Need suggestions for family planning

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by sunitha, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Birth Control Pills

Hi Anitha,
    Hope Rithik is doing well! I'm glad to see your profile pic. He looks so cute!

Regarding Loesterin 24 Fe, I had one issue with it. My milk supply kept going down when I tried it at 7 months postpartum. I almost dried up and my LO was allergic to formula, so I had to go off it. There is another brand of pill(mini-pill) without the estrogen in it but it's not as effective as Loesterin. I quit BCPs altogether after that one trial.

^^Added - I've always gained wt on Loesterin unless I was very strict with what I ate/drank. I guess all pills have that side effect for some women. I don't think there is any issue on future pregnancies, better check with your doc about it. Btw, it is supposed to be a very effective form of birth control if you take it regularly, same time daily and don't skip a single pill. I think the success rate is somewhere around 90-95%(The package will have more information).

Laks

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Laks,

Thanks.
    But how come GYN gave you that tab when you are bf ing? I was not given any BCP at all. Just am going thru a tough decision so I had to stop bf ing & take this pills. My son is already 8mon old so am planning to stop pumping & take these pills.

So, wt gain will be the only side effect for me right? But am dieting and am ex ing regularly so I dont think even then it may cause wt gain. I will watch my wt gain constantly and will decide to stop or continue

Adding - I dont have my package info yet becoz GYN gave me few samples only. After 4w she said she will give me prescription for that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Laks09

Anitha,
    My Gyn told me that some people have the issue with milk drying up due to the pill but if supply is well established like it was in my case, she felt I could give it a try. She also gave me the option of the mini-pill which does not hurt the supply but is not as effective. I tried the Loesterin knowing the risk. Didn't work out because of my supply did go down dramatically.
    Other than wt gain, I had a lot of other side effects. I was on Loesterin before my DD and didn't have those funny side effects(mood swings/terrible cramps during periods/migraines etc) but I guess after delivery my body was behaving in a very funny way.
    I'd say give it a try and if it does not work out then try something else, maybe an IUD or barrier methods etc.
    I can't understand why your gyn didn't give you the mini-pill which is safe while BFing. If she didn't want to give you the pill, she could have offered you an IUD at least. I'd change the doctor if I were you, does not sound like a very responsible doc according to me.

Anyway, take it easy.

Regards,
    Laks.

4. AnithaPartha

Laks,

Changing a GYN just for not giving BCP's when bf ing is not a good idea right?
    Who knows.. Some doc may be careless just giving BCP's when bf ing also even knowing side effects. tell me.

I think all BCP's are not safe when bf ing and thats the reason they refused each time when I asked for it. I will double check on my 4th week checkup with her.

Oh you tried it before your DD.. hmm, well, I havent tried this pill yet.. I will see how my body behaves after delivery and will tell my GYN in my 4th w chkup

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. Laks09

Anitha,
    Agreed, estrogen pills dry up milk and is not a good option. But progesterone only mini-pill is what is regularly prescribed by Obs to patients who request it and is safe during BFing. It is not as effective as the estrogen/prog combined pill but is still some protection. I was wondering why you were not given that option.

Anyway, try the Loesterin. That's probably the mildest of the est/prog pill there is. Hope you will not have the side effects.

Laks

6. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Thanks,
    OOPALL!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
  7. AnithaPartha

Oopall,

Thanks.
    My doc asked me to take this pill ASAP in order to avoid getting preg. I saw in internet, though I use this pill, my dh has to use C in order to prevent preg atleast for 1month seems.

8. Laks09

Anitha,
    Yes, it takes a month for the pill to take effect. Sorry I forgot to add that part in my post. Use alternate BC methods for the first month.

L

9. AnithaPartha

laks,

thanks.
    quick question - say suppose i took pills for 1-2months and then if i change my mind to stop pills and continue other BC method(condoms) will it help me out? I think this is a Q to my GYN, but since i cannot go to her now hence the post.

10. Laks09

Anitha,
    Changing over to an alternative form of BC should not be a problem at any point in time. No harm. You can try it out and if it is not convenient for you, you can switch to condoms or other forms of BC. Btw, when you stop the pill and get back on it for any reason, you will have to use a back up that month since it takes one cycle for the pill to be effective. The insert talks about all of this in detail.
    Btw, while on the pill be careful with the time you take it. I always had to use a back up because I never took it at the same time daily. Also, if you use antibiotics of any kind, the effectiveness of the pill is lost and that month you will have to use a back up(condoms).

HTH,
    L