1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Never Ending Yeast Infection???? Plz help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by dsrini, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

:help

Aarti is nearly four months. She had yeast infection(white patches on her cheeks, tongue & on my nipple)(nipple thrush) last month & was given medicine for 2 weeks & I was given an ointment to apply on my nipple. After 2 wks it was better, but only for couple of days then again she got white patches on her cheeks & tongue then again Ped asked me to give the same medicine & asked me apply the same ointment. Last friday 2 week period was over & now again I have severe pain on my nipple & white patches on my nipple.

Whatz going on & why its coming again & again. Is it something serious?
    Its very very painful to feed her. :cry:. I am trying hard not to give up feeding but its unbearable.

Please help...........

Thanks in advance
    Dhivya

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Dhivya,

I know how difficult that must be for you - My baby and I too had yeast infection when he was 2 weeks old. Thankfully did not come back again. In addition to the ointment (which was a prescription one) I also took prescription tablets (Diflucan) since the ointment did not seem to help. The thing with thrush is that both mom and baby have to be treated simultaneously and both have to be fully cured - else you both can keep passing on the infection. Try asking your ob-gyn to prescribe you the Diflucan.

However I have read that yeast inefctions can keep recurring. Make sure you drink/include a lot of yogurt in your diet, it can help restore the balance of bacteria. Try to also cut down dairy products and sweets/sugary stuff as yeast thrives on these. I have read that grapeseed extract really helps with recurring yeast infections. You can get these in healthfood stores. (I don't know the dosage since I did not take it - try googling)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Dhivya - like Sindhu said an oral anti-fungal would really help if local ointments arent working. So will probiotics (as in curd but also available OTC in the US). Hope it clears up fast.

V.

4. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Sindhu & Vanathi.

I took her to the Ped & she said her infection is not very severe so asked me to continue on Nystatin Oral suspension. Mine is little severe & asked to get an antibiotic from my Gyn. My Ob/Gyn prescribed one Diflucan(as u guys said) & asked me get back on friday. I hope it gets better before that. :bowdownPraying for that.

Thanks one more time.

Dhivya

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Pavarun is right about the grapeseed extract...it is very effective against yeast. It comes in pills and a liquid but I have heard that the liquid is bad tasting. You can take in addition to the allopathic meds. Also discontinue all sweets entirely and stay away from yeast breads until you are cleared up.

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Dhivya;
    How are both of you now?
    Thrush is not a serious thing at all. It can create complications very rarely if untreated. So don't worry about it.
    - Nitha

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Dhivya, that is great. Complete your Diflucan dosage even if you feel better sooner (I think I had it for 14 days). Hang in there, hugs to you. Hope you feel better soon.

Nitha, yeast infection may not cause any serious complications but it is horribly painful (my baby seemed fine but I had shooting stabbing & burning pains every time I nursed) And I seriously contemplated giving up BF-ing. Also it rarely goes away by itself; you have to treat using an anti fungal (tablets or topical).

8. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Thanks everyone. I still have the pain, so I am applying the ointment & giving Aarti that oral suspension(as per Doc's advice).

Sindhu, they gave only one Diflucan. But infection came back, I am avoiding sweets & taking lot of yogurt. I am also going to try grape seed extract.

Nitha, As Sindhu said it is very painful for the mom. Whenever I bring her near my B for feeding I feel crying, coz its such a horrible pain.Drowning

But I following both doc & IL friends advice.:bowdown

Thanks all one more time.

Dhivya

9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

So Dhivya;How are you and Aarti now?
    - Nitha

10. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Nitha

Sorry I just saw your response. We both are doing fine. As suggested by our friends I am taking grape seed extract & lot of yogurt. I rarely apply the ointment & completely stopped giving her meds.

Its far better now.

Thanks for checking.

Dhivya