1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nonsense Mil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sangeeta85, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

hey ,
    Since We started speaking to my son in English at home too as he is growing more things in school in English and thats y my son is not ease with the mother tongue language so Mil was taking to my son the other day and she said u don’t remember the language so he said not much and not the hard words so she says u do one thing call me everyday and let’s talk for 5min so u will be very good at it..
    So now I will not make that happen but if she does say that again what do I reply ..
    And
    I know some ppl kids don’t speak their mother tongue language what to u answer ppl wen they ask..

2. CuteCancer

CuteCancer Silver IL'ite

I am confused a bit about these 2 points

1. Your MIL already talks to your son right? she wants additional 5 mins in mother tongue?

2. Is she expecting your reply?

If you are worried about what MIL will talk with your son during that 5 mins, you can probably ask your son to demand stories in mother tongue from your MIL. Make sure it is definitely language class and nothing else. Your son could ask MIL for 5 hard words in mother tongue with meaning and usage (could be risky depending on the word and sentences shared as an example).

You could tell bedtime stories to your son in mother tongue to improve his language that way MIL need not pitch in for long.

IMO if it is difficult to avoid the talk at least try to control the topic.

3. charanya147

charanya147 Silver IL'ite

Hi
    I don't think anything wrong with ur MIL.....
    Its normal for any elders to say this.....
    They will find it will be easy to converse with their grandchildren in their mother tongue. .....if ur sons school demands him to learn any other language won't you allow it?.....you just give the phone to ur son and leave the room if you hate her conversation, for few days they itself will discontinue this......don't overthink and stress urself. ......grandparents and grandchildren world is different, we should not enter unnecessarily. .....just relax for those 5 t0 10 mins and enjoy a cup of tea

pinkRoseBud, Ammu2886 and SunPa like this.
  4. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

You may or may not have many disagreements with your mil. But I think you should let her have this. Your son is anyway getting more exposure to english. He will excel in it soon. 5 minutes a day conversation with grandma irrespective of language will only enrich him.

Learning any language is good for children. They will pick up faster than adults and improves their skill. In addition, learning to speak, read, write in one's mother tongue will strengthen his roots. Isn't that what we want for our kids?

Bellas, pinkRoseBud, sindmani and 5 others like this.
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Op, let your MIL do this, because in this round , the ultimate winner will be your son.

6. chasingdreams

chasingdreams Bronze IL'ite

op,
    think from your MIL's point .because u are going to be in her shoes some day. Like others mentioned, she is not trying to teach your kid anything bad or harmful. IMO, learning a new language is a great thing. And if its your mother tongue, then i don't see any reason why he shouldn't learn it. Imagine ,if you had a grand son who spoke in a language you are not very fluent in(i assume that's the case with your MIL), you would want to either lean that language or teach the kid the language you are comfortable in.Please don't be a spoilsport

sindmani and charanya147 like this.
  7. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

Why do you address this way.. . What do you mean "Nonsense MIL".....All she said was for the good of your son... .. You seem to be absolutely arrogant and rude... ..

pinkRoseBud, charanya147 and n2n like this.
  8. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

This would be an easy way to teach your son, his mother tongue. I don't know what are you worried about here.

sindmani and charanya147 like this.
  9. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Yes I talk to him the mother tongue but not frequently .. I can do the story time with him ..
    my probl is she is worst lady she tells him unnecessary and teaches bad things too .i give her all time when they visit us or I do.. my son even sleeps with her.in my other post there is list she has done ..i thought I don’t need to mention it here ..

10. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

One thing remember for life before u start calling names understand and try to know y ...
    U do not know what she has done .u can read my other post .. if u don’t have any suggestions don’t bother to just come and comment nonsense ...

shravs3 likes this.