1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New year without mythili [mithila kannan]

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by lakshiminarayan, Dec 31, 2011.

1. lakshiminarayan

lakshiminarayan Platinum IL'ite

NEW YEAR WITHOUT MYTHILI [MITHILA KANNAN]

The beginning of the New Year 2012 is staring at me as for the first time in the last 42 years I will be facing it without Mythili. The impending loss loomed large when she battled for her life and survived by a whisker in Jan 2010. No doubt, life was never the same again but both of us decided and pretended that everything was normal. When her blood circulation weakened as a result of Pulmonary Arterial Thrombosis, she lost the will to survive. When I still held on with my hope for a dramatic recovery she said” I have lost the zest for life and the strength to fight”. Very often she called me, held my hand and profusely apologized for having subjected me to physical and mental strain. I took care of her as a baby and satisfied her every whim. This was my way of repaying the deep debt of gratitude I owed her for being a pillar of support through thick and thin and deftly steering me through official and family imbroglios. The final departure was peaceful and took place inside the lift between second and ground floor. I could not and still cannot believe that she protested against being taken to the hospital while we were in the second floor but had slumped by the time the lift reached the ground floor. The expression on her face was one of triumph that she had her own way at last. Most often in our married life, she had deferred to my judgment and decision but perhaps this was her last chance to show that she had a will of her own and proclaim “enough was enough”

How is life without Mythili? The flower has withered but the fragrance lingers. I miss the feeble good mornings. I miss serving her freshly brewed filter coffee. Over a period of time I had mastered the art to meet her exacting standards. I miss sharing the highlight of the days’ news and FBs from her fellow Ilites. I miss her blush of discomfort while sharing a bawdy joke. I miss coaxing her to walk to the dining area. I miss giving her the cup of warm milk while retiring for the night.

She was a simple and uncomplicated person. She would burst into laughter at the slightest provocation. I therefore called her Bubbles and shortened it to Babs. While playing cards i.e. Rummy she would give herself away by laughing when got a natural sequence and jokers. Her imagination ran riot all the time and knowing that I would make fun of her she would always preface her statement with”I may be totally wrong” and blush when I replied” You are absolutely right”. She could weave a story out of a simple anecdote like a silk saree from the mulberry bush. No wonder she had a fan following in Indus Ladies and the forum kindled her intellectual and imaginative best. She did not allow me to even correct the typographical errors.

Today, as I march on without her serene presence in my life, I am hopeful that I will meet her sometime somewhere. Till then ‘Adieu and wish you a Happy New Year wherever you are Mythili.’

16 people like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

LNsir,

We all miss her. my heart felt condolences to you. It was your love for her and her love for fellow human that kept her fighting till the end.

She still lives with all of us through her chirpy and lovely blogs..

3. kkrish

kkrish Finest Post Winner

Dear LN Sir!
    I am very sorry to hear of Mrs. Mythili! It is a shock to me.

Though my interactions with her were just a couple, her writings have had a strong impact on me. Through her writings came out her wonderful personality.
    I am the loser for not having had a chance to interact wth her more. It would have been my privilege.

Your writing above has brought tears to my eyes. This is how a marriage, a couple, and love ought to be.
    I feel your pain sir. I feel the bleakness you believe the future holds, having lost someone so precious.

Please take heart sir, that she surely is still with you, welcoming the new year in her own happy style. I am sure she wishes you only the best for the coming years.

I am not sure if what I have written is right or wrong given your loss. But it is from my heart Sir.

Take care Sir, for Mrs. Mythili.

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN Sir,

I was tearing up as I read the post. Since I have met you both, I know each and every line here to be true and straight from the heart.. I can never forget mithila ma'am's smiling face and her sense of humour so can imagine how tough it must be for you.

My heartfelt condolences, LN sir and Do take care of yourself.

Your presence in IL would be very welcome and may fill the void that ma'am (though I called her that, as it is difficult to break habits, I always thought of her as one of my favourite aunts. :)) has left here, a little bit at least.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN,

i came to know about mithili a day after she passed away. She was a fighter, thgey way she foguht her way, neer complaining.and how can i forget yr hospitality when i visited u for lunch in chennai with my brother in law. i can never forget the love and affection u gave the two strangers.

Yes we miss her blogs, we miss her as a person, but i do know the loss to u is much much more, for evfery morning u will feel it, but be sure, that she is in good hands of the lord, God bless her soul, and i request u to please continue with yr blogging, that will keep u occupied and us entertained, u write damn well.You owe it to her, and she will be happy to see u blogging and she will be hapoopy to see u happy.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshminaryan Sir,

I had the pleasure of interacting with Mythili Ma'am a few times on PM. I always wanted to meet her and unfortunately I did know until it was too late that she was in Bangalore for a couple of years in between. For whatever reason, I was not destined to meet both of you in person.

However, I grew to love Ma'am's writings and her through them. I can only imagine how great the void she has left in your life would be, when I say that she has left a huge void here on IL. No platitudes would help fill that gap. All I can say from the bottom of my heart is I am really relieved for her sake - she is now beyond all the physical sufferings and pain she underwent.

Both of you were very lucky to have each other and the love you shared. That and the care and affection you lavished on her will stay will you all your life and will help you feel her presence with you at all times.

Looking forward to seeing your writings here to help us cope with Ma'am's absence here. It will give you as well as us a feeling of being still connected to her.

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN sir
    I had tears as I read through your post. I still can't believe she is no more with us all.
    I know I wanted to meet her so badly this time when I visited Bangalore but even if she spoke a bit she use to start coughing and I never wanted to trouble her. I know when an Ilite comes to meet her she use to be so excited. But I missed that chance forever for meeing her personally.
    Her posts use to be an inspiration to many of us all here, use to be so simple with lots of value into them.

My Heart felt condolence to you. I know no one can fill her loss. But I am sure these sweet memories of her will give you courage.

Hope you continue writing for us all again.

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN
    A New Year will dawn in a few hours from now and for the first time, the physical presence of your beloved Mythili will be replaced by the fragrant memories of her. If we were to believe Khalil Gibran, memories have a greater impact on us than physical presence. 42 years of togetherness cannot be nullified by mere death. This is a companionship of life time and beyond. You have so profoundly stated that the flower has withered but the fragrance lingers. That's the beauty of marital bliss.

Why do you say 'wherever you are Mythili'? She is within you, safely lodged in your heart. Celebrate her presence there.
    Sri

4 people like this.
  9. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Bronze IL'ite

shocked and surprised to see the news
    i visit iL when i really feel lost and lonely and today is one of such days when i was musing in the blues thinking of how the whole year passed by ...
    i know it would be v difficult but memories keep everything fresh and living
    radha

10. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Sir, I got tears when I read this!!
    very sorry to hear this news..I didnt expect it too..May her soul rest in peace..
    I doono what to tell..am speechless..