New Senior Making Life Hell

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Sapna56, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All
    Recently we had a new hire who is senior to me joined the team. I find him very weird kind of person.
    Whenever a discussion happens and we kind of get into conversation, he always tries to argue with whatever opinion you give. And he keeps on arguing endlessly. I see 2 reasons for this. He has knowledge and time to get into arguments.
    This was fine until it didn't hampered my contribution to team. Of late he has started finding out every possible nook in my work. He is trying by hook or crook to highlight that there is a better way of doing how i am completing my work.
    There could be hundreds and thousands of different ways a functionality can be done, my point is to get the task done with fair to good understanding and within time.
    Not everyone is as genius as he can be. Also not everyone has time and energy as he has to find out errors and nooks in every other thing the team does.
    He not just does this to my work but with the whole team.
    And my dear boss has been pampering him so much that he has become a brat. It was so good before he joined. Because of this kind of attitude of him, i am having so much troubles, i have to do overtime and he also kind of micro manages stuff.
    Being a mother of toddler i am finding it difficult to keep pace with this and not able to take these brat's (senior) tantrums anymore.
    I am thinking of having a heated discussion with my manager about this.
    If it doesn't work i am gone start looking for moving out of the team. But i again feel why only coz of him. As my team and work is otherwise cool and i was able to achieve work life balance.
    Let me know your advice.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This is a novel way to get the head-count down. The company may have introduced a pest in your midst, so that people would leave (on their own) and save money for the company. If that one guy can do everybody's job, and do it better as well, surely, there is a surfeit of HR in the company. They can lose some of the people they currently have, and save on their payroll as well.

Is there a difference in cost to the company if they fire a few people versus the employees resign, and leave on their own ?

I think you ought to look for a different place to work. It is always good to build your own safety net, rather than be surprised without one. Go for it.

ChennaiExpress and Sapna56 like this.
  3. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

hi
    i dont see cost difference here would matter. Infact we got more funding than before. Its the issue with the guy. I see it cultural difference + the guy's characteristic traits.

4. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Is it possible to make this person as your mentor ( you don't have to ask this openly ).

If there is a better way to do it, it is a great learning opportunity. ( I understand the toddler part ).

So, before you start any work, would it be possible to go and have a small talk with him on the problem you are going to solve and wonder out aloud that you wished there were a better way to do this.

( Also, this senior person might not be coming to work thinking he is going to make everyone's life as hell. He might want to show he is smart, he wants to feel important. Give him what he wants and make him feel important and smart. I know this means that we have to leave our ego out the door, but sometimes we have to try this route and be humble ourselves ).

Whether you like it or not, try his method. After a while you might be further ahead on understanding how he thinks and you might end up learning more and getting on his side.

Don't rush into having a heated discussion with your manager or jumping teams. Keep an eye out for other positions nonetheless.

If it comes down to discussing with your manager ( do it only after giving a few options like the above a try. after all, jumping to another job doesn't automatically mean it will be a better position as the current one ), put yourself in your manager's shoes and think of what he is hearing and from his place, whether it makes sense to give you more importance, or the more experience senior resource.

Good luck.

vandu3689, Sapna56 and goldenhoney87 like this.