1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Noorah

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Poorvi1, May 23, 2012.

1. Poorvi1

Poorvi1 New IL'ite

In the silence, I await my destiny. I look around. Of course, it is not there. The clock. Sun is casting its spell at the fullest but there is the warmth rather than the heat. Around 3:30 PM, I thought. An hour more.

The month of August had always been busy for my family. My father and brothers got occupied with threshing and selling the bags of crops in the town’s whole sale market. I, my mother and younger sisters would help them separating hay and storing rice and spices to last for the year. Last August, there were no rains. The crops dried and the family’s food supply was cut by half. It was a difficult time. I, a widow aged 32 living at my father’s house, was an added mouth to feed. Then that day..

Jemal, the youngest of the siblings had wandered to the other side of the river in search of Jamuns. The Jamun trees were across the river that separated the two villages. Three days after this incident, a huge party of blood thirsty villagers came from the other side to the Chaupal. My father and brothers were called by Sherwan.

After my husband died, I had stayed with my parents for the last 20 years until Jemal was accused of stealing Jamuns by the Pathans on that rainless August morning. Revenge meant blood. For a dozen Jamuns they were ready to kill him. But Jemal was to live and see the next August.
    A useless widow of no value saved her brother’s life in a flesh trade between the respected families of both the villages. I sit here awaiting my rape which my family had forced me to accept and hence save the younger son’s life.

The smell of alcohol, several red eyes and Pan stained teeth are now approaching their prey.

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

oh god... the society is very cruel to women.

andal

3. Poorvi1

Poorvi1 New IL'ite

It is, if you happen to have time read the story of Mukhtar Mai on similar lines..

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Poorvi1,

It is a painful reality that probably happens in villages even now. Thank you for taking this difficult subject of a widow's life and writing about it in your first blog. We have to break the barrier of not talking about the difficult subjects. The only way we can fix those issues is by talking about it.

Viswa

5. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi poorvi
    Welcome to bloggong in IL.
    You have written a very powerful piece on women exploitation.It's heart wrenching to note that poverty coupled with absence of emotional support system (being a widow) pushes a woman to pursue flesh trade.

regards
    honeybee

6. Poorvi1

Poorvi1 New IL'ite

Yes Viswa.. things do happen inside the corridors or the village local Panchayat that most of dont know about.. This is much inspired by some of the real life stories I got to know .. We have to speak, if we dont there will be no use of education and Morales that we have learned and are proud of ..

7. Poorvi1

Poorvi1 New IL'ite

Its even difficult for us to go through the idea of accepting such a situation in our lives ever .. this is something that we dont connect with ourselves .. its just something that happens to people on a different land and we hear about it and feel bad .. I just wanted to think about the incident as it could happen to me and how would my feelings would be in that case.. Thanks for the appreciation ..

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Powerful post on how people take advantage of a widow. Nicely written.

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hii Poorvi,

Very powerful write-up. Yes, this sounds very similar to the story of Mukhtar Mai. One shudders at the thought of what the woman must have gone through, and to read it in words really makes one's flesh crawl.

Something that should not happen to one's worst enemy.

10. Poorvi1

Poorvi1 New IL'ite

Thanks Ramya. We know certain human being consider women only as objects. There is no free will as the objects of humanity must sacrifice themselves for others. Its sad.