Never Mind.....

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Amulet, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

I don’t know if you had read Dodie Smith removed from 101 Dalmatians. Her wit is subtle in defining a well turned-out woman in the society evidenced in a dialogue between the Mortmain couple about their American neighbour Mrs Cotton.

No, of course not. But she happens to belong to a type I frequently met – it goes to lectures. And entertains afterwards – sometimes they put one up for the night; they’re extraordinarily hospitable.’ He sat on the kitchen table, swinging his legs, looking rather boyish. ‘Amazing, their energy,’ he went on. ‘They’re perfectly capable of having three or four children, running a house, keeping abreast of art, literature and music – superficially of course but, good lord, that’s something – and holding down a job into the bargain. Some of them get through two or three husbands as well, just to avoid stagnation.’

‘I shouldn’t think any husband could stay the course for more than a few years,’ said Topaz.

‘I felt that myself at first – the barrage of talk left me utterly depleted. But after a time I got used to it. They’re rather like punch-balls – you buffet them, they buffet you, and on the whole the result’s most stimulating.’

‘Unless they knock you out altogether,’ said Topaz, drily.

‘They have that effect occasionally,’ Father admitted. ‘Quite a number of American men are remarkably silent.’

‘She seemed to know a lot about Jacob Wrestling,’ I said.

‘She’d probably read it up before she came – they do that, and very civil of them. Curious how many of them are prematurely grey; most becoming. And I must say it’s a pleasure to see a woman so well turned-out.’

2. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

I am cautioned by John Cheever’s enormous radio! More than revelation, they are provocation of perplexities and absurdities in veiled anthropological pit. Re: stepping in, I practise Schopenhauer and never cut along but if I am considerably aroused to meddle in human affairs with a stinging reply in that amateur anthropological dust-up, I remind myself of this fetched-up Malcolm Muggeridge’s saying:

“I wrote in a mood of anger, which I find rather absurd now: not so much because the anger was, in itself, unjustified, as because getting angry about human affairs is as ridiculous as losing one's temper when an air flight is delayed.” — Chronicles of Wasted Time.

If I am confused in observation, I ignore. If I am amused in observation, I write back. If I am annoyed in observation, I hold back thereafter from any anthropological engagement with concerned party even with beguiling flashes of cultural ascendency through the interactions.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  3. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Your Penrod? Milady, you might not have realized but I mercilessly snatched your Penrod from you. Both Schopenhauer and Penrod are mine now with gratuitous citations in my whatsapp dialogues. Friend even asked, heard of pendrive but what is penrod. Go and find someone else (evil laughter)!

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Dodie Smith's Mrs. Cotton is the type that I know quite a number of. In the spirit of a thread title that would read "what you had done (way back) then, that you now think of as a good deal/ smart move / lucky break", one such Cotton'esque friend had said that it is always good to have a couple of children with a husband who can afford the chunkiest child-support payments, and then go on to marry someone one could love and enjoy life with. Her once-married friends appreciate the good luck of how "she" gets child-free days when her kids go off to comply with joint custody time with their dad. On those days she could go play golf with her husband, go off to resorts, or simply be at home as well.

I had not read Dodie Smith. I will add it to my long waiting list. I don't really know how Mrs.C does it, but just half of what she does would tire me out.

5. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

I am irritably confused when slogans like “money cannot buy happiness” are flared up in populist demonstrations. Not even the most half-witted moron would dreamily haul coins to buy “happiness” at Old Nick’s tent in a caravan. You don’t buy happiness but build happiness from money. Money enables you to pursue a path with its purchasing power that can lead to happiness. It’s so uncomplicated, I don’t know why people confuse that insight by citing the depraved tabloid celebrities.

Disraeli and Bodley hatched great plans to reform society by marrying into wealthy families through which their pecuniary concerns were been taken care of and they could focus on loftier aspirations in life.

I am glad you were not idealized into wrong-headed notions in life.

If I had wealth, then I would have been a blithe flâneur insured from grades and employment and tax and pension. I too would have jauntily pursued utterly useless courses for the heck of being able to afford it in lieu of fetching courses.

6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In America when big politicos or celebrities (men) have affairs, and the information gets out into the public domain, there'd be a lot of hullaballoo in the press, followed by the low-life being on a TV talk show with his wronged woman. She will stand up with him, while he goes on about how he'd wronged her, his kids with her, and the whole nation/fan-base etc.. and the idea that the other woman didn't mean anything at all would be either explicitly stated, or would be implicit in the on-screen act. Whatever happened between him and the other woman was simply a momentary lapse (and if it had gone on for a year or more before the discovery and the conniption, it was still a momentary lapse, repeated a few more times), and now the contrite one wants a second chance with his wife and the nation/fan-base. etc.. etc.. "The importance of the Physical event <<< Mental participation in the event" would be the formula. In America, most presidents, and a lot of state governors seem to get to such an apology TV event.

What if there was only mental participation and no physical contact event(s) ?

I needed to know if Emotional Affair has any distinct characteristics other than the no-nookie proviso. And I googled to find out. ToI has categorized "affairs"..LOL.. And their description of an Emotional Affair seems like a slightly enhanced form of an office-spouse....

5 kinds of extra-marital affairs and why they happen - Times of India

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Ace !? There is always some word, phrase that tease out whatever clip that comes up from the archives. Here is Miss Graf about to serve an Ace to her Japanese opponent.

8. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Steffi Graf answers marriage proposal at Wimbledon
    No backhanded inquiry! I like her forthright inquiry of ‘marrying into money’ even if he happens to be an unseeable yet besotted fan.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  9. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Feigning bafflement over the romantic entanglements of the time, Heilpern writes:

Let's see: Osborne is on a besieged holiday with his aggrieved mistress while having a passionate affair with his future third wife as the founding artistic director of the Royal Court has a nervous breakdown and his current wife gives birth to a son that isn't his.
    That’s John Osborne, the English playwright who coined the phrase ‘angry young man’ in a nutshell. Have his acclaimed “look back in anger” film wishlisted on Prime to watch since ages. Postmodern romances are resistant to yield to conservative scruples. They blithely flourish amidst the chaos and confusion.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In a time when girls used both their hands for backhanded shots, she had used single hand for such shots. Single handed pursuit of money?
    [​IMG]

She married Andre Agassi, who made more in (lifetime total) prize money than she did.