Need recipes for Urad Dal with skin

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by coolsandy, Mar 21, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

i have urad dal with skin... both split and whole dal with skin... Was wondering what dishes can be prepared with these. I have seen a few people preparing idlis/vadas with these. I wanted to know your own personal experience with this skin dal-as in what dishes do you prepare, what other precautions need to be taken when preparing idlis/vadas? In fact, any tip that comes to your mind.

2. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

You can prepare dosa batter with full skinned udad dal.
    For 4 measure of rice, take 1 measure of udad dal.
    Soak the dal for 4-6 hours ( more the better, it grinds easily).
    Grind rice, and Dal separately. Add 1/2 teaspoon of Methi while grinding dal
    mix with salt.
    Batter goes sour very quickly, so after few hours (4-6 hrs depending on the climate of the place you are living) prepare like normal dosas with oil.
    Best combination for this dosa is Onion, garlic,red chillie, coconut chutney. If you prefer, u can have other chutnies too.

3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

yes, the is how I prepare my dosas too. How do those taste? I mean with urad dal with skin? Any difference in the color/texture/taste?

4. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Color will be obviously not white, but kind of grayish/greenish. No big change in texture, it will be more soft. It tastes awesome to me hmmm yummy...

5. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

U can prepare dal amritsari and maa chole ki dal. See recipes online for urad dal with skin

6. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Uluththan-Kali is something that we group eating as kids. Found a recipe for you as below

INGREDIENTS:

[TABLE="width: 400"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 394"]
    • URAD DAL – 1 cup
    • JAGGERY or PALM JAGGERY – 1 cup
    • GINGELY OIL – 1/2 cup
    • CARDAMOM SEEDS – 4 NOS
    • WATER – AS NEEDED.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    METHOD:

• In a kadai ,roast the urad dal till golden yellow. Powder it in a mixie adding cardamom seeds. Store it in an air tight container.
    • Now take urad dal powder in a bowl and mix 8 cups of water.
    • Cook the urad dal for 7-8 mins. It thickens . Stir well for sometime and make sure there are no lumps formed.
    • Now add the powdered jaggery and mix well . Keep the fire in low flame. Allow it to boil till the raw smell of jaggery emanates.
    • Add the gingely oil and stir well.U’ll get a glossy , sliding non sticky kali is ready to njoy ..
    Delicious , healthy uluthankali is ready to eat !!

1 person likes this.
  7. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Cool sandy..

I use urad dal black with skin for some of the below receipes:
    1. idli dosa- idli we make with split black skin urad dal. It raises more than the normal white urad. For 5 cups of idli rice, I use 1 flattened cup of urad split. After soaking, wash off many times to remove skin. And grind urad and rice as usual. Idlis made this way are much more softer.
    2. Mule ulundhu dosa.- I use whole black urad. For this, 3 cup of rice, and 3/4 cup of whole black urad. Grind and ferment and make dosa. This dosa will be brownish to black in color. It tastes great with onion chutney and gingelly oil. Very healthy.
    3. Ulundhu kali.- as suggested by the other member, we make kali out of it. We grind the black urad dal along with few spoons of rice in the rice mill. When needs , we make kali with palm sugar( karuppati). Make syrup of it, add the grounded urad dal slowly to avoid lumps and add gingelly oil slowly until it gets cooked and oil oozes out. Initially it will look like we are adding more oil, but it will ooze out oil fully. This receipe is given to girls who attain puberty. It strenghthens the hip bones and we ladies can also have it during special days. Very very healthy.
    4. Uluntham paruppu sadham- this Is authentic tirunelveli dish. For 1 cup rice, take 1/3 cup of black split urad. Dry roast the urad until aroma and wash it along with rice. Add this in the pressure cooker and along with that add a spoon of jeera, 1/2 spoon of methi seeds, salt, and finally some fresh shredded coconut and pressure cook until 3 -4 whistles. You can have this with til chutney and papad. Comfort and very very healthy food.
    5. Idli podi- I also make idli podi with this. Instead of the white urad , I replace with the black split urad dal and make idli milagai podi. Very very tasty.

2 people like this.
  8. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

You can Prepare medhu vadas, dosas, utappam, murrukku

9. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

I only know one recipe with black urad dal (urad dal with skin)
    It is very tasty - dal makhani.
    You eat it with hot phulkas.
    Healthy and also good protein intake.
    You'll need whole black urad dal and rajma for this recipe. See videos :)

10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You can pressure cook the Urad Dal with any kind of chopped spinach. Then, heat oil, temper with jeera, hing, methi seeds, chilli, roast some onions in it for a while and add the contents of pressure cooker to it. Add salt to taste. Quick but brilliant dish