1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Neighborhood Potluck

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Prache, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Prache

Prache New IL'ite

We recently bought a house in new community. Its been 4 months, after we moved here 2-3 Indian families also moved here. Looks like there are total not more than 10 Indian families and few families are settled as they moved 1-2 years back.

Now these established families created social groups - some only with Indians. The people who is here from long time (1-2 yrs) started all these things recently.

Now they want to do pot luck and each family has to host every month.And one family (who initiated the potluck idea) decided to host after no one was responding to host the potluck (It was awkward).They decided a date,without much thought we said we will involve. But at that time we didn't discuss anything like who all are coming, food etc..

Now that family asked to RSVP and discuss about food based on attendees. We haven't responded yet, but only 2-3 families are coming so far(all with kids and here from more than 1 year).

We have no problem to go and meet (everyone will be strangers- but few known faces), but I have some petty problems. As we recently moved from 1 bd apartment to this 4 bd big house, we didn't setup the house at all. Dont have basic things - no window treatment, didn't buy master suite yet -still managing with old bedroom set, small sofa, not much utensils as I was living alone before. Me and my husband are so picky to buy things so we are taking our own time to buy things one by one.
    And also holidays coming up (with deals), we want to buy essential stuff (big sofa,nice kitchen stuff,rooms setup etc).But believe me we continuously buying some stuff whenever we like them.

Now my problem is, How can I host a pot luck with no proper sitting arrangements and essential utensils. We didn't invite anyone to our house yet except my sister. The plan is, our parents are planning to come here in dec or next year march, so we want to give party to all our friends,colleagues and this neighbors too. by the time house will be somewhat welcoming..

We both are kind of introvert, can't say to these people we can come but we can't host for few months.As only 2-3 families coming, my turn will come fast and probably next as no one was ready to host this time. So we want to ignore this pot luck until we invite everyone to party and then continue in this group setting if they allow. Not sure if this is right thing, so please tell me what I have to do.

2. Grace09

Grace09 Senior IL'ite

I think you are overthinking this. You may get some cheap basic folding chairs, have some seating arrangement on the floor as most indians are comfortable with sitting on floor. Also have disposable aluminium foil trays for potluck and dispidable plates & cups. No one expects that a family moved recently will have home set up. You can let guest know that you are still in the process of settling down in new house but no need to be or feel applogetic about it or ignore building your social circle.

Mehana, Prache, Amica and 4 others like this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I have hosted a dinner in my studio home back in bay area. Mat was used for sitting as no chairs. I used paper plates and paper cups. I took people to the garden too for sitting into the bench there.

Prache, Amica, Sangeeta85 and 2 others like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

You shd go for this potluck & make friends. It's always good to join in neighborhood events when you recently bought a home, that way you get to know everyone, there will be lot to share & also going forward it helps with discussing home issues, service recommendations for house & knowing neighborhood events. I agree with others that you can bring disposables & temp furniture; ppl don't expect you to be setup in week 1. And for all you know, these ppl may not be fully setup too (ppl get comfortable after moving in & getting basics & may get lazy to do the finer decor stuff ) .. just go!:blush:

Mehana, Dishaa, Archanaanchan and 3 others like this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your new house, @Prache!

The way you and your DH are furnishing your home is, at least IMO, perfect. Don't be in a hurry. Buy things you love even if it means waiting a bit.

You are fortunate to find a group of friends so soon. Don't pass up this opportunity for a social life in your neighborhood. Waiting for your home to be perfect and complete is not necessary. A home is always a work in progress. By the time every room is furnished and every window is styled, your life will be consumed by work, chores and kids. The "perfect" time never comes. Your new friends will understand and probably help you with good advice and ideas for your home.

Attend the potluck, take a dish, meet everyone. Offer to host the next potluck but warn them that you'll need their help.

What to do when it's your turn to host? Get a couple of Lifetime folding tables for the buffet. Guests/neighbors will probably offer to bring folding chairs. Or they can sit on the floor. Add disposable china and silverware and you're good to go. Weather permitting, you could even hold the party in your backyard.

We held a housewarming under similar circumstances as you. It's how most new homeowners do it.

Good luck, @Prache! :thumbsup:

Mehana, Dishaa, ashima10 and 6 others like this.
  6. Prache

Prache New IL'ite

Thank u thank u ladies..you guys totally changed my perspective:grin: ..now i'm so excited to meet my neighbors

Dishaa, iamsrihere, rachaputi and 2 others like this.