Need Tips For Debit And Credit Card Safety While Shopping Pls...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Needtobestrong, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I am a home maker in India right now..I do not have a credit card as It wasn’t approved by my bank earlier due to my being unemployed...so I use debit card , online wallets, internet banking etc for cashless payment...
    Pls forgive my ignorance as there are many things i dont have full knowledge of...
    1. My magnetic stripe debit cards have all been deactivated as per RBI guidelines , by default one debit card was issued to me , EMV chip based one with NFC I,e contactless technology...as I understand any transaction less than 2000 rs need not require PIN input..provided used by card reader or pos terminal enabled with NFC, RFID etc...how to make sure it isn’t misused by anyone for unauthorised transactions?Should I purchase an RFID blocking card holder or wallet?

2. Many supermarkets , retail outlets, restaurants in my area don’t have Card reader with NFC technology, I,e smaller shops maybe...so have to insert and swipe the debit card into slot, enter amount and PIN manually...but I feel uncomfortable thinking whether my debit card details are exposed and anyone will see and note it or misuse it, either to make counterfeit card or use details for online transaction etc...sometimes it maybe a crowded store where we can’t track perfectly who’s hands the card is when we hand to them for payment...or in restaurant when card is handed from waiter to other person for payment..
    I faced an irritating situation recently when I swiped a debit card of well known bank in a reputed household appliances outlets , the bill amount was about 500 Rs..I was running short of changes in cash so have debit card for payment, card reader was right in front of me..the store guy was about to swipe it, then told me, no madam we don’t accept card payment for lesser than. 2000 rs bill amount...I then told him, ok give back the card I’ll pay by cash...he dint give back , was just holding the card in his hand, then opened the system software and turned the are over, looked like he was going to enter debit card detail so there...I stopped him immediately then and there and asked him “ what are you doing “ he said “ madam if u give me debit card details I’ll check whether you have debit card points to redeem bill amount” ..I was really pissed of and told him how can you do without asking me and I’m not interested in redeeming any points and took back card and paid with cash..
    Am I over reacting or is this a new way to cheat customers?
    Does striking out CVV in back of card help in securing safety to some extent?

3. I checked with one more bank and they said they may issue a credit card to me with very low limit if approval is got from seniors...( lower limit as I’m not working and do not have monthly income from salary ) shall I just use credit cards from now on, to do shopping in stores? ( I usually shop for smaller amounts at a time only, like groceries, clothes , eating out, stuff like that )
    I do have awareness of all this stuff but maybe some knowledge gap is there and some things I won’t know..
    Kindly advice..

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite