1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Neighborly Communications

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, May 16, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Agatha83 ,

You know you spin magic with your words. Very interesting to read your experiences and observations. I have a neighbor but more of a friend now who always says that her only goal in life is teach me how to say no! Growing up in different houses (exactly opposite to your experience) because of dad's job though I did not have bad experiences, it was always mom's job to have these friendly relationships and we had a fairly decent ones. While that strengthened my nature and taught me the skill of making friends no matter where or what, it also kind of gave me a wish that if I only I could stay put in a place which happened after marriage and that skill to make friends came in handy so much so that my aunts and uncles who visit us casually joke with a "oh there is no need for anyone to take census report here. Our S pretty much knows everyone in her neighborhood" which I surely take as a compliment.

I do agree with you - that setting of boundaries, expectations is something we all need to learn both as givers and receivers and for some reason that is the message universe wants me to assimilate today! Often when I feel frustrated trying to help someone beyond my means and show that frustration I seem to be slammed with a sense of guilt by the other person who seemingly appears innocent even though it is clear they are using you. So I cling on to that dear friend who is teaching me to learn to say no when it is overwhelming and shut that another person from my friend who constantly says "If we can help, why not?" because setting that boundary is healthy for us and our relationships. Thank you for bringing that out so well. I sure needed that.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rama,

you seem to be a perfect mind reader and whatever thoughts that flashed across, my mind, after finishing writing this snippet, you have put it here very lucidly.
    the basic flaw in my character, was that I could never say no to anybody's request and it was my DD who pointed this flaw when I crossed my 60th year. Too late, but still it has saved me from many embarrassing situations.
    I was always too happy to help out any stranger, leave alone my neighbor, but the present scenario is such that this tendency leads to many unnecessary problems. when I personally experienced even my best friends, humiliating me, I said a firm good bye to all those false friendships and now I am perfectly at peace.
    Though I am nearing my seventies, still I offer my seat happily to a pregnant woman or a senior citizen while I am in a bus or help others in buying a ticket. First let us be good human beings with empathy and compassion, the rest will follow. Thank you for a very valuable feedback.

Agatha83