1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

non-indian older woman + indian younger man

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by cyan45, May 25, 2013.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    I have serval male cousins married to non Indian women...there was some degree of apprehension on both sides for most of them-at the beginning. As they got to know one another, the brides (and their families) get along quite well with their inlaws. There are always adjustment issues but everything is brought out up front and people maintain their boundaries well.

We had someone come to our house to check one set of aunt and uncle after their son got engaged:) Both sides agreed that it was only fair as the same thing would have been done for an arranged marriage to an Indian. If you know someone trustworthy, inform your bf that this person would like to meet his family as a go between for your parents/you.

Good luck.

2 people like this.
  2. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

OP, its best if you ask him to introduce you to his parents first..maybe thru Skype or something...just out of concern for you...if he is serious, he will tell his parents about you soon.

3. cyan45

cyan45 Senior IL'ite

thanks all for your thoughts, i appreciate the insights (which i cannot get with my other non-indian friends).

maritalbliss, thank you for the advice re go-between person and parental introduction. i have a savvy (but single) aunt in mind. my bf mentioned a trip to his hometown in november. i am giving him until september to make up his mind (and ascertain i feel the same way as well)...so i can have enough time to get my international travel shots LOL. past international experience left me with some very valuable lessons...

i have a hunch a skype/google hangout situation may not go well (ie he may have more leverage--and courage?--if he meets them face to face). at least he can avoid a few extra months of non-stop phone calls and distressed conversations? :-(

until then, business as usual. i think i'm worth it, but who knows :)

thanks again ladies, i'm very grateful for your thoughts.

3 people like this.
  4. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Lol. Same question posted in the singles sec by a guy seems to be getting totally different FBs. Looks like the race factor took over the age factor. boy!! Are we a weird lot. :coffee

1 person likes this.
  5. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

hey cyan, first heartly welcome and all the best for you relationship and that you both will have a beautiful happy life :) :)

just my 5cents about it...

You are right some ppl feel uncomfortable if informing in skype (or other online video chat) but you really think a person who is not having the courage to do so will have the courage to do in person? Maybe the calls will come then but maybe its better so start that from a distance then being in person in that trouble? Maybe some relaxed information will be good.. like slowly getting them used to the idea (first talking about a good friend, then showing you in skype or introducing you on phone, then slowly when they guess tell more and more about you to put you in good books... then neither in person or in skype the concrete truth...) sometimes slow and steady infos are better then shock treatment and you will have the security he is willing to inform them :)
    otherwise where will you stay there initial days if they are not informed? And where if they reject you? Will he joyn you in hotel/friends/relatives place or stay with his parents?

Im not sure if i got that about his friends right.. so you guess he might hide to not spread there some rumours about the date/relationship in India at the moment? You tried to "accidentely" meet those ppl and check "a tiny bit" his reaction??? It cud give you hints about how he feels about your both´s future :) :)

That his parents highly educated and from a metropole city i wud judge as a good sign :)

btw, you are very mature and thoughtfull person to check and think about all this before, hats off :) :)

2 people like this.
  6. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

Yes you are right, but if i remember right the single section thread was speficially about the age factor as she refused to start a relationship due to that reason at all while Cyan is already since a half year in a happy relationship with her hopefully future hubby... so we all asumed he is fine with her age i guess ;) so the question about parents/society/friends and how to introduce and wether he is planning long term or it will happen became most important.. but good point out... its a point too what he feels in front of friends and parents about that factor and if they would get an additional heart attack coz of it...

7. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

OP, did you say he is the only Son ?
    You might want to check with him about his future plans if he would settle down in US ?
    IF yes then what are his plans about his parents when they get old ?
    Are his parents in a closed family circle where cousins can take care of them?
    Does he plan to get his parents to US (and live in a joint family) ?

Note, going and settling in India is not something practical for you. I mean the life style and stuff.
    Its too early to ask these, but earlier the better.

2 people like this.
  8. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

To be honest your bf will face some serious opposition from his parents. Marrying someone older is something most Indian families cannot digest. And being an Indian he may succumb to the pressure.

He may be marrying you for citizenship. It happens and I don't think you can figure out his intentions so soon!

I have not read all the replies...

9. radhikaamj

radhikaamj Silver IL'ite

Dear Cyan,

i wish all your perceptions should be true. from the past dicussion i can understand that he is having very matured attitude and mind set. but pls dont decide this will applicable to his personal issues. indian men some time became emotional fools.
    dont wait for the right opportunity to knock your door. create your own possibility to know his intention. let him to play his role in this proposal. as you said if he has backbone then we will celebrate your marriage.

All the best.
    Radhika

10. cyan45

cyan45 Senior IL'ite

dear all, thank you so much for your thoughts. i think i have enough info for a spreadsheet or flowchart now...

radhikaamj, i agree 100%.

parvathi1980, i am quite certain i am NOT his ticket to a green card (although it is a side benefit heh heh). i brought it up very soon after we started dating (he was furious) but hey, a girl has to think of ALL the options.
    the family disapproval aspect is also something i've considered. i am not surprised, and it is really a 'let's see what happens' situation...hopefully sooner rather than later.

drkadambari, i know for a fact that bf wishes to remain in the US for job opportunities. he does have extended family back home, though i don't know what will happen when they need care. he does NOT like the idea of in-laws staying under the same roof however.

kilalianju, thanks :) i am beginning to pepper references to family/friends to gauge his reaction. apparently i will be meeting his old friend/former roommate and his new wife very soon (they just got married in india). he is slowly taking steps in that direction. we had a pretty intense convo recently re this: i refused to be with someone who was ashamed to be with me re my race, age, station in life, background, etc...i have no fear in walking away if that is the case, life is too short (and i already experienced a sub-par LTR as well).

during breakfast he mentioned that he was pushing me to fulfill my professional dreams so that, down the line, there would be a good dual income...soooo, i assume he sees us together in the future...? i considered bringing up the work/family balance when kids are in the mix but nah, another time. i have to space out my emotional outbursts ;D !!! he's very good about it though, all things considered. i am also not afraid to fight back if i feel strongly about something, which he LOVES and refers to as 'the sassy girl'--what???!!! otherwise, i'm pretty low key and quiet.

thanks so much!