1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need info abt good Indian grocery store in Edmonton

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by depma, Nov 30, 2009.

1. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi

I just moved to Edmonton recently. Didnt find any decent Indian grocery store yet... any suggestions? Also, Grace pls see my post in other thread. Wanted to get in touch with u.

Deepa

2. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

Most of Indian grocers are in Millwoods area. From when I've come even taxi drivers say that there is one whole road called 'Spice Avenue' -- but till date I haven't been able to find out which road is that !! :rotflI've also heard of Chinese grocers near downtown area & also one Chinese store in West Edmonton Mall -- till now haven't been to the Mall either , as we have to drive a bit further up North.

Anyway you can get all Indian spices, kinds of rice, oils, indian shampoos, soaps, snacks, vessels, veggies like drumstick,brinjal etc. in the All India Supermarket. It is in Millwoods area only, address is : 4245, 23 Ave. Price is lesser than other grocer , but nice stuff. There is also one more in 34 Ave. which is slightly more expensive than All India [ i think the name is Spice Bazaar, not sure. Will confirm the name later ], but his stuff is good, fresh and you can get almost every spice. In that same area there is one more called Sabzi Mandi --- please don't ever go there, it is utterly horrible !! Stale, dried up fruits,veggies which are put ON SALE at hiked up prices !!

You can also get the dhania, pepper, jeera, red chilly packets, besan, all dals, flours, rice, rajma etc. from Superstore, in the International Foods Aisle ; brand name is Suraj. This supermarket is located much closer, in South Edmonton Common. They are very very good quality, clean & very reasonable price and saves the hassle of driving all the way to Millwoods or 34 Ave. Indian veggies are also available in Superstore, but in great demand, so get finished very fast.

Do you have a vehicle or you commute by taxi & ETS ? Where are you purchasing fruits,veggies as of now ?
    Which part of India are you from ?

Any other info. you require, don't hesitate to ask. Will share whatever I've learnt [ & am still learning].

Hope this is useful for you in making your purchases.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  3. depma

depma New IL'ite

Thanks Grace, yet again! I went to Spice Bazaar y'day, it was good. I havn't moved to the apt yet since Im waiting for my stuff to arrive from Toronto. We do have a rental car as of now.

Im form Chennai, where r u from?

Deepa

4. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

You're welcome Deepa. You know when I saw 'pottukadalai' in Spice Bazaar, I was so delighted for haven't seen it in over a year . I promptly bought 4 packets :)
    I'm from Chennai too :cheers !
    Bye for now .

5. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hello fellow Chennaite!

Good to know that u are from madras!
    I was actually wondering if this place had any southindians at all.. now I know one for sure!:)

Regards
    Deepa

6. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

How are you ? Are you enjoying the sub-zero temperatures in this bright & sunny winter . :)

Have you moved to your new place ?

Just thought of asking you, have you come across Nielson brand milk in any store so far ? It gave the best taste to tea & payasams but after relishing it while in Toronto, haven't been able to get hold of it anywhere. The other available brands here are not that tasty at all.
    Also, I was not able to find khuskhus [ kasakasa in tamil ].

If you come across any of these, do let me know.

Thanks,
    Grace.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi Grace!

Yes I have moved to the apartment but all my stuff is still in transit.
    The weather here is wicked! It took me some time to get used to it, guess minus 30 degrees is the norm temp! I get tensed only because I have to dress up my son in layers before stepping out. But one thing I notice here is that no matter how cold it is outside it doesn't stop people from having a good time. I see the stores/mall crowded even on a very cold day.

I havn't seen Neilson milk either. Will sure let u know if I see and also khasakasa.
    Hope all's with u otherwise. Contrary to what I thought I actually like this place , now that im getting used to it. Looks like next week will be nice with a high of minus 6 !

Regards
    Deepa

8. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi Grace

How r u doing? I went out grocery shopping y'day and saw khuskhus(Poppy seeds)in one of the Indian stores called "Fruiticana" . It is located in the plaza next to spice centre on 34 ave (behind New Asian Village Restaurant). They have lots of it in the spice and condiment section at the rear end of the store.

Hope u find this useful.

Regards
    Deepa

9. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks a ton dear !! Very nice of you to immediately post it here.
    I've been to that same area quite a few times, and even browsed thro' another grocer 'Sadhguru' but somehow missed this 'Fruiticana' . Next time, will surely purchase from there.
    Thanks.

Hi Deepa,

Last winter was our first one here, so felt rather severe trudging thro' the blizzard like conditions , walking my kid to school & back. This year, we're more prepared so enjoying it better.

Not just -6 , it is going to be zero on Thursday !
    Yes, we are a happy , fun-loving lot here, whatever the climate .:)

Bye.

10. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

Thought of you yesterday while I saw 'Neilson' butter in Superstore & decided that I have to say 'Hi' to you today :).
    How are you doing Deepa ? Hope your belongings would've arrived safely & you must've happily settled down by now ?

Have you been able to purchase all your requirements ? Any assistance you may need, do let me know .

Is your son going to pre-school / daycare ? How are you spending your time ? If I remember correctly, I think there is a Sai baba temple in your neighbourhood ?

Do stay in touch.

Regards,
    Grace.