to know about the difference between the bottle and Breast Witsend. She tried so many tricks to make Sahana latch. But all ended up in ..... bonk
    Dont know what to do... ??!!!WitsendWitsendWitsend

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

so what exactly did the LC say to that??

Raj

9. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

The LC said the only way to make Sahana to latch is by increasing the flow of milk. I need to stimulate the milk production by squeezing the breasts myself or by pumping. She asked me to sprinkle some hot/warm water on my breats and do the massage and squeeze it while taking bath. Is it worth doing that ? :-(

10. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Dear Subha

Yes Subha it is indeed a worthful try (you may have pain while doing so ), kly follow what your Lc said, Do not give up my dear....Be persistent and have patience, and more importantly please relax yourself (mentally) atleast 10 minutes before u feed and have a glass of water or juice (which will help in easy flow) everytime u feed, (atleast 10-15 mts early ).

I hope u are not using any perfume or any kind of fragrance materials (powder/lotion etc), coz babies have a sensitive smelling and they may not like to latch when they smell strong odours...... have a soothing music while u feed ur baby, stroke her hands,legs and look into her eyes while feeding, she will be at ease and slowly she will start enjoying the same......Best of luck!!! and do let us know ur progress....