1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need to vent....

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by psych, Jan 4, 2012.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

You are excused!!! and lets not totally generalise or form of a group by saying EVERY DIL.

Yes there are some DILs who dont like to even send a penny even for medical expenses for their inlaws...but we are not talking about that situation.

OPs situation is totally different and if youd ont know the background of her issue or story, better read the past threads and start commenting....no point in fighting over indian vs abroad DILs.

2. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sri and PrtyWoman for standing up for me.

shyamala - i will give u an example. its 5:30 in the morning and I amup because my son is having a fever. So I will be taking care of him, and working as well. I cant take the day off because theres an important meeting I have to attend. Imagine how stressfull it is for me to manage a sick child and work. And I have to cook, clean as well. These are not optional as theres no one esle to do it. I could hire a baby sitter but that also costs money. If I were to live the way americans live, we would live a good life but we would not be able to send a penny to india even for monthly expenses. because we live abroad and spend minimally we are able to support family in India.

3. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Sri,Choc, JAG and SSC

I went ahead and bought the treadmill :) I didnt buy used one . I spent 287 bucks :) This is the first time I spent so much money on an personal item. Usually I would go and look for used one but I wanted to just spend money. it felt good :) I needed to send a message as well.

2 people like this.
  4. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

JAG - Also I will start up neels fund. But i amnot sure about starting a joint savings plan for us.Coz if he feels his parents need the money (again need is relative. for me it may be just desire and for him it may be urgent), he will use that money in joint acct. unless we agree to save and put in separate accts.

for my son he will put the money away but for us i dont think he will. I probably can convince for emergency fund - but thats about it

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Psych
    Hope ur son feels better . I am really happy about the treadmill.....yaaay!!!:cheers . Feels like I went shopping :) !!
    You work ur rear ends off ..you need to pamper yourself every once in a while. Don't feel guilty about it.
    Now about the fund ..Nice idea about starting off with Neels fund..
    and also equal pitching in of ur monthly expenses + emergency fund.(Dont go back on that one)
    slowly see how things go and then u can try with 401k plans where there is a penalty for early withdrawal (before retirement). HE will think twice before pulling out from the savings.
    All the best !!

6. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Dear Psych

I am also in same boat for last 14 years now. I have been working last 18 years in well paid responsible positions. Still I don't have any savings of my own. Here I am working day and night without rest, dropping infant kids to daycare, taking care of cooking, cleaning, laundry, kids activities, homework after everyday officework without any help. I never got proper sleep for many years because of sick kids. Still no apreciation from anybody. My inlaws think we live in u.s. and enjoy all luxuries going to shopping malls etc

My husband sends regular money to parents, siblings for all household exp, medical exp, travelling exp,car etc. My fil and bil spent their income and our saving for sil's luxuries, expensive gifts (gold coins are given to sil, her daughters, husband on every birthday, anniversary, diwali, holi, rakshabandhan etc) so you can imagine what is their expeneses

Plus whenever we goto India we take all expensive gifts (designer perfums, clothes, shoes) for them including my sil's extended joint family (my in laws are extremely proud that their dauther lives in joint family so they want to keep them happy by gifting all the time) We have to sponsor bil and sil's lavish vacations too

Here I am looking for coupens to buy necessary things and cribing for savings whenever wherever i can do

7. SriVidya75

as much as i want to say good job.....pls remember dont do things just because you want to show/prove something to your husband....do it because its needed/necessary/valuable/value add...something on those lines...(I know you would keep this in mind..but just reality check :)

and as JAG said....once in a while its nice to pamper yourself....and buy something nice for yourself..aaah now I feel like doing somethin for myself.....let me figure what i have to do :)

8. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

exactly same story here. I am going to implement the suggestions given. dont give salary to DH. split expenses. we have to do that or esle they will have no respect for us. they will not stop spending for their parents because we earn. save some from ur salary

9. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Sri I do need it. I had been having chest pains while doing jzeercise for 3 years. i have diabets and bp. a month back i noticed bp was quite high - 157 and subsequently during exercise i had chest pains. so i just walked on treadmill for 45 min and bp came back to 120 and i was able to do my jazzercise workout. I was having a very rough time with diabetes and bp. both of them together means theres limited food i can eat. So I decided to atleast keep bp in check by walking. atleast i can eat some food with little salt. If I dont walk my bp is at 130-150 and I cant workout. I need to work out coz i want to lose weight as well. thats why i needed the treadmill. DH knows why i need the treadmill. he doesnt question i should get it but is too stingy for my needs. He questions on my health needs but then doesnt even ask why a 13 year old needs a laptop. This is the whole essence for my anger at DH

10. SriVidya75

ok..ok...i get it :) i was just mentioning one point to keep in mind...thats all.. also just let go off this anger maa....you are already working on some of the suggestions n steps right? just let go of this anger about your husband...or his inability to say no....he will also get there...just you be at it..and he will pick it up eventually....do not spoil your health over this.

1 person likes this.