1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need To Potty Train My 2year Boy

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sumalynux, Sep 2, 2017.

1. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi

I need to potty train my boy..

Suggestions on potty seat for "Boy"

He does toilet in pants n says vya(similar to gandha or dirty) and ask to change pant. But won't tell before.

I take him to bathroom every 30mins, he plays in bathroom n come back. He knows bathroom kitchen room.. I keep saying susu, vya in bathroom wonder when he will learn..

Any tips to train boy potty appreciated

2. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Oops.. Buy a good potty seat.. Taking him to bathroom every 30 min is not going to work out.. He will go only when there is need to go for poo /pee.. Use diapers and keep saying him to convey or say to u when he needs potty time.. u keep observing him , and when u notice him to poo/pee taking him to bathroom .. Even if he has done his job outside the bathroom its fine.. slowly he will learn that bathroom is the right place to do his job..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    sindmani likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The first proof of concept is the hardest step - the first time the child goes in the potty. After that it gets easier.

Every 30 mins is too often. Take once every hour and have him sit on the potty for 10-12 minutes.

Use a potty ring, not a potty seat. The potty ring goes directly on top of the regular toilet seat. Try to buy the least fancy one and one that has the largest "diameter" of opening. I just did a quick search in amazon and walmart for the latest offerings, and those things look like little rockets that can go to the moon (child optional).

The potty ring is useful to take when outside the house also. My kids used it for both pee and poo in public restrooms. Easier than putting the toilet seat cover that anyway slips away with a wriggly child sitting on it. And many public places don't have toilet seat covers or are out of them just when needed. We had one for just using in public bathrooms. Though I did end up washing it each time we used it outside the home.

Don't buy the "travel" potty ring. This can be collapsed/folded, but the gaps between the folds can pinch child's butt or thigh. Ouch. Also, don't use the splatter/splash shield. As you lift the child or put him down on the toilet, the shield can hurt the child as it is out of your sight when you are lifting the child.

4. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Let me tell you what I did for my son. When he was 1 1/2 year old, we were in an apartment (USA) where there is no carpet and also we don't have much friends who visit us in weekdays. Me and my son alone. First I bought a musical potty,which makes sound when pee. First I tried him taking him every half hour,then tried spraying water on his private part (I thought water feeling will make him pee) didn't work out. So I made him roam around house without undies. Also showed him how the potty makes sound when he pee inside. First there were lots of accident when he pee in living area. So I kept the potty near to living area and when he starts to pee,I lift him and make him stand near potty and allow him to pee remaining in potty. Sometimes he forcefully stopped the remaining pee. But when I repeated this many time, he understands he can't stop it.later I started to give him stickers when he pee in potty. It works. Just try. All the best

sumalynux likes this.
  5. sumalynux

Use diapers and keep saying him to convey or say to u when he needs potty time

Yes I use huggies training pants all day.. But now to potty train started putting only cotton shorts/pants hoping he will feel wetness n stop doing it.

u keep observing him , and when u notice him to poo/pee taking him to bathroom ..

Yes i have taught him bedroom bathroom kitchen. He correctly points if asked where is bathroom.. so when i take him bathroom n say "susu" n run tap. He kinda bends n "says" susu :).. (very funny). Pulls bathroom tissue, plays n come back after 10min :(

sindmani likes this.
  6. sumalynux

Thanks..

Our first home in Albany Ny was carpet thats y i kept postponing potty training worrying about accidents. This time in NJ we specifically moved to hard wood floors..
    Yes m trying to leave him in cotton pants to feel wetness.. Am so worried about accidents on rugs. Couch n mattresses is waterproof covering still scares.

7. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

When we first started potty training, we made him ask for a diaper when he needed to pee/poop. He gradually learned to say "diaper" when he wanted to go.

Then we wanted to wean him off the diaper and made him go on the bathroom floor (this was hard work for us but we just wanted to wean him off the diaper)
    He then learned to ask to go to the bathroom when he felt like going.

As the final step (this was the hardest) we started to make him use the toilet. This took about 3 months as he was scared of the height, flush sound and of falling into the commode. We did not use any child seat or ring.
    Then came a point when he really wanted a Thomas train toy. We told him that if he started using the toilet, he would get it.
    And this worked.

When we started potty training, I thought it would never happen but it finally did :)

The main point is to get them to themselves understand when they need to go, and second, to be able to communicate to you in some way that they want to go.

Each child is different, and you have to understand what is holding your child back, how you can make it easier for him etc. Also I am not sure how many months your DS is into 2 years. We started potty training at 2.5 and were done a couple of months before he turned 3.

It also helped that my son started preschool at 2.5, and watching other kids use the toilet quickened the whole process.
    You can try to get the help of a friend or neighbour's kid who is slightly older, as kids always learn faster from peers.

sindmani and sumalynux like this.
  8. Meenarai

Meenarai Senior IL'ite

Even I
    Would suggest you to buy one potty for kids....like there will be different n exciting types of potty for kids....like horse shaped potty,or some different shapes of potty....as he is a boy you buy something he likes ....then ultemetly he would start using it...even my daughter started using her potty when she was 8months old...I use to take n sit along with her....until she got used to it...now she is 3yrs six months n she herself goes to wash room when ever she feels too....so you must put little effort n as soon as possible buy one nice potty for kids then he will get use to it

9. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

He has a favorite car. I bought some yellow clay, threw it in. And when he would play with the car , suddenly say hey car wants to do potty let's go let's help him and make the car sit there and showed him the clay and flush etc. then slowly don't you want to do like car? Let's sit along with car, next step. That's how it went. And this is not my own idea, learnt from a friend who did the same with her son.

Best of luck

10. sumalynux

How old is your kid when you did this.

Can you give link of car ? Potty if possible