Non Fat Recipes By Kokila Ben Ambani

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Jan 31, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]From tarla dalaal’s book:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Menu by smt kokila ben:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I came across these wonderful non fat recipes [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]thought to share it among you all:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Non fried sev:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Ingredients;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 cup besan, 2tsp, lemon juice,1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/4 tsp hing salt to taste:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]combine all the ingredients and add enough water to make a semi stiff dough, lightly grease your hands and shape the dough into a roll, fill the dough into the sev press and press out thin strands onto a greased baking tray and bake in a preheated over at 200 degrees for 1 ½ minute to 2 minutes or till it turns light brown in color and becomes crisp, store in container and use it when required.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tips by her: Ensure that u press out very thin sev so that it bakes faster and is crisper.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Non fried rasa vadas:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]One cup urad dhall soaked, ¼ cup soaked chana dhal, ½ tsp green chillie and ginger paste, salt to taste, 1tsp fruit salt(optional)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Drain the dals and add the ginger chillie paste salt and some water and grind together in a mixie to a smooth vada consistency, keep aside.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Add fruit salt to the batter and mix well this will give the fluffy consistency.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Tie a muslin cloth on a vessel half filled with water and heat till the water boils.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Put spoonful of the batter on the muslin cloth at regular intervals and cover with a dome shaped lid and steam for 2 to 3 minutes.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Now keep this aside and make rasam as u would and pour into a serving bowl now add the vadas and serve immediately.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Her tips : microwave the vadas for 10 to 15 minutes for a quicker meal. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Non fried katchori:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]For the dough, ¾ cup maida(plain flour), salt to taste[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]For the stuffing[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 cup soaked yellow moong dhal (split yellow gram)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]¼ tsp cumin seed [jeera][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1tsp chillie powder [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2tsp lemon juice[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2tsp sugar[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]¼ tsp garam masala[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]salt to taste.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]For the dough:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] combine all the ingredients in a bowl and add enough water and knead into soft dough. Divide the dough into 10 to 12 small portions and roll out each into thin puris. Cover with wet muslin cloth and keep aside.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]For the stuffing:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] drain the dal, add 2 to 3 tbsp of water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Drain and keep aside.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Combine the cooked dal, cumin seeds, chillie powder, lemon juice, sugar, garam masala and salt and mix well. Keep aside.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Divide into equal portions as the dough that is [/FONT]<st1:time minute="50" hour="11">[FONT=&quot]10 to 12[/FONT]</st1:time>[FONT=&quot] roll into round balls and keep aside.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Take a puri and put a portion of the stuffing in the centre and seal the edges on top.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Give a round shape to each kachori by rolling between the palms.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Flatten the kachoris lightly using your hands.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Heat a non-stick pan and cook each kachori on a medium flame till brown spots appear on the surface.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Serve hot with coriander or mint chutney.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tips by her: instead of cooking in a tawa you can bake them in oven for 7 to 8 minutes at 200 deg for more[/FONT][FONT=&quot] flavour add chopped raisins and cashew nuts etc.[/FONT]

BROUGHT TO YOU BY SUNKAN

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008

2. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear sunkan mam

tnk u very much for sharing..........BTW..........what is "fruit salt"..........

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

it is the epsomesalt that we use for purging the system, in all the rajasthani items you will find them to give the full in the item and good for digestion too..sunkan

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan,

These recipes are very innovative, giving a new twist to an old method.
    I guess necessity is the mother of invention!
    Thanks for these recipes.

L, Kamla

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

yes kamla,
    the minute i got my tarladalaal issue of this month these looked damn good, though i am not sure how it would taste, still to try out, but felt if i share i might get the first feedback from you all, and this being by madam ambani should have some genuinity there.

the vada also if baked may be good, dont know do try out and let me know, so that others also enjoy what you say about this..i will also give it a shot, of course i am sure about the sev as it is baked and many stuff even samosa i have baked and found them good, brinjal slices marinated also comes out well when baked,

but this vada part on a non stick is fine and katchori too has to be tested for the taste buds to enjoy while being healthy...hope to get a feed back from you on this..sunkan

6. Sweetuc

Sweetuc New IL'ite

Fruit salt is also called Eno and available form chemist/ pharmacy. It is used to make dhokla batter fluffy and risen when cooked. Also used in instant Rava idli to make them spongy and soft.