Nine Thursdays Shirdi Sai Baba Vrat - FAQ's.

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by g3sudha, Nov 20, 2012.

1. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Sai Vrat for Nine Thursdays is becoming popular day by day. Many devotees have been benefited by it and the list goes on increasing day by day. But there are many doubts regarding this vrat. We have been receiving many mails with lot of questions and doubts from Sai devotees hence decided to post them on blog instead of answering to all questions individually. We have tried to club as many questions as we could. Still if any of your questions are unanswered or not covered in this post, you can ask by commenting under the post. Please be noted that we are answering to questions/doubts to the best of our knowledge and experience but leave it to Baba to decide whether they right or wrong. Also please pardon us if any of the answers are wrong. Suggestions and corrections are readily welcomed. I request devotees to post their queries/suggestions/corrections as comments to this post only.

1. Where do I get Sai Vrat Katha book?

Many devotees have got desired fruits from this Vrat. By word of mouth it is becoming very popular and it has won trust of many devotees. Every devotee desiring to do the vrat has this foremost question in his/her mind. Well now a days Sai Vrat Katha book is easily available in shops nearby Sai Baba temples in India. Please be noted that Sai Vrat Katha books are not published by Shirdi Sai Baba Sanshtan. For devotees residing abroad I am uploading scanned copy of Sai Vrat Katha book in English, Hindi ,Marathi ,Tamil,Telgu language. With Baba's grace and blessings Sai sister Priya and Shri Rama Rao ji have contributed to this treasure. My hearty thanks to them.

It will be a valuable service if anybody who is reading this post can contribute scanned copy of Sai Vrat book in other language too.

TELUGU SAI VRAT BOOK

TAMIL SAI VRATHA KATHA

ENGLISH SAI VRAT BOOK

MALAYALAM SAI VRAT BOOK

2. Why should I observe fast if not recommended by Baba?

This question will certainly arise in a devotee's mind who has read Sai Satcharitra. I too agree with the same. But also on the other hand I have experienced miracles by doing this vrat. More than materialistic things for which this vrat is generally started , one gets to see spiritual aspects. And devotees get more close to Baba. It is not unknown that Baba pulls His devotees by fulfilling all their wishes and then make them His forever. I request devotees not to do this Vrat just to test Baba. Only thing needed is full faith on Baba and He is sure to sail us across. In the end I leave it to reader's discretion to observe this fast or not.

3. Who can do this Vrat?

Anyone whether male, female and even children can do this Vrat. Old and Sick persons can avoid it. Still if its devotee's wish to do Vrat, Baba will take fullest care! Devotees of any caste/religion/creed can do Vrat only full faith on Baba is required.

4. Should I start this Vrat from any special day?

There is no such rule. It can be started from any Thursday by taking Baba's name and seeking His help and grace for desire for which the Vrat is taken up.

5. What is the procedure of Vrat?

Sai Baba must be worshipped in morning or in evening. Sai Baba's photograph must be placed on a yellow cloth. Clean the photograph with clear water. Tilak of Chandan (sandalwood) and Kumkum must be applied to the photograph of Sai Baba. Yellow coloured flowers or garland must be offered to Sai Baba, incense sticks and lamp must be lighted and then the main story of the vrat must be read. Sai Baba's name must be remembered and then prasad must be distributed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
    4 people like this.

2. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

6. What else should be read/chanted apart from Vrat story and Sai Baba Arti?

Again there are no hard and fast rules in this. Sai Baba Arti is sufficient, still if you wish you can chant Sai Chalisa and Sai Bavani given in Vrat book.

7. What can be given as Prasad?

Prasad may consist of some sweet, dry fruit or fruits.

8. What can be eaten in this Vrat?

Vrat can be done only by eating fruits, sweets or drinking milk, tea or coffee. It can also be done by taking one time meal in evening. It should not be done by not eating anything. A devotee had asked me whether she can eat potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes during this vrat. The answer is yes.

9. Is it compulsory to visit Sai Baba Temple?

No it is not. But it is preferred. If any unavoidable circumstances exist then Baba can be worshipped at home only. Only thing required is full faith!!!

10. Can I do Vrat if i am not at home or when I am travelling?

Yes you can. Baba has not laid any compulsions for worshipping Him. This applies in this Vrat also. Again only thing required is full faith!!!

5 people like this.
  3. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

11. What if i miss any Thursday(s) due to unavoidable circumstances?

That Thursday(s) should be skipped and following Thursday(s) can be considered in counting Nine Thursdays. The same applies for women if they are going through menses.

12. Is it compulsory to conclude Vrat on nineth Thursday?

Yes it is.

