1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nostalgic!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Feb 13, 2017.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

It turned out to be a long night for me again. How long can you lie, keeping your eyes closed, waiting to be embraced by the daily gift which you conveniently ignore? I felt my focus shifting on a number of things, right from self, to family, to fears and desires, to failures and trivial wins and finally back to self again. Feeling heavy, I walked out of the bedroom, and opened one of the windows in the hall.

This is another rented house and I don't know how long I will be moving from one to another, though I like each of these and found them have one specialty or the other. Be it the night flowering jasmine tree in the previous house where I lived or the bright big windows sending a great square of light that eyes had to shrink and see in one of the erstwhile houses where I lived and many others too, came in no particular order. Its odd to see what we remember and you will be surprised about how you could recollect something that you did not pay so much attention to, earlier. Through the opened window, there was a golden illumination and the street below, seemed to be laid in gold, courtesy the sodium vapor lamps in the street. Against the dull backdrop of the silent witnesses, namely the trees, of various shapes and sizes, the small road seemed to gain an importance which it never had. Immediately something turned inside as I was pulled in, seeing something that I had seen earlier again, as though it was just happening.

My earliest memory of these wonderful sodium vapor lamps have been associated to a tiny misery of course - myself and my brother were returning from a sanskrit class [we went there only once] and it suddenly rained then. I sat in the front of a carrier-less cycle seeing the skies above with disdain. The rain seemed to gain in strength as my brother tried to pedal at the speed of light, which alas he couldn't as I was plumpy then too. He was cajoling me saying, it would stop and was already thinning. He was and still is a master in that - make you believe that things are getting back to normal and you can never be better. I looked at the street lamps above and said, "Look! Its getting heavier!". He patted my head and told me not to look at those lamps then as they were showing a false image. By then we were both drenched, but I still hoped to reach home with some part drier. Then came the days of the small bedroom where five of us slept for several years as kids. This was on the Diwali day where the lights were on at 04:00 AM, and that friendly dull yellow light I liked more as it did not force the sleepy eyes when compared to its stark white contrasting tube-light.

And one of my childhood question of why so much insects seem to cling to the yellow light was just one of those, which I did not want to be answered in a hurry. Now, as I grow up, showing my kid about the rare sodium vapor light, I see his eyes lighting up too. Perhaps we associated a lot of fairy stories with that golden light. I was gazing that light for a long time and could spot a few fireflies elsewhere. How long do they live? Who knows? But as long as they do, don't they live a glorious life? There is a point you reach where you are not sure whether you are asleep or not. What you see, seem to bend and reveal themselves in another fashion, pushing you deeper in to an introspection where fact and myth mean the same. I remembered the stories of the little princes and princesses, guided by angels and fairies to win their fights and fears and realizing that the demons weren't actually a physical existence, today. If you ask me to explain this to any child or even you, I may fail miserably. Yet, somewhere deep within, I know that there is some truth in it.

Suddenly, the one closest to my house turned off, due to over-heating, I suppose, resulting in a darkness so complete for a few yards for a few seconds. I blinked once, twice and squeezed my eyes shut, trying to adjust. When I opened them again, I could spot some rodent darting across, taking me to the days when we were hellbent is looking for a squirrel bit guava. It sure tasted wonderful then and we spent most of the afternoon in the big guava tree then, as kids with the only worry of not finding one. Then the light came back on, but something went dark inside as though it just faded. As I tried looking for it, the yellow light faded. May be, we search for our youth after crossing that stage, forever till we live, though it might not have been happier then. I closed my eyes a bit, and turned to the other side to see that magnificent gray hue slowly lifting and seemingly merging and dissolving in the orange halo of light.

Yes. It was a dazzling day!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. Why you brothers decided not to see the Sanskrit Pundit again or the Pundit requested you guys not to come again ?! Just kidding , RGS !
    Exactly my view point.

Want to share with you how my father used to define the level of 'intelligence' using these lights- the tube light is of course the quick starter even attractive and charismatic but its durability is short lived and its usage is also limited to a small area. On the other hand , the sodium vapor lights had to be switched on early for them to start glowing but with time the light becomes more visible and dispels darkness over a large area, of course as you mentioned, attracting small insects by making them believe that the sodium light is indeed Sun and the morning has dawned. My father used to say that one has to be more silent, wise, slow, steady and intelligent as a Sodium Vapor Lamp than being quick mouthed and flashy, limited capacity and short lived glow as that of a Tube Light.

Ah! Most of us have such golden memories from our child hood, don't we ? In those small rental homes, there might not have been 'the so called space' for individuals of the household, but there was love, affection and truthful understanding between each other and the relationships were more meaningful. Don't you agree ?

Thank you RGS, for the snippet which turned me 'Nostalgic' too !

