1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Therapist/counsellor Reference

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ILUser07, Jul 17, 2018.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs,

I am researching for quite some time for a good counselor or therapist who can help me with my marital problems(to help me cope with spouse with anger issues). I live in Dallas and I am looking for a counselor local to dallas or someone who can help me over phone or video call. I tried searching online but couldn't find any reviews or testimonials.
    Please provide me references if any.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, if you are employed, ask about EAP program to your admin. They may give you contact numbers and once you contact, EAP program will suggest you good counselors in your area. They will cover a few sessions free. Please explore it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Hi DDream, I did that. But all of them are american therpaists that they recommended. I am thinking cultural differences will play its role. My main reason for counseling is marital issues and whom ever i talked to in initial consulting are saying its abusive relation and asking me to divorce. I first want to learn to deal with my husband and process and streamline my thoughts before coming to a decision.
    That is the reason I am looking for any experienced Indian therapist but i am not able to find one.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, city counsel would be a good place to start. I also did a quick search on W omens Shelter, Dallas. Give them a call and see if they can suggest an Asian/ Indian therapist.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I don't think any good therapist, Indian or American, will suggest you to stay in an abusive relation. You can tell them you dont want a separation due to social setup or whatever reasons, but need their help to empower you and gain clarity to face the issue. Your husband needs counselling . So seek counselors help how you can bring him to counselling or therapy. May be you need to give an ultimatum to your dh - separation or counselling. I don't have much idea about how counselors deal with each situation. Hope you find the right one and sort out issues in your life

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

What makes you feel American therapist are not good. I suggest you try. Indian therapistschools follow the same law here. No one is going to say divorce because you can sue them.