13. How Vrat is concluded?

Vrat is concluded by visiting Sai Baba temple on nineth Thursday, feeding five poor people and distributing 5,11 or 21 Sai Vrat Katha books to your friends and relatives to increase Sai Mahima.

14. What if Sai Vrat Katha books are not available for distribution?

As said earlier they are easily available in India. For devotees residing abroad they can mail scanned copies of books. Before giving/sending Sai Vrat Katha books please make sure from the recipient that he/she will do Vrat.

15. What if I cannot feed poor people?

Devotees residing abroad generally face this question. In such cases devotees can request their relatives to feed poor people in India on their behalf. If they wish to do the same themselves then they can keep food articles in any nearby Sai temple and request temple authorities to offer these food articles as prasad. They can also give food donation to any Sai temple or directly to Shirdi Sai Baba Sansthan Easy Donation Facility.

16. What if I reside abroad and cannot do Vrat on Thursday being a working day? We got a mail asking this question from a lady Sai devotee. Let me first write her question with you. She asked, ", Om Sai Ram. I have done this vrat a year back and had amazing results. Can I ask you a question? We reside in Dubai and for us to do the vrat on Thursdays becomes a bit difficult as our weekends are on Friday/Saturday. Can this vrat be done on any other days, e.g. every Wednesday or Sunday?? Kindly advise. In Baba's yaad."

This is Nine Thursday's Baba's Vrat, so it cannot be done on any other day. The reason is quite logical and i dont think i need to explain. Well, in this case, it can be advised that if the lady cannot do Vrat on Thursdays, being a working day, she do vrat by eating recommended food in point 8 above and take one time meal in evening, thus not being hungry whole day!!! If this also does not work, she can avoid doing Vrat. Baba has never advised fasting in adverse circumstances, she can pray Him whole heartedly to fulfill her wish. It is not true that Baba fulfills wishes and desires of only those who do Vrat.

4 people like this.
  4. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

Here are few more question asked by another devotee which are added below .

17. You displayed the Sai Vrat Main Story of Kokila's. Other than this Is it a must to read even other miracles/stories that is printed in the book ? Similarly all the slokaas ? because some here are just reading the entire book from introduction to last page out of doubts & taking about one hour. If they have time this is possible otherwise what are the most important to be read without missing other than the Main Story with respect to stories and Main shlokas with respect to shlokas ? Becos, finally aarathi & prarthana is must but doubt is reg, other stories & many shlokaas ? Please clarify in detail.

Ans: You should read the main stories and the related mantra and aarti with it .You can skip the introduction and other stories but If I am at your place I would only skip the introduction and read the whole book .The stories are to strengthen are faith and example for various type of devotees with various issue ,if we read there is no harm .But yes you can skip them if you feel comfortable.

18. The photo for which we do pooja, should not be removed for the entire day even after pooja & only next day morning it is to be removed. First if it is to be removed only next day ? Secondly when it is removed on same day or next, any small pooja or ritual to be done before it is removed after the day's main pooja or not necessary ?

Ans: No there is no special pooja before removing the photo.Just your sincere devotion as you lift and keep it away. It should be removed on second day .But if you are cleaning your temple daily I would suggest not to remove it but keep praying it like everyday.But clean the place as you do.

19. When choosing photo, is it a glass framed one or even the laminated one can be taken for pooja ?

Ans: There is no fast and hard rule on what type of photo. So you can use as you like and you have.

20. Can we also place the photo in a wooden chair wiped cleanly with water or only wooden plank is best choice ?

Ans: Yes you can keep the photo on clean surface.It has to be clean thats it.

21. when doing anna dhaan, can we also give tiffin items if not the main meals ? becos, in hotels, morning there will be tiffin items to buy parcels. Only in the afternoon they will have full meals or mini meals parcels?

Ans: Yes why not, any form of anna is Baba's prashad. As long as it satiates the hunger it is good to offer that.

9 people like this.
  5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Clear and detqiled expalnation.. thanx a lot..
    Om sri sairam.

1 person likes this.
  6. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

thanks aparna

1 person likes this.
  7. rathnarosy

rathnarosy Senior IL'ite

Hi sudha,

Thanks for your clear explanation and my doubts also got cleared.
    Could you please say me where i can download tamil Sai Vrat Katha books????
    Thanks in advance

8. itzmelvk

itzmelvk Silver IL'ite

Om Sai Ram - Thank you for your detailed explanation. Please upload the vrat books and also let me know if I have to do puja only to a photo or I can use a idol also.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

sudha sister,
    i have one doubt. i'm doing my 9 Thursdays vrat. i have to give one of the vrat katha book to my sister who is at my native place after concluding the vrat. but, i'll be meeting her only after a week after the completion of my vrat. so, can i give her the book when i meet her? or is it necessary to give the book at the last day of vrat? please help.