News Feeds, Sites - Suggestions ....?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sokanasanah, Oct 20, 2016.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I tend to look at the Yahoo main page often because I use Yahoo-Mail for most non-personal stuff. I have decided to bail on Yahoo as a news source because they have changed their design, favoring a multi-click/clickbait strategy for every wretched news item. I suffered it as along as I could, but it is truly annoying - it's time the annoying Ms. Mayer got her golden parachute.
    Grrrrrrr!!!! :BangHead::rage::imp::smash2:

So, now I want to revisit suggestions anyone might have for good daily news sites/feeds, general and topic specific. We did this once before ... time for a refresh. I'm not looking for random, favorite blogs here - that would be a separate thread - but daily summary fodder beyond BBC, CNN, MSNBC, HuffPost blah, blah .

vaidehi71 likes this.

2. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Summary fodders are again of two types. (1) Media outlets (BBC/ CNN) and (2) Aggregator/curated tools (BBC + CNN). I don't know if you are looking for outlets or aggregators so here is my tuppence.

Media outlets

(1) General Media outlets: New Yorker (disposed for language) , Slate (disposed for language) , Guardian (general content), New York Times (general content)

(2) Science Galore: Wired, Gizmodo, io9, Mosaic Science, Scientific American, Smithsonian, Edge (only the annual question), Quanta magazine

(3) Culture: Nautilus, Aeon, Paris Review (trivia)

(4) Misc: Electric Typewriter essays, Inverse

Aggregators

I follow Digg and Feedly; public feed in Digg but subscribe to customized feeds in Feedly. I prefer Digg because I am biased toward editorial curated content. I don't follow any voting curated feeds (I am wary of the haphazard public opinion). I want to bail out on Digg, however, I don't know what to adopt next. Digg curated this article few weeks ago. I am stumped by that article chosen by the editorial team to feature. What would have been the criteria to pick that unremarkable article.

Beyond blah and bah

My latest find is NextDraft and New Humanist (to connect with my atheist brethren)

Rihana and sokanasanah like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bumping up thread. Using some words from the first post:

Let's share suggestions for good daily news sites/feeds, general and topic specific. Not random, favorite blogs, but daily summary fodder beyond beyond BBC, CNN, HuffPost.

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I need to design a 'thank you' template for bumping threads. I had a similar inquiry not just on subscription to feeds but how that feed is organised and catered to. How is everyone wading through news in this overwhelmingly swamped media outlets. Can we also discuss our feed reading habits? How to optimize or schedule time?

I spend an hour in the morning on my feeds. First 20 minutes on BBC news. I watch the news. Don't read any newspaper. Then I spend c.40 minutes skimming the most relevant articles in the feed based on headlines and read short-reads but clip the long-reads to my Pocket app. Hmm, that's amusing. What a pilot mistook planet Venus for a plane. In the night, I go through the deferred and cached articles in Pocket and read at leisure.

Re: organise, here are the snapshots of my feed subscription in Feedly. I have organised my folders into culture, education, language, science, and magazine. I DON'T scan through each feed daily. I usually bulk read them over a weekend.

Culture

upload_2018-4-28_16-56-38.png

Education

upload_2018-4-28_16-56-58.png

Language and Science

upload_2018-4-28_16-58-49.png

Magazine

upload_2018-4-28_17-4-15.png

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018