Never Mind.....

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Amulet, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@Ouroboros
    In school, during the final exams, we'd see class mates with dazed look on their faces, as we wait for the proctor to tell us that we may all turn our question papers over and start the exam. These girls would look like they do not want anyone to touch them, lest their heads would pop, and all the stuffed things would burst out. Some of these specimens would always be "toppers".

As soon as the question paper is turned over, their pens will hit the answer sheet, and off they'd go. I'd be mesmerized by that start. And wonder what makes them go like that. Some magical mnemonic in the first question that opens the flood gates ? I would look at the question paper and go Um, and then give the whole question paper a reading, (um, aha, oh, drat, :confundio1::facepalm: etc.) before I settle on a strategy to use the time for the questions that I know the answers to.

¡Tweak my Tin Buttons! When Richard Feynman was in the commission to investigate the Challenger space-ship explosion, he brought up the Tin Button Story of that Russian campaign in the context of trying to explain the Glass Transition Temperature of materials. As things are cooled, there is a temperature below which they become brittle and break easily. Each material has its glass transition temperature. This cooling-to-brittleness happened to the sealing O-Rings on the spaceship, which got brittle, broke, and there was no longer a seal, and the liquid oxygen went to the rocket-fuel and caused the disaster.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The television show GGM (goodness gracious me) in the UK teaches the diaspora to laugh at ourselves:

kaniths likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Brands and their Value:
    North Face is a brand that is well known in the Outdoor sports market. A latter day competitor came along and claimed the rights to South Butt. And were quite successful in selling mechandise that was eating up the marketshare of Northface. And almost 10 years later, the history is a study in business school discussions. When to sue, how much to spend on that effort, and when it is a frivolous fight. Northface spent a lot to make Southbutt much more of a brand than it was before the law suit.

4. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

I shall reserve this clip as a last resort to the lost cause, those who believe that pyramids and ziggurats were also Indian ideas stolen from us. Da vinci is Indian is comic whack at its best. Loved it.

5. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

While we are at Goodness Gracious Me, remember that Sophia Loren and Peter Sellers song from the movie The Millionairess, adapted into movie from the stage play written by GB Shaw, from which the title of the comedy show was lifted. Well, eerily, I happened to watch the BBC adaptation of the play just last week. And you brought it up now.

Maggie Smith as Epifania is outstanding!

upload_2018-10-6_13-16-2.png

The headstrong and very upturned character of Epifania is a delight when she drawls the most famous dialogue of the play to convince the unyielding Doctor she is besotted with to marry her:

EPIFANIA. You must learn to take chances in this world. This disappointed philanderer tries to frighten you with my unfaithfulness. He has never been married: I have. And I tell you that in the very happiest marriages not a day passes without a thousand moments of unfaithfulness. You begin by thinking you have only one husband: you find you have a dozen. There is a creature you hate and despise and are tied to for life; and before breakfast is over the fool says something nice and becomes a man whom you admire and love; and between these extremes there are a thousand degrees with a different man and woman at each of them. A wife is all women to one man: she is everything that is devilish: the thorn in his flesh, the jealous termagant, the detective dogging all his movements, the nagger, the scolder, the worrier. He has only to tell her an affectionate lie and she is his comfort, his helper, at best his greatest treasure, at worst his troublesome but beloved child. All wives are all these women in one, all husbands all these men in one. What do the unmarried know of this infinitely dangerous heart tearing everchanging life of adventure that we call marriage? Face it as you would face a dangerous operation: have you not performed hundreds of them?

You might already know that the play's end was extended for the Communist liking to that of Capitalist countries. The original play ends with the Doctor conceding to Epifania's above dialogue, but in communist countries you have a touch of proletariat uprising through love.

And that is how the story ends in capitalist countries. In Russia, however, and in countries with Communist sympathies, the people demand that the tale shall have an edifying moral. Accordingly, when the doctor, feeling Epifania's pulse, says that he loves it and cannot give it up, Blenderbland continues the conversation as follows.

More here.

6. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Is it? At my family gathering, I could get away with any radical intrusion in the family affairs as my mom usually shrugs me off : she could be forgiven for her wild ideas as she stays abroad and has NO inkling of 'Indian Ethos'. I abuse my immigrant status to the hilt by toeing to her clemency. Mom, as you reckon, I have no idea about 'Indian Culture' so cut me some slack. From a resident to a visitor has been a liberating experience for me. I could blabber anything less gentrifying to the Indian ears and be overlooked. Woh firangi types ki hai, she won't grasp the great Indian problems and time-honored practices, leave her alone. I am relieved with that small mercy.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

India's Justice system abets suicides ?:

CJI Dipak Misra had ruled for the five judge Indian Supreme court panel, that adultery can be a ground for divorce, but not a criminal offense. [Section 497 IPC and section 198 of IPC dealing with prosecution of offences against marriage as unconstitutional]

However here is a wrinkle that would seem like the Supreme Court had shot the whole justice system on their feet: CJI Misra and justice Khanwilkar said that "mere adultery cannot be a crime, but if any aggrieved spouse commits suicide because of life partner’s adulterous relation, then if evidence is produced, it could be treated as an abetment to suicide.

This clause would find the family courts of India as an abettor of suicides. Has anyone in the supreme court googled how many commit suicides because of the slow grant of divorces in broken marriages ? and the slow grant of judgement in cases that are critical to the ongoing peace and comfort of litigants in all manners of other civil suits in the indian courts ?

Supreme Court strikes down adultery as an offence: Highlights - Times of India ►

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The lyrics
    I remember that with one jab
    Of my needle in the Punjab
    How I cleared up beriberi​
    made me remember the time I read someone mention madhya_pradesh as the region of the bare midriff between the hem of blouse and the saree tuck-in. Himachal gets a mention in the adaptation of the quote from Everesteer Sir Edmund Hilary.
    "Q: why do you stare?
    A: because it is there?"
    Here is a link to the full movie The Millionairess

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  9. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

"Help me! help!" rushed a harried-looking man into the police station at Chambalghat.

"What is the matter?" inquired the police inspector.

"My wife", he panted, "she is after me with a frying pan to whack me," he halted, "out of my senses as she reckons."

The police inspector gestured to the the scared man to take the seat.

"I ...er, that Lajjorani two blocks away from my apartment. I didn't intend to but I could not resist when I saw her combing her inviting hair while returning from work. Can you lock me up in the police cell as a safe house?" the man pleaded.

"Yeh yeh, I get it. But sorry man. The revised IPC just arrived just this morning. We can no longer lock up strayed men."

"Really," the hapless man groaned, "you cannot offer me protection now, what am I to do, where shall I spend the night doomed."

"Well, if your wife commits suicide then I can lock you up for having abetted grievous decision upon her," the inspector caressed his chin.

"Who? My wife? I doubt she would be distracted by even a deep-bored well to plunge into it in her rage to whack me with a frying pan she bought in a sale just last week. You know, that pan has not even been used. Would it hurt more with a minted pan? May be I could subdue her to swap with our old pan? How about a tin chombu. What do you say? Never mind."

"Man, rules are rules, cannot lock you up anymore for adultery," the police inspector shrugged.

"Can my wife be locked up for threatening to harm me for my adultery under the IPC as I have failed in abetting suicide thought in her so that she could spend the night in the police cell whilst I return home. Surely, someone would have been sensible in retaining contingency loopholes in IPC. Could she be?"

The police inspector plonked a heavy set of the revised IPC on the table. "I don't have the time and inclination to mediate petty squabbles between you, your wife and that Rapunzel-styled Lajjorani. Read it and decide among you all who wants to be locked for what offence."

upload_2018-10-7_9-3-3.png

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

hahaha... @Ouroboros.....the SC included that aggrieved spouse suicide as a special case of legal jeopardy to the straying spouse. However, aggrieved spouses do not always do away with themselves. They can go from aggrieved to aggressive and take a pound of flesh. Or a few ounces, like Lorena Bobbit, the American woman who did a sharia-law-punishment on her offending husband.

This aggrieved spouse dispensation is an avenue for honor killings. So stupid.