no oven?! Let's steam cake..

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by riefa, Dec 30, 2011.

1. riefa

riefa Bronze IL'ite

hi ladies..
    Having kitchen without oven making me hesitate trying those baking stuff recipe. A friend taught me to bake cake in pressure cooker and pizza over tava. As long, pizza always turns out nice. Unfortunately my pressure cooker cake always came out so hard and uncooked properly. Therefore i had no more interest in baking stuff till
    recently i found a banana cake recipe which is steamed. It was moist, tasty and quick (18 mins only). Though no baking smell and no bit crispiness, Hubby loved it. Ladies, do you steam cake also? Let's share experience in making cake without oven. I was wondering if i can steam any cake recipe which should be baked and if i can decorate steamed cake.
    One more thing, if have to choose between OTG or convection microwave oven, which is better for baking? Pls advice.

2. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi Riefa,

One of my friends does make a cake using pressure cooker and it turns out fine..I get to eat it on bdays :D, she makes chocolate and/or plain cakes..Will try asking her about the recipe. Regarding ovens, I think OTG is better for baking, but am not sure. Lets see what others here say

3. riefa

riefa Bronze IL'ite

yes please let me know how she made cake in pressure cooker. My first trial was fine but flop after that. Dont know what went wrong.

4. vibhaRam

vibhaRam Junior IL'ite

I browsed for "cake in pressure cooker", then I got this :

Pressure Cooker Eggless Mango Cake Recipe
    Preparation: 10 mts, Baking: 35 mts
    Ingredients:
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour/maida
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 1/4 tsps baking powder
    pinch of salt
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp cardamom powder
    3/4 cup mango puree
    1/2 cup refined oil
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1. Heat pressure cooker with lid on high for 5 mts (without the rubber gasket and whistle). Grease and flour an 8″-9″ inch aluminum baking pan. Keep aside.
    2. Sieve flour, baking pwd, baking soda and salt. Add sugar and cardamom powder to the flour mixture and mix.
    3. In a bowl, add vegetable oil, buttermilk and mango puree and mix well. Now, add the flour mixture and mix with the wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Gently tap the pan on the kitchen counter once to release any air bubbles.
    4. Pour into the prepared aluminum tin.
    5. Remove the pressure cooker lid and place a separator at the bottom of the pressure cooker. DO NOT ADD WATER. Using tongs, place the aluminum tin into the pressure cooker. Close lid and on high heat let it cook for 2 mts.
    6. Reduce heat to low and cook for 40 mts. Turn off heat and do not open the lid for 5 mts.
    7. After 5 mts remove the pressure cooker lid and carefully remove the aluminum pan and cool the cake for 15 mts. Overturn the cake onto a plate and slice.

Note: Use at least 3 lts pressure cooker pan. Rubber gasket and whistle are not required for the process of baking a cake in the pressure cooker. There is no need to add water to the pressure cooker. We are not steaming the cake. Do not open the lid till 30 mts of cooking time. To check if cake is done, you can open the lid after 30 mts and insert a toothpick to see if the cake is done.

Update: I always bake in an OTG (oven) and never in a pressure cooker. I have posted this recipe due to numerous requests made by readers for a pressure cooker cake. You have to be very cautious when using a cooker to make a cake. I suggest you use an old pressure cooker for preparing cake exclusively. I have used an old cooker. If you regularly make cake in a pressure cooker it will get damaged. Its not good to heat the cooker (without water) for long periods and is unsafe.

Source : Sailu's kitchen

5. riefa

riefa Bronze IL'ite

hi vibharam,
    thanks for sharing,
    yup this cake i've tried before, nice smell and taste of mango. Though the middle part was uncooked, i put rubber gasket n whistle Lol..
    Anyway a must try..