Need suggestions for family planning

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by sunitha, Nov 21, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Sterilisation

I realised that there is not one thread on this topic and hence decided to open one myself.

After the birth of my second child,I am planning to get sterilised as a means of family planning. What are the types of sterilisations available...which are the safe ones..what are the side effects of each procedure?

Have any of you undergone sterilisation? Which method did you opt for and why?

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Re: Sterilisation

:thumbsdowntsk

Is there no one who can respond to this?

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

hi sunitha, sorry i don't have an answer but in a similar situation as you. i think of asking my doc on my next visit. i basically have to understand if it's done just after delivery or few months after birth etc., did you check with your doc? i suppose the procedures and options available do not vary much in the developed countries. latha

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

There are some permanent procedures like burning a part of the fallopian tube and there are some temporary procedures too where we have to keep repeating the procedure every five yrs.My doc says the temporary one is the one that is most commonly used and she is recommending that.It will be done some 6 weeks after delivery.

5. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunitha/traveller,

I had my second child thru C-sec in 2006 and the doc(in US) said she would go ahead and do the sterilisation procedure (tieing...not burning...as far as i remember...of the fallopian tubes...this is what she suggested and said it is permanent)by our permission. I got it sterlised hence and have no side effects till date.
    Again in US the rrules might vary from state to state. One of my friends had her second child thru VBAC and the doctor said she has to come back after sometime. My friends went back again after a long gap of 8 months as she wanted some help around when her parents came and them she too went for the fallopian tubes one.
    As im not aware of the temporary method which u mentioned i cannot say anything about it.
    Still, does anyone like to get bothered every 5years after having 2 kids :( ...my personal opinion.
    In almost all countries, sterilisation is recommended with c-section and not when normal delivery.
    HTH

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot,HW.

Well,when I was writing my earlier post,I was not very clear on certain things.Now that I am clear,I will put it down here.

The process of tieing(burning a part of the fallopian tube) is called sterilisation.All others are called contraception.Like you said,sterilisation is a permanent procedure and it requires surgery that is why in the case of c-sections,it is done during the time of delivery itself so that the mother need not go thru' another surgery to get it done.In the case of vaginal delivery,if we choose to do sterilisation,it can be done anytime after 6 weeks.Again,it requires surgery and a very short hospital stay,maybe sometimes as short as a day's stay only.But since it is surgery,we might need help at that time and may not be able to manage everything on our own.

I chose to do Mirena IUD contraception and have already gone ahead and done it.It was very painless and very easy.My OB/GYN did it within a minute.It was a little uncomfortable but definitely painless.I will have to replace it every 5 yrs.

I wanted to go for something like this because this is reversible if there are any side effects unlike the permanent procedure.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  7. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

During my last OB/GYN visit I recently came across a new sterilization method. Check out
    What is Essure?
    Titianium tubes are inserted into your fallopian tubes and after 3 months tissue grows and blocks the fallopian method. This method is irreversible. My doc said this method is very safe, does not need surgery and she is performing this for a lot of women. The only drawback is that we need to take alternative contraception during the 3 months when the tissue grows to block the tubes. For some people it may even take more than 3 months.

Thanks,
    Kavya

8. swetakiran

swetakiran New IL'ite

hi sunitha,

iam in same boat, my baby is 4 month old, doing googling on steralisation, confused, why dint u opt for 10yrs cu-t, its metal releasing safer than harmone releasing one and long duration and now comes in small mirena size,iam managing alone and BF, so tieing loops is difficult, what do u suggest? after 2 children, iam seeking for steralisation. iam interested in essure but its recently introduced and no reports on long term effect so bit hesitant.

warm regards shwetha

Sansa likes this.
  9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Are u talking about Paraguard? I am not clear on this.My gyn suggested Mirena and when I read all reviews on that,they were quite positive and it is 98% effective.With Paraguard,I did not get such a +ve f/b.

Also,Mirena releases Progestrone which does not cause any harm.So I opted for that.

10. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Birth Control Pills

Hi friends...

My question is regarding the birth control pills. My gyne has suggested to take Loestrin24 Fe as a contraception pills. This is the first time I am going to use any birthcontrol pills. So, I would like to know the pros and cons about the pills. Please suggest other pills which has less effect on the body like harmones or weight wise. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008