Lathasv and rgsrinivasan like this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Memories don't fade.When I came to madras, we had to live with Rs155 monthly salary of my husband.We paid Rs 60/ as rent for a side portion of a house in T. Nagar.With the balance Rs 90 I had to run the family.My MIL was with us.The first month we could not manage, as we had to buy two big buckets, invest rs 5 towards storage items like covered mud jar for salt,tamarind etc.Those two buckets purchased for Rs 13 are still with me.My husband's sister with her 4 children came to stay with us for one year as her husband was transferred.Somehow we managed with two or three mats spread on the floor.There was common bath room without latch and we had to keep a brass sombu outside to denote somebody was in.
    Now we are living in an individual house alone.Children are married and settled abroad.
    Yet memories of those days are still fresh.

jayasala 42

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  4. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Very true! Many a times we run behind so many things, but its the simplest of things, which we didn't value, makes the most impact and we realize only when we miss those.

Wonderful part of the snippet - loaded with much deeper meaning! Yes, there is indeed truth in those myths and the fairy tale patterns. Its just that the the Angels dont appear from thin air with magical wands - but they do appear, just that the heros and heroines are not Princes and princess, clad in shiny armour and glittery clothes, and the wars they fight are not that straight but in fact they are much complicated and fought for much longer periods and the result - you dont see a straight forward "happily-ever-after" but all that appears to be failure are not failure - there is something called blessing-in-disguise, poetic-justice, karma-in-effect. Its just that fact is not presented in a straight forward simpler language like the myth -its complicated, but as you say, they mean the same!

Good one Rgs! Thanks for sharing!

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,
    yes we too stayed in a few rented houses when we came to jaipur, before we built our own, lovely memories of these days.You have vividly described those memories, yes some things u cant forget eh !Good one
    Regards
    kamal

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

Your description of the twilight zone we experience between dreaming state and waking state is exemplary. Sometimes, what we experience during that period appears real when it is a dream and a dream when it is real. How the mind transitions during this period from one state to another is a mystery.

I enjoyed reading your childhood memories and actually those words rekindled mine. How we used to scramble to get a Rita ice-cream, creating a gap in the fence in a neighbor's house to enter Ramakrishna school ground, fixing a time to go to sleep based on arrival of a long-distance train, etc. when we lived in Tanjore Road in T.Nagar.

Viswa

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  7. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Sir I too stayed on rent for 5 years before we bought our own house. Luckily for us, our room owner was very accommodative and hardly bothered us. We used to despatch monthly rent cheques to his house and that's it. He had beforehand itself told us you need not shift until you buy your own house. Luckily for us his words rang true and after much house hunting and brain racking about budget we were able to buy our own one. But sir I can relate to your talks through my mother's talks. She had told us how she had to life in one bedroom flat ( sleep,cook and wash utensils in the same room ). For sleeping, there were no proper beds ( those made of wired strands-which used to touch the floor almost when 2 people slept on them ). Move baggages every 11 months, suffer room owners tantrums etc etc. I very well understand sir. My mom always tells us ( me and my sister ) you are lucky lot.. you will never understand what we went through to reach where we are now..

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear GRS,
    Dear rgs,
    All our childhood memories are associated with simple things which all of us cherish more than bigger achievements in life. Took me back to nostalgia. When we were little, we were four children, living room was our bedroom. Putting on cotton mattresses spread and folded in the morning. Chatting and talking till late night with scoldings from parents to sleep. Breakfast, lunch, dinner....everything sitting on floor. No dining table.
    Though we have all those things now our sweet memories are associated with those days.
    Syamala

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

Well, after that day, I fell sick and took almost a week to recover, Pavithra. That could have been the reason for that short episode.
    Besides I was and still am a big fan of those wonderful sodium vapor lamps that you see in the physics labs for spectrometer experiment. When you switch it on, it will start with a rose / pink halo first, which is so lovely to watch in the dark lab room. Once it turned yellow, I preferred seeing its light dispersion as it fell on the prism through the spectrometer. It looked like magic with many colored slits appearing. I linked them to the fairy stories then, telling each door opens you to something that you wished, but choose carefully. Oh! Those days!

You are right about the bonding that we had with lesser space. Today, we have so much privacy that we are tempted to go extreme at times and end up obsessed / distressed more. Thanks for being the first to provide a nice feedback to this post. -rgs

PavithraS likes this.
  10. rgsrinivasan

My father said that he was paid Rs.45-/- basic with Rs.22-/- as DA when he came to Chennai way back in fifties, Madam.
    We lived in rented house for a long time before we could afford our first small flat in the early eighties. But as the children grew up, as you just said, we moved to different parts of the city / country for various reasons and ended up renting again. And its a surprise to hear that those old buckets still remain - indicates their build quality as well as how well you maintain them. Thanks for your feedback Jayasala madam. -rgs