night dinner - menus for quick and easy preparation

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Natiya, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Natiya

Natiya New IL'ite

Friends,
    I used to be over weight girl, working in IT on UK Time zone and returning from office by 9 PM everyday, and now I 'm forced to stay alone in out of station for an official work. I tend to eat rice in the night and because of this my weight also increases.

need your suggestion, on the quicker preparation menus and procedures for night food... which i can prepare with in 20 to 30 mins of time.

2. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

In your free time, make chapatis and see that they are not fully cooked. keep them in the fridge, completely covered and when you are back from office, take them out and just heat them and now cook them properly. They are like readymade chapatis.

2 people like this.
  3. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Natiya,

you can have lots of oats varieties. in a kadai, add oil, mustard seeds, add little pepper powder and crushed curry leaves, add water and then add oats and salt.. cook for sometime.. yummy oats is ready..

also you can try rava idli, rava dosa, wheat dosa, ragi dosa, etc.

if you can prepare batter/dough before you go to office, then it will be very easy.

if you are preparing any curry/vegetable for lunch, prepare a little more and roll it in a chapathi/dosa for dinner. in this way, you don't have to prepare any more side dish..

if you can prepare chutneys during weekends, then you add it as a spread in your multigrain bread or whole wheat bread..

will come back if I think of something else..

2 people like this.
  4. Natiya

Natiya New IL'ite

Hi .... thank you,,, so much

5. Natiya

Natiya New IL'ite

Hi, Thank you and regards...

6. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Heya,
    Here are some ideas.Hope they help.
    1)Pressure cook any dal of your choice with some turmeric and chopped tomatoes added to it.Let it cool down.Put it into a container and freeze it.Whenever you want to have your meal just heat it and add some salt to it and boil.Take it in a bowl.Then take a little oil with some cumin seeds and red chilli powder and add it over the dal.This is simple Dal tadka.In the same way with the same base you can add spinach for Palak dal or any other vegetable or any spices of your choice and make a variety of dals.
    2)As someone above has suggested about pre-made chapatis and even chutneys even that would be quite helpful.Only I would suggest if possible while making chapati dough add some roast some soya powder and mix it in the flour to make it healthy.
    3)Always keep boiled potatoes at hand in the fridge.You can make any stir fries or curries or chaats with it.
    4)Egg chaat too would be filling enough if you team it up with readymade khakras or make a sandwich of the chaat.
    5)Always keep a paste of onions-tomatoes-ginger-garlic and store it in the ice cube trays and freeze.Whenever needed just add those cubes to the pulses or vegetables of your choice.For e.g add the cubes to soaked chickpeas and pressure cook them till well cooked.Then add chole masala and salt and cook a bit and there you have chole ready.The same way usal,rajma,maa ki dal can be made.
    6)Green chutney too can stored in ice cube trays and frozen.Whenever needed you can thaw and use it.Apart from being a dip or topping or spread you can even use it to stuff into ladyfingers and make bharwan bhindi or apply the paste to paneer and make chutney paneer.Just after cooking add chat masala and salt.That's it.
    7)Always keep yoghurt ready in the fridge.
    8)I would suggest whenever you have craving for rice try to use different puffed cereals like puffed jowar,bajra,etc. and cook them to make flavoured rice.You can even substitute rice for broken wheat in khichdi.

1 person likes this.
  7. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

You can also make some soups over the weekend...Start your dinner with a big bowl of soup that way you will tend to cut down on rice intake..Needless to say soups are super yummy .You can find a variety of soup recipes on IL itself..Eventually you can try to shop for some salad items ...Introduction of Salads and soup will help u in weight managment and its time saving.