New born baby in cot

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by lillytulips, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lillytulips

lillytulips New IL'ite

Hi,

My mom suggests using thottil for my baby due in April ( swing type made from cloth - pardon my translation ). It seems thottil keeps the baby cozy but worried if that is ok for a new born baby as the cloth pressess tighly around baby's body which is very tender for the first few months.

Does anyone have information on which is better for new born baby's body?

Thanks in advance.

2. vishuni

vishuni Silver IL'ite

Hi Lillytulips,

Congratulations on your pregnency.

I used to make my baby to sleep on cot .Thotti is not manidatory ,all you need to make sure is keep baby warm while sleeping.

After 3 months baby's will try to move sides that time u make sure they dont fall from cot by keeping enough pillows or bessheets around them.

3. subakutty

subakutty Platinum IL'ite

Hi Lillytulips

Congrats on your pregnancy.

You can hang thottil using some soft cotton veshti (i think you know), thottil is best for around 6 months because my mom and grandma will say baby's head will get into a shape (round). It won't hurt your baby. if not possible you can put in the cot as vishuni said you want to look after your baby after 3 months, as they will try to move.

4. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

hi lilly

New borns cannot balance body temps like us adults .so we need keep them bundled up and covered in softcloth thats why your mom says thottil .It keeps the baby cozy and puth him/her to sleep but the problem with that is that baby will get used to it and in future they won't sleep if there is no thottil.You can put him to sleep with your in bed infact you keep him close to your skin is very good to calm the baby .but make sure he is bundled.esp as its winter time .I use to have hot air fan near by and also keep him covered in socks and mittens

5. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

I guess different cultures follow different ways of keeping the baby. In India its mostly a thottil. In western countries, and even in Singapore (mostly chinese & malay folks) prefer using a bassinet, cot or cot-bed.

If you are using a cot, go for one without the drop side rails (decreases risk of SIDS). Also make sure the cot has nothing else on it apart from a properly fitting mattress, a fitted sheet for the mattress & a cellular cotton blanket to cover the baby if needed. No other soft toys, quilts, duvets, pillows or bumpers till baby can hold his/her own head unaided.

Hope this helps.

6. lillytulips

lillytulips New IL'ite

Thank you everyone for your replies. Thottil tightly wraps around baby's body so wondering if that is ok for new born baby with delicate body. In one website I read that it is not recommended because there is no enough support for the back and the shoulders are always hunched. Also there were concerns about baby accidentally falling or hitting on a wall.

Does anyone know if these should be real concerns?

7. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

All of us grew up sleeping in thottil. This practice has been there for a long time here. I don`t find anything harmful in this. As an IL`ite pointed out the kids who grew up in thottil don`t feel comfortable in its absence. Imagine travelling overnight with the baby without thottil. I have seen mommies hanging a make shift thottil between two berths in trains in order to make them sleep. In these lines it is better not to get the baby used to thottil. You can try alternate methods like stretching your legs, putting a pillow near the toes and make the baby sleep by rocking your legs. My SIL used to do this and make her daughter lie on the cot or mat after she slept. It worked for her.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hey lillytulips, when you deliver they teach you something called a "burrito wrap" - how to bundle up a baby with a simple cotton towel like cloth. Newborns love to sleep like that and as they grow and move their limbs they want to kick free and in fact learn to get out of the wrap :) - so you will learn by experience and learn to do what works best for you and your baby.

That said, the kind of thottil you are speaking of is a bassinet here and you have many kinds - stationary ones, ones that rock etc. Googling will give many options. The only thing is babies out grow these by 3months. So many people prefer cribs, in fact the cribs that can become a twin bed as the child grows and this can also be placed right next to your bed till you are ready to move the baby in to his/her room.

It is always best to keep the baby in a safe place no doubt about it - this becomes a concern once the baby learns to move and rollover and things like that. But let me assure you that your mommy instincts will kick in and you will certainly do your best.

Best wishes!

9. lillytulips

lillytulips New IL'ite

Thanks for your replies. We will look for a few bassinets this weekend and decide on one. Thanks again for your tips.

10. karthikas

karthikas Gold IL'ite

you get ready made thotils in babyshops which is very airy, and the space is more in the form of square....pls use it till 6 months. after that u can use normal thotil of cloth