nice dog for a small flat

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by blackarow, Feb 7, 2013.

1. blackarow

blackarow New IL'ite

hai frnds.within few months i will be moving to a small flat.i would like to buy a puppy.i like lab and rot...but don knw its possible in a small flat.pls give some suggestions

2. AnkushPatil

AnkushPatil New IL'ite

You can bring Beagle.

3. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi blackarow,

Great to hear about your interest in getting a pet dog.Since you have mentioned that you will be moving into a small flat, a large breed like a Lab or Rotweiler is not a good idea.You will be facing tough times along with the poor dog .Space is very important for large breeds.If you have an apartment with a large area with balcony space etc., it will be OK , You can take the dog out three times a day at least.... but a small area needs a smaller breed , like Pug, Daschund, Pom or Beagle etc.,The smaller breeds will be more comfortable and so will you! They too will need to be walked at least once outside daily.
    All the best.

1 person likes this.
  4. UtopianChick

UtopianChick Senior IL'ite

Shih tzu s.. low shedding.. hypo allergenic dogs. They need grooming, but you can adjust their groomign style depending on whether you want to have long hair on them or short. they are adorable dogs and have a lot of character. Tehy dont need much excercise but love to go out. They will do well in aprtments. They dont bark much like most toy breeds. They carry elegance and grace like they were meant to be ambassadors of the concept of beauty.

But watever breed u decide, remember it is a long term decision. When you bring hoem a puppy, that puppy will grow to love you and its life will revolve around you. Im sure you will love teh puppy too, but trust me when i say this, the puppy's love for u will be unmatched. :) Think well before u decide you get a puppy, and make a promise to urself and ur puppy baby that you will stay togetehr and be there for each other no matter what or where. If you think there might be a situation in the near future where you may not be able to keep th epuppy, then do not go for it. Wait until you are sure. I am emphasizing on this, because i have known ppl who are very excited when they get a dog hoiem and then give teh dog away to a shelter fro reasons like, 'we did not have enuff time' , or 'we are moving out of town and cannot take our dog with us' It always irks me and makes me thing, woudl you leave your human children behind i fyou were moving? or woudl you give away your children cozu are busy work?' Drat..!

I am only mentioning this to ake sure you know the commitment that comes with bringing home a dog. Its not buying a puppy. Its adopting a life . Its a promise you make to an innocent animal.

Im sure you ll make a wonderful doggy parent. Good luck without whatever breed you choose in the end. And do let us know. :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. Paulina

Hi U' chick,
    Very well put ! Fully agree with you on all the points.Folks can be really heartless as the number of abandoned pets prove .Some of the excuses are shocking...would they do that to their kids? I believe like you that it is a sacred commitment to be made while venturing to get a little innocent pup home.There is a lot of work involved and it is not just cuddling and petting alone ....very much like caring for a baby.
    Appreciate the way you have beamed the red warning light in advance !! BTW do you have pet dogs? we have 2 ...six year old Lab.ROMEO and a three year old Basset hound JULIUS.They are the VIP's in our family! LOL

2 people like this.
  6. UtopianChick

UtopianChick Senior IL'ite

Hey Paulina... Actually yes I do. Two shih tzus own me and they are very kind to let me stay in their house. :)

2 people like this.
  7. Paulina

Absolutely adorable !! You are truly the very best ....lucky two some indeed .
    Please do post pictures of your cutie pies.

1 person likes this.
  8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

so true UTC..its the case with most of us!!!!... eventually the pet doggie owns us and our homes and most of all our hearts.. I've got a 3yr old lab at home.. and everybody in my building knows us as Harley's family and we live in Harley's home!!!!..
    kerman

9. umaalexander

umaalexander Gold IL'ite

hi,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    my choice is pug,,,,,,,i have one too,,,, less trouble,,,,, easy maintainance,,,,
    very friendly,,,,

10. newsoul

newsoul Bronze IL'ite

Beagle would be my choice as well.