1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need Recommendation On Comforters

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gankita, Jul 9, 2016.

1. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

I have now moved to houston from cold area. We had warm plush blankets from Target since then.
    WE turn on ac and continuing using it. But i wanted to buy coton comforters as its already very hot in houston. Also my child is asthma prone, so he is very sensitive to cold and warm blanket wont be good for him as well.

Though, i have looked for comforters, not sure which band is good. Pls suggest some good brands that have cotton comforters.
    Thanks a lot

2. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Come on dear ladies pls reply..

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Try cotton quilts JCP /Macy's / Kohl's / Sears might carry good ones. Not sure which one is in your area

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Cotton comforter are rare to find, and will be very warm for Houston. Like jskls said, you need cotton quilts.

You'll have to go in person and check out the feel of the inner side (that touches body). Target has some beautiful ones. I also some at Walmart, but it was "like cotton", not exactly cotton. IKEA might have some options too - or just buy their duvet cover set and put one thin sheet inside it instead of comforter.

TJMaxx will have some good ones, if you are in luck.

I've bought for my kids from Overstock, and it was like $75 for twin set (one quilt, one sham), $90 for Full/Queen - one quilt, 2 shams). Better to go for Full/Queen size, kids grow fast, plus can use for guests too.

Target has the best prints in quilts, and material feels so good too. Just that they never go on sale!

Far as I know, JCP/Sears used to carry, and once, twice a year they went on sale for $40-50.. But off late, I only see non-cotton sets there.

5. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rihana and jskls for the reply.
    I have checked in many stores but wasn't able to decide.
    Are comforters warmer than quilts. I thought quilts are more heavier and warmer than comforters, so was looking for them. I also couldn't fing cotton, mostly all says polyester. In Ross, They had good brands for less price, was not sure if its original or not.
    Anyways, i will check more.
    Thanks again your your suggestions.
    Appreciate it

6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Quilts are lighter than comforters. You can also use flat sheets and cotton blankets instead of quilts. Macy's has great selection in both cotton and polyester mix. I personally won't worry about the brand.

7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@gankita, there are many options. You could get lightweight comforters, blankets, quilts, cotton flat sheets or flannel flat sheets.

Which brand? Depends on your budget.

I personally hate polyester and blends. I'd keep looking for all-cotton.

We use quilts made from cotton saris. I've never found anything to beat them for softness and comfort.

gankita likes this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Do you have an IKEA in your area? They have nice cotton quilts and also comforters in different weights for a reasonable price.
    If you don't mind spending a bit more I have purchased several beautiful cotton quilts from LLBean, which are perfect for summer. Several of them are made in India and the quality is excellent along with a lifetime guarantee. LLBean has periodic 10% off sales.
    Quilts | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Another place for lovely Indian textiles including quilted bedspreads is Saffron Marigold:
    www.saffronmarigold.com

9. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Thanks Amica for replying.
    I am sure quilts from sarees would be amazing. Did you made it by yourself or got it from India?

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hope it is OK to add general questions about quilt fabric.

What is the difference between Polyester and micro-fiber?

Is sateen cotton really cotton?

I sometimes stand in the aisle, close my eyes, and try to feel the material, and figure out if I can tell the difference or is it just in my mind that I prefer one... DH says I look like seven blind men and elephant. :)

gankita likes this.