Not from the comic book, it is really true!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Sriniketan, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Interesting facts from Yahoo Buzz!

Gender-bender frogs:

When exposed to weed-killer chemicals, some male frogs develop female reproductive systems and the ability to lay eggs. Huh? The bizarre discovery was recently highlighted in a buzzy article from the Washington Post. In a study published on Monday, scientists concluded that the herbicide known as atrazine ("one of the most common man-made chemicals found in U.S. waters") can cause male frogs to become "so completely female that they can mate and lay viable eggs."
    The lead researcher, Tyrone Hayes, says that atrazine "causes hormone havoc" by converting testosterone into estrogen.

67 million year old snake:

Researchers recently uncovered the nearly complete remains of a giant snake from 67 million years ago.
    That in and of itself is pretty buzzy, but what makes this snake remarkable is the manner in which it was found: "coiled around a crushed dinosaur egg right next to a hatchling in the nest of a sauropod dinosaur, the largest animals to have ever walked the earth." It was a moment of predator vs. predator captured in time and discovered tens of millions of years later.

42,000 years old and still looking young:

Lyuba, the baby wooly mammoth, was discovered in Russia several years ago, was preserved for 42,000 years in "frigid Siberian river muck." The preservation was so effective that even Lyuba's baby fat remained intact.

Interesting, but true!

sriniketan

2. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear srini,

yes , that was very interesting. I heard about the snake matters but the other information are new and thanks for sharing.

ganges

3. Sriniketan

Ganges,
    Sorry for coming in late...when I read that news, everything was new to me.

sriniketan

4. vsj1985

vsj1985 New IL'ite

Hey Sriniketa,

That is a very interesting post... thanks a lot for posting.. i just read some more about the dino and the snake... very very interesting... thanks :)

5. Sriniketan

Interesting indeed, vsj.:)

sriniketan