1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Neighborly Communications

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, May 16, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:This is yet another brilliant nostalgic post from you.
    2. Many among senior IL'ITES COULD easily relate to your narration, especially who had spent their early agile part of their life in a set up with multiple tenants in olden metros and Agraharams in olden Triplicane Mylapore Mambalam and other such places in chennai & interior parts of Tamil Nadu, undivided Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka.
    3. Yes. It was routine - Borrowing provisions, coffee powder, grains, edible oils, brooms, vessels, from somewhat better off tenants in adjacent parts of the same ramshackled building and such borrowals either denied flatly or the return of it demanded frowned upon frequently by close sub tenants or co- tenants.
    Besides nostalgic, in your Post, these common features of such livings among residents of 1950s & 60s been clearly brought out with humours expressions make the post an interesting entertaining read.
    4 Safe house keeping & baby sitting too were part of the routine of cotenants .
    A neighbour used to leave her three year old daughter in my custody when I was school student. Being fan of Shivaji Ganesan, she would go with another neighbour lady for matinee show in hot sun , leaving her daughter with food and munchings and she would keep extra advising me too to have it.
    5. For listening to radio drama, many would go and sit with a co tenant throwing their dinner time haywire. I gathered in piecemeal Telugu Marathi working knowledge during peace and ruckus times.
    Rare edible Oil fumes would indicate, to other tenants what special item being prepared by the lady of the cotenant .
    6. Many times one would notice children invade other tenants at right time to have little munchings under preparation. Chit fund schemes were very popular among such tenants and duping the members too were common.
    7. As a boy with younger sister and mother, I stayed as sub tenant and cotenant for about eight years in different parts of Triplicane and enjoyed the stay. It helped to have huge friends gang, playing indoor games in summer like carrom, paramapadham, Dhaka kattam, Pallam kuzhi etc.
    8. Despite constant threat to privacy, life in general was good and peaceful.
    Regards.
    God bless.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Gauri03 and Agatha83 like this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha such a good read. Looks like we both sail on the same boat when helping others. Once had watched twins when they were in preschool for 4-5 days ; their mom had delivered another child. When we visited to see the newborn they conveniently forgot to take us to the nursery while they were busy showing the newborn to their other friends. Indian colleague borrows instant Indian coffee at work which I didn’t mind or some cash even in these times. But when asked to share something official they refused. Leave the borrowed items or help offered but they don’t remember to even return the containers:) :) And none of them are my neighbors.

Gauri03, Agatha83 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

What an expansive FB you have presented here, which is more informative than my write up. I know how some women borrowed gold jewels, just to show off for the marriage functions and how they cheated replacing the original ones, with the fake ones. Many close relationships have come to an end, due to the breach in implicit trust, the lender places on them.
    There was this neighbor in our complex who cut down nine mature coconut trees, just because they were home to bats. In Mylapore , Triplicane areas, most of the houses have common walls, absolutely no space between the houses, and windows only in the front. CMDA just turns a blind eye to all the blatant violations going on due to corruption at each level.
    Inspite of the invasion of washing machines in the market, they are still some people. Who do hand washing and hang the clothes dripping water, particularly those on the top floor, which in turns dampens the already dried clothes, hanging on the clothes line, on the floor below.
    In an apartment there are many such instances which are constant source of annoyance, but we have no other way except to accept or exit.

Agatha83

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan,

Having non vegetarians in a complex, we can never escape the foul smell of frying fish. Whenever I made uppuma, my neighbor would be frying fish, leaving me many times in utter confusion whether it was my uppuma which was smelling.
    When we were the first ones to own a B/W TV during the Doordarshan days, the Friday and Sunday would be unusually crowded with neighbors, to watch the Oliyum oliyum and old movies, which in turn made our new sofa useless.
    Even visiting a close relative nowadays needs prior permission through phone, because most of them have their Netflix time, Amazon prime time and serial time.
    When there are scores of games that could be downloaded and played at your own convenience, who needs friends to play with all those outdated games like Pallankuzhi and its likes. That’s why the present generation is less sociable and do not like even their parents invading their privacy!

Agatha83

radv and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely right. Hobnobbing almost gone.
    Uppuma and fish clash a solid good example of obnoxious aroma.
    For the sake of good neighbourly relations one has to keep TV in b & w days keep it on.
    Superb skill in weaving and reproducing the olden golden or otherwise moments with choice of apt words in your post deserves also rounds of applause.
    Thanks & regards.
    God bless.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    jskls likes this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear jskls,

Whenever I have new neighbors I will be the first person to introduce myself and offer any help they may need. Nowadays instead of appreciating my good nature, they give me a queer look, making me feel like I am a runaway from the mental asylum.
    When I offered carrot halwa to my neighbor, instead of relishing it, she turned critical and said that her DIL made the best ones replete with all the costly nuts like almonds, pistachio etc, one which I couldn’t afford.
    Having tasted bitterness in my goodness, I keep to myself nowadays. Thank your valuable FB.

Agatha83

radv, Thyagarajan and jskls like this.
  7. Dhamini

Dhamini Platinum IL'ite

It’s very true not only with neighbors but even with many friends. I know many such incidents and all I have learnt is just to limit my own interaction and also don’t expect anything in return. Even close friends at some point have been so self centred and it becomes like we had never ever known them at all. Either we have been too ignorant or they had been too good in maintaining a deceptive behaviour. Nice recollection of your experiences.

8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dhamini,

When I started writing this thread I thought I was the only one in the entire world who suffered injustice at the hands of my neighbors, but writing here, made me realize that many of us have had similar experiences. Only when we interact with people closely, we do realize their true colors and having learnt a lesson we turn wise in our future dealings. Thank you Dhamini for your perfect feedback.

Agatha83

Dhamini likes this.
  9. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Makes me think so many of my neighbors who had come across in the past. Whatever you have written had been true in varying degrees and patterns. Enjoyed your thread.

10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agathinai,

As your name appears similar to mine I skipped your comment, thinking it to be one of my replies to the FBs. Only after logging in and from my alerts, I realized my mistake. welcome to IL and this snippet section. Glad you enjoyed the post. Thank you Agathinai. Nice name.

Agatha83

Agathinai likes this.