Never Mind.....

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Amulet, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Women's Era is a better magazine [a different category of economic class, I think] for the variations of agonies that people present. I am very interested in such columns, to the extent that I sometimes step into it in some IL threads :facepalm:. Don't such discussions reveal the culture ? Individual stories, patterns, and then amateur anthropology. I ought to go and read some of the books on your discovery thread...and forget anthropology. :relaxed:

2. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Wait ..before I forget, for playful learning of culture and anthropology and rise of civilization, you must watch or take a note of Once upon a time: Man

Once Upon a Time... Man (French: Il était une fois... l'homme) is a French animated TV series from 1978 directed by Albert Barillé. It is the first in the Once Upon a Time... franchise. The series explains world history in a format designed for children. The action focuses around one group. The same familiar characters appear in all episodes as they deal with the problems of their time. This animated was purchased by most public broadcasting channels in Europe (and in many other countries) and is well known by a significant percentage of the population. The program is known for explaining events to children from different viewpoints as main characters come from many civilizations. Despite its age, the number of factual errors is very low and most countries re-run the anime every few years.

Available on Amazon Prime. The series is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I loved it so much. It is not a series cobbled from dumbed-down arc of history, as it is for kids. Though it is for kids, the composition and wit and finery in trivia is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Kids and adults alike would enjoy the series. I love it so much! So much! Also search for line-up from the Indigenius Network distributors on Prime. Wide collection of knowledge series ranging from history to biology translated, sourced, and redistributed on Prime. While you are awe-struck at Once Upon A Time, swipe to their I'm a ... series ranging from monsters to crawlies. The shotgun and conversational animation is creative! One of the best.

(I am not kidding, do check out. The conception of factual 2-minute animation is brilliant.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

A while back I informed a few in our family taking Blood Sugar Control pills about a grim side effect of some brands of such (once a day) pills. Recently on the IL forum there was this exchange about fenugreek water.
    No details on the daily dosage. Anyhow... I went to google to see if there were any clinical studies.
    There were a few, but no longitudinal (long term follow up) studies. Even in scientific studies, the manner in which the fenugreek was prepared was quite sketchy. For example, one study says<link>:

"Patients were randomized to receive fenugreek seed soaked in hot water 10 gm/day, along with their routine antidiabetic medication 30 min before meal, while patients in another group continued to receive only antidiabetic medication."
    No information on the source and type of fenugreek seeds, and how long soaked in how hot a water, as well as whether or not they drank the soak-water when they ate up the soaked seeds, were skipped in the scientific publication. Bad peer-reviewing !!

After six months of 30 diabetics each in two groups, taking their usual blood sugar control medication, and one group of 30 patients taking the above 10g/day hot water soaked fenugreek seeds, and a control group of 30 patients not taking any fenugreek seeds, they had provided a table of data, on fasting blood glucose and HbA1C (glycosylated Hemoglobin, a marker for the average sugar level over a period of a month):

upload_2018-10-17_19-44-5.png

Note: Group A was taking the Fenugreek, Group B was the control.

Up until 5 months of study, the HbA1C values for both groups were comparable. At the end of six months, the Fenugreek group shows a statistically significant improvement, in both fasting blood sugar level, and the (lower is better) HbA1C values.

10 grams of seeds would be a heaped teaspoon full. Typically used amount of fenugreek in making kuzhambu-or-sambar for a family of 4. In such use the Fenugreek goes into hot oil of the Tadka; would slight frying of the fenugreek make the "active ingredient for sugar control" more or less bioavailable ?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@SunPa @sweetsmiley I noticed your posts on BM, and family suffering due to its alleged effects.
    The Following is an exhibit at The Smithsonian, Museum of Modern Art. It covers the whole basement, and even the side walls on the stairs.
    Enjoy....

[​IMG]

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@Ouroboros
    I saw your post on political opinions on social media, and immediately went to find out if there are many wifi hotspots in Timbuktu, Mali. Sadly, no good retirement homes over there; and besides, violent hordes in the suburbs.
    Your Schopenhauer and my Penrod both advise against the harangue in social media.... on all matters including politics.

6. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Babe Am Let,

Sorry, could not catch up with the recent posts. Helter-skelter hectic! Will muse over the weekend.
    Here's one of my favourite songs. Listen with headphones whilst eating triple chocolate trifle.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

say what?
    Never Mind means never having to say you're sorry.
    Hahahaha .... I bet that'd make you reach for that puking bucket.
    Carry on.. remember to eat well, take your vitamins, do good work*... and so on.

*adapted from Garrison Keillor.

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

HERETIC !
    Save oil ?! Even in times of kerosene shortage, DIL's had suffered immolation because Tadka was absent.

Playing Double-or-Nothing to recover the sunk cost is what makes the world go round.

9. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Lettie,

I am brooding these days on kiddy literature like Leatherstocking tales, Les Mis, Beatrix Potter’s Tiggy-Winkle, Dodie Smith’s underrated ‘I capture the castle’, Verne’s Strogoff, and, of course, the usual Terry Pratchett. I wish I could relive my childhood again reading the right books this time singing back in the ‘fine four-fendered friend’. Dick Van Dyke is 92!

10. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

In the adolescent fiction catching up with Raymond Carver’s ‘Short Cuts’ and Angela Carter’s ‘The Bloody Chamber’. Wonder when I will start reading grown-up fiction with the backlogged wish list. Sibling would prod, earn quick money, or date a rich vampire, either way get on a gravy train to read your comics and books the rest of your life. I should listen to her sometimes!