1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Year's Eve

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

New Year is round the corner and its that time of year to say GoodBye to the going out year and welcome in the New Year. New Year's Eve is 31 december , the final day of the Gregorian year and the day before New Year's Day.The welcoming in of the New Year can be done by party, or parties, or dancing or by visiting a temple or taking part in bhajans. To each their own.
    Among the more popular attractions in the U.S is the ball dropping on top of One Times square in New York City. This is broadcast to all of America. The 1070 pound, 6 foot diameter Waterford Crystal ball located high above Times Square is lowered, starting at 23:59:00 and reaching the bottom of the tower at the stroke of midnight 00:00:00.
    Among all the New Year's eve the one I remember so vividly is the Year 1999. We were welcoming in the New Year 2000 the Millennium. And I watched quite amazed as they showed on t.v the welcoming of the millennium by the different countries across the globe.
    It was quite amazing to Australia, United Kingdom , India, many other countries then the U.S.
    It is always interesting to see how everyone's tastes and preferences get catered. Needless to say, the party goers have it made. :bananaevery major or minor hotel or resort or club has a definite something going on the eve. starts early and goes on to the wee hours.
    :party:party
    Then ofcourse there are temples or churches which also have special services or pujas to cater to the religious minded or spiritually inclined. And then if you want to stay at home and escape the hustle bustle of going out or in some cases to escape the coldness you have T.V.
    And oh do they cater to everyone or not!! The t.v. people can never be outdone. Be it live shows or live countdowns or fireworks shows or other goody entertainment.
    And dare I forget our dear Internet ..the World Wide Web..and boy does it connect you and me to celebrate the coming in of the New Year. So this eve are we all going to use this media to stay connected and wish each other the Best in 2008 ?!!

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

yeah it is that time again to sit in front of tv to see the world going up in colors in different place with different timings, i remember that 2000 also the way they went about start from one end to the other. hot hot stuff passed on, u know in this weather u feel like only munching hot stuff but not heavy anything...i love manchuris and they must be dry and hot, cauliflower is the best. my sis son bambi will make various dips, with eggless mayonnaise and so many other mixings from tomato sauce to mint chuntney and so on, so the dips are even more different in taste..with french fries making the rounds. some time i dose away and they wake me up to see the moment..sunkan

3. Anandchitra

Hey Count me in for the hot hot manchurians and oh my the dipping sauces sound soooo tempting..Sundari..Do you remember there were dire warning before the coming of the millenium and here people even stocked up on water !!! so watch t.v and munch on these munchkins and get ready to greet the new year...

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

sure thanks AC will remember u, each time i dip into the dips, have a grt bash u too..sk

5. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Yes,New Year is almost there and each year we try to do something different to celebrate it.Yes different celebrations are there for people.In Tamilnadu we can go out and roam with friends.But here indha koolir la ninaichu parkave mudiyathu.Either party with friends or potluck or hotels.This is our first New Year we are celebrating here in US and what u told about ball dropping was quite interesting.will watch it this time.Nice blog.Happy New Year 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Anandchitra

I am sure you would find something interesting to do kasisheela.. Thats how it is..Even staying home and being warm and drinking hot cocoa and having hot snacks..And ofcourse watching t.v...If you are watching t.v. dont miss the ball dropping..most likely at nbc..Stay safe..Happy New Year 2008 to you and family.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi AC,

New year, is going to be the same as every other day. may be will watch tv programmes in the night. then listen to music and read, call veda and wish him and go to sleep. maybe tomorrow will take the kids to the anjaneyar, raja rajeswari temple and a book fair, and cook their favourites.. DS will be going for his cricket coaching early morning....

will not eat after 7.30-8.00 in the night. so may be a little herbal tea...thats all....have made cookies for the kids and also will pop some popcorn for them....

happy new year to you,ds,dh..have a great time...

8. Anandchitra

Shanthi wishing you and Veda and family a Very Happy Healthy and Prosperous New Year..Liked reading your plan for the eve..Very laid back and relaxed..Am going to try out next time..