1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Netiquette in forums

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 19, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Finest Blog - Fourth Weekly Pick of May 2012

We always meet very interesting people in the internet forums. It is very educational to interact with people from various background and different ages. Many times, elders get a good grip and understanding of generation gap in these forums while the younger generation understands the expectations of the elders. Subjects of various categories are discussed freely in such forum and many interact with each other without getting an opportunity to meet each other in person. Sometimes, bond between two forum members could reach heights that could be parallel to closest family members such as mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son, uncle, aunt, etc. In forums of these kinds it is very important to follow etiquette whether they are made in written form or not.

Most importantly, all blogs or posts should be written in a manner not offensive to anyone exceptions being any writings that are directed at addressing social, economical, environmental, governmental, financial, national or international issues. When we respond to such blogs or posts, even if someone disagrees with the views of the writer, it will be nice to write the respondent’s view point rather than writing a dissenting note. If anyone likes to appreciate a writer for the blog or post, he or she should do so by posting a feedback with specific details of what he or she likes rather than writing “nice one” or “I enjoyed reading it.” If a feedback is to be given regarding improvements, it should be sent through private message.

Mostly members in such forums don’t provide their complete profile and it will be difficult for anyone to understand the background or intellectual capabilities of the members. It is always important to treat each other with mutual respect even if they are younger. If someone is posing a problem in their life in a public domain, everyone needs to be sympathetic and try to help if he or she has a construction suggestion. We need to definitely address their question instead of preaching them what to do or what not to do. No one should underestimate the capabilities of another individual. They may not share all the circumstances leading up to their problem. We need to be kind in our responses. Under no circumstances, one should test the knowledge of another person as it is disrespectful, no matter how much that writer is considered as an expert in one or more subjects by other members of the forum.

Under no circumstances, one should use offensive languages nor should one respond in a derogatory manner even if the original post is controversial and a subject that is not comfortable for someone to read. The forum’s etiquette rules will govern which post deserves to be retained. We should never give personal information in a public domain as it could be dangerous. If we wish to exchange information, it is better if information is sent through private messages.

Lastly, we need to understand the purpose of interactions in these forums is to build friendship with many people across the world and these are not forums where the purpose is to demonstrate our capabilities or intelligence. When we write, we should write something that might be useful to others and not to sell our capabilities. Every interaction should be with a view to maintain cordial relationship with another member. It is always better to assume that we have more to learn from others than for us to give knowledge to others. By nature, a conflict with someone gives as much pain to us as to others if not more. Let us promote togetherness and thrive on becoming interdependent with a community of people. Let the purpose be to help each other and enjoy the company of fellow writers.

sindmani likes this.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Viswamitra sir,
    Do I need to say it is a timely blog at any given point of time? Yes, it is. The points you made are applicable & valuable at every point of time and in any virtual place.

Out of all What I liked most is

3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,

I read daily, Dinamalar.com to keep me in touch with the happenings in Tamil Nadu.

More than the news I enjoy the comments of the readers for each news items which is a free- for- all area.

If you want to see the effects of non observance of your "netiquettes" please visit and enjoy!.

Thanks for the "Netiquettes".

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Viswa sir
    My first comment on your blogs.:)
    I am impressed by your in-depth analysis of the topic on which you choose to blog.
    This blog of yours is very apt and I have learnt from the point you mentioned "quote your favourite lines"..so here's my favourite pick
    regards
    honeybee

5. Viswamitra

Dear Pallavi,

Thank you for your nice feedback. I am so happy to note that you found the points valuable.

Viswa

6. Viswamitra

Dear Suryakala,

Thank you for visiting this blog and your response. I will visit World No.1 Tamil Daily News Website | Tamil News Paper | Tamil Nadu Newspaper Online | Breaking News Headlines, Latest Tamil News, India News, World News,tamil news paper - Dinamalar to get a feel of it.

Viswa

7. Viswamitra

Dear Honeybee,

Thank you for your first comment on this blog. I am so humbled and honored when I read your comment about the depth of the topic in my blogs. I am short of words. Please do give your valuable comments whenever possible, as it would be a great source of encouragement to me.

Ha Ha. You quoted my netiquette to give a favorite line. I always carried an impression that the writer will be so encouraged when the readers are specific about what they liked in a blog. I value every comment from IL members.

Viswa

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think commenting is about connecting with the blog post and author. It cannot always happen. But one still feels that he/she has read a good post. So sometimes a good/nice post should also be ok. But if one keeps in doing that, then the person is commenting just for namesake.

9. Viswamitra

I understand what you mean and I respect the time of the respondents. I am certainly not suggesting every blog to be responded by everyone. If there are 100 viewers and only 3-4 of them are regularly responding while 2-3 of them give "Like", the blogger has no way of knowing what others feel about his/her blog. Once in a while, they can comment that a particular subject attracted him/her to read or in general he/she had been reading all the blogs but felt like commenting on this particular blog and so on.

Viswa

10. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

sir, this is just a post by u in text format!

we have someone named 'vishwa' here, demonstrating these all to us for months now

- stranger :)