1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Noisy Running Kids In Upstairs Apartment

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by jillcastle, Dec 29, 2016.

1. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Hi,

We recently shifted to a new apartment. The apartment above us has 2 kids. They keep running back and forth the entire day (it is worse since holiday season). We talked to them first and they promised to keep it down. It did not stop. We have complained to the management several times and it stops for a while and then continues. Running some times is fine, I can understand kids, but these kids keep running continuously. It is giving me and DH head aches and we dont know how to proceed. Suggestions pls?

(Last night they were running till 12 mid night and we are clueless how to handle this)

2. GeethaMadhuri86

GeethaMadhuri86 Senior IL'ite

Just simple . Get a tennis ball and do the reverse. Throw and hit the wall. Keep on hitting them as if you are running. Thats it they will stop .If then it cont best call cops saying that people above you can hear voices ,screams may be a domestic volilence. They might be cautioned after than :p

3. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I want to solve this as amicably as possible. Not interested in doing tit for tat stuff. Every time we call the apartment management, they say they would call and talk to the tenants. But I am fed up of calling the management every time the kids start running around.

4. GeethaMadhuri86

GeethaMadhuri86 Senior IL'ite

you can make horse come to pond but you cant make it to drink. You want to but think f them they cant control kids and if kids dont listen to them. Its out of there hands until they say see if you guys make sounds u will have ball hitting sounds coming. That way u guys can make peace. Beilev me we had a indian couple asked them, pleaded them , begged them because we would have just 4hrs of sleep and the kid was running like crazy. After that we tried this and boom never heard the noise after couple of tries

5. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I understand what you mean. The thing is our neighbor has been understanding for now. At least he is able to control his kids for a while when we complain. I don't want to do something that would push them to not being co-operative. That is why I am hesitant to do what you have mentioned.

6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Sorry! this is a bad situation you are in....I know kids cannot be leashed.. I think you can tell them to stop at a certain time like after 10 pm to morning 8 am...but other than that, you cannot ask kids not to play in their own home! can you? maybe try to call them for tea and tell them to ask their kids to play outside in park etc in the evenings, that way, the kids will be tired late evenings....good luck

KashmirFlower likes this.
  7. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Sorry! this is a bad situation you are in....I know kids cannot be leashed.. I think you can tell them to stop at a certain time like after 10 pm to morning 8 am...but other than that, you cannot ask kids not to play in their own home! can you? maybe try to call them for tea and tell them to ask their kids to play outside in park etc in the evenings, that way, the kids will be tired late evenings....

do you work? are you feeling it more because you stay at home due to holidays, kids would also be going to school soon...

8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Oops, my kids do the same. I have done everything possible under the sun to make them stop running from room to room but they still do it.

So we called the downstairs people home and apologised about this. Turned out that they themselves had three kids and that old aunty (the mil of the house) was telling me to stop scolding the kids for this and that kids will always be kids and to let them run around to their hearts content! :eek::eek:

curiousgals78, SGBV and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

It's probably those creaky wooden floors! Ugh.:mad:

When you make requests of an apartment leasing/management company, always do it in writing & keep copies. Do this a few more times. If the problem is not resolved and this still drives you crazy, you can then ask to (a) be moved to a different, quieter apartment in the same complex when one becomes available or (b) break the lease and move elsewhere since the leasing company did not meet its part of the contract. Of course, you have to keep in mind that you need to have the ability and determination to follow through on such 'threats'; plus there's a risk that, after a move, you might end up a neighbor to some metal-head!:BangHead:

If this is not an option, consider a noise-cancelling headset plugged in to good music or your favorite white noise. That is not a 24 x 7 solution, I agree, but it might bring some welcome relief!:cool:

jillcastle, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

After trying what Soka has suggested, if the problem continues, take all the documentation and go suggest to the management that they reduce your rent by couple of hundred dollars and increase the noisy people's by that amount.

jillcastle likes this.