Need tips to make chapathis

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by amnilakshmi, May 20, 2015.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I love to make chapathis but it takes around 1 hour for me to prepare 10 chapathis + 1 side dish. I am unable to manage my kids and office work as there are lots of pending work that needs to be completed during evening hours. I had a maid for making chapathis but I feel managing the maid is leaving me with no peace of mind. They talk sarcastically as if we cannot live without them.

I now need tips to prepare chapathis myself. I was actually thinking of preparing the dough and keeping it in the refrigerator. But what about the time taken to roll it and prepare the side dish. I am confused. Please help

Secondly, I would also like to know what are the other options for dinner apart from puris and chapathi. I make dosas, idlis, uppuma, puttu for breakfast (alternate days ) So I don't want to repeat the same for dinner. Please suggest.

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

You can make and keep the dough in fridge.. Even you can roll it into chapattis and keep in between two transparent plastic sheets and store it in freezer. Whenever you want to make , take the rolled chapatti dough and use. For side dish you have to come up with ideas...no idea of before hand preparation..

As for ideas for night time tiffin, you can make upma kozhukkattai, using the arisi upma udaisal (mixture of pacharisi, pepper, jeera, thoor dal soak in water, dry in cloth fry them and grind in a mixer to coarse powder and store the same for usage..google to find out ratio of ingredients)..

Just add the udaisal to as much of hot water and make it a upma and make small elliptical balls using your palms and steam it in a pressure cooker just like idly..Coconut chutney or thakkali sambar goes well with this...

With the same upma udaisal you can make thavalai adais , instead of steam cooking the upma balls, press it into a circle on your palms, put a hole in the middle and fry it in doasa pan, nonstick, whatever using oil + ghee.. The same coconut chutney goes very well with this as well

You can make adai batter the previous day, using Par boiled or idly rice + pacharisi/sona masoori, urad dal, toor dal, channa dal, moong dal and even nava dhanyam of yor preference soak the items in water and grind coarsely in a mixer along with curry leaves, ginger, dry chillies + pepper or green chillies, and a little bit jeera for flavor..

You can eat make these adais by mixing cut veggies like carrot, onion,tomato, potato or even beans and eat as such or make chutney or sambhar or even just jaggery..

You can make ven Pongal using rice & split moon dal...easy receipie, one pot dish.. again goes well with coconut chutney...

You can make arisi maavu items such as vella adai, kara adai..make a dough of rice flour using hot water, add cooked black eyed peas to it ,(kaaramani payiru) add jiggery syrup to it for sweet version, salt for sour version .. After the hot dough cools down make small balls and press it in hands as a vadai and make hole in middle and steam cook as in case of idlys...Goes well with butter ...Yummy...

You can google to find the ratio of ingredients for all items I mentioned...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Pavithrafriendssmiley

3. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

1 side dish is veggie? or some snacks?

4. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

if u soak some lentils like chana, moong or cowpeas or rajma.. when u prepare teh side dish, all taht u need to do is onion and tomato fry and add the pressure cooked dal (pre-soaked) to it. I find this to be the least time consuming of side dishes.

As for the rotis, with practice u can make quicker.

other ideas for dinner is salad.

Or go for wheat dosa - the batter is just wheat, water, green chillies and jeera. if you are a south indian like me, i make dosas faster than rotis. :)