1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

No more Pillsbury Atta / Sujata Atta in Bay area, in entire US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by GPriya, Feb 4, 2008.

1. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

I use Land O Lake unsalted butter to make ghee. I just melt one or two sticks at a time. The other good butter besides Land O lake is Breakstone. Usually it is available in 8 oz. tubs. I don't see the stick butter anymore. Breakstone is also a good brand. But we love the LandO Lake sweet butter. The ghee smells very good.

2. drizn

drizn New IL'ite

Hi,

I dont know about the "Sujata" atta not being available as I too stay in Santa Clara & saw this brand available at New India Bazaar. But this time I bought a new brand called "Shakti" & its mentioned on its pack that its cholestrol free & has soya which is extremely good for health. I used the atta & found it really nice n light. I recommend it...if of course its available.
    Secondly it depends a lot on the way the flour has been kneaded, I beleive adding a little milk, oil & sufficient water makes soft chapatis.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Yes sujatha atta is available, but in my area (Fremont) they are having only 10lb bags for about $10. Nilgris stores in Fremont was carrying 20lbs a while back for $17.99. I heard from one of the indian stores that they have started ordering for rice and other condiments from India as the ban is taken off. They are expecting shipment arrival hopefully by the end of November or early December.

For softer rotis, I generally add 1 or 2 tbsps of milled organic flax seed powder (from Trader's Joe). Since flax seed is rich in omega-3 and it has high fibre content its good for health. Plus the oil in the flax seeds makes rotis softer. Hitting two birds with a single stone.

-Uma

4. prr

prr New IL'ite

@advitha

nice suggestion ..i never thought of adding flax seed in chapati.

can u suggest any other store where i can find it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Try in any of your local grocery stores like safeway or wholefoods. Some indian stores also carry the seeds. You can roast them a little bit and powder it coarsely and store it in an airtight container. I generally add flax powder to idli, dosa or rotis.

-Uma

6. google998

google998 New IL'ite

Hey Ladies,
    I had been using Nature Fresh & Nature Best when Annapurna, Aashirwad & Pillsbury disappeared from the market, & they were both excellent. But now, even they are not available. I then switched to Swad ( the "Made in India" product & not the one from Canada) which was again quite neat. But now even that is gone :cry:All "Made In India" atta products have been banned. All these above mentioned brands were/have been good for even making rotis without oil.
    My closest bet was to use Sujata, but after having used the above brands I did not like it. It definitely has maida in it though the percentage is lesser than other available brands & I do not have an option. Its color (whitish) & its elasticity ( like that of maida) speaks for its maida content. But since I make my dough with half milk & half water, this brand has been quite bearable.

After having read this forum, I see that few of you feel that other brands like Swarna & Nirav have given softer rotis. I am kinda confused now :confused2: I need your help with the decision of which brand to buy my new stock of atta - should I continue buying Sujata or should I try Nirav or Swarna? Has anyone tried Swarna / Nirav? I wanted softer rotis with minimal or no maida. Help pls !

Cheers

7. prr

prr New IL'ite

I wasnt knowing tht Sujata contains Maida :shock:.

8. rekhas

rekhas Senior IL'ite

Swarna probably does. I bought it the last time. Rotis and pooris are bearable with some oil. Nothing great. For now though it is the only one that is okay. I wonder if I am better off buying ready rotis.

9. Sireesha8

Sireesha8 New IL'ite

Oflate all the attas available in Indian grocery stores contain Maida or doesnot taste good or doesnt give soft rotis. So I tried Organic 100% whole wheat flour from the American super market and liked it so much. It gives nice soft rotis and also tastes better. You can see that it has fiber too. very good for health. They are available in 5lb packs. so get one and try it out for urself.

Rgds
    Siri

10. ajayvenkata

ajayvenkata New IL'ite

Want indian tax preparation consultant in Los Angeles, Sherman oaks area. reply soon

Thanks,
    Ajay<!-- google_ad_section_end